Yohan Cabaye

Anorthernsoul

This transfer more than any other shows the impact of the new Sky deal. While he may have been swayed a little by knowing Pardew and the club being in London, he would clearly have rather gone to a higher profile European club if they'd been willing to meet his wage demands, which must be quite high now he's had a taste of the top table with PSG.

Can you blame him for wanting to leave? His behaviour was a bit shoddy but, even though it hasn't worked out fantastically for him in terms of playing achievements, staying here while the club went backwards was a worse option for any decent player.

Still it puzzles why he would move where Pardew is in charge, if he was so keen on a move away from Newcastle.

How so? do you think if he hadn't been on around 30k a week here and closer to the 100k of psg/palace he would've went on strike quite as quick? :lol:

#1 He hadn't quite hit the big time that the champions league big hitters wanted him, his wages at lille were a bit shit, goes on strike to force move to us as a stepping stone(plus gets a wage increase from us)

#2 we got him

#3 he played well got on the radar of the bigger clubs who didn't need to risk signing him before, and still don't need to pay over the odds for him

#4 PSG with insane riches try to do a city, have a go at catapulting themselves into champions league contenders by pissing money away over the odds on the likes of Pastore and co (good players but stupidly increased fees)

#5 Cabaye was linked to arsenal and various other clubs, but only PSG were willing to pay the insane money for him

#6 Cabaye takes a huff to force through move on mega money to PSG

#7 Just like Arsenal etc thought and wouldn't stump up £12m+100k he's not worth, Cabaye hits PSG turns out he can't compete with the other midfielders at PSG on that kind of money, does next to fuck all

#8 now on insane wages and not good enough to warrant 100k at other champions league clubs and not needed by PSG fucks off to the nearest desperate club willing to pay his wages.

he doesn't give a fuck who he plays for in those circumstances Pardew matters not, it's win/win, big money to do ok at a shite club, if it goes wrong and they go down he gets to leave because they won't be able to afford to keep him on the books, if it goes well he might get another move or at worst gets 100k a week to stay in london.

Agree with this. :panic:

Fair play to Palace. They are buying a player in his prime and a player who, when he last played in England, was one of the best players in the league. I think his prime motivation is playing time ahead of Euro 2016 in France. It just doesn't seem as though he has had many options so if Palace are going to pay him £100k then why not. I'll bet there are worse players than him on £100k.

I would have loved us to buy him for £13mm and pay him £100k but our business model is all about making money through developing young p'ayers for a profit rather than, heaven forbid, buying proven talent who are going to improve us immediately.

Still can't understand him going to play for that utter prick Pardew mind.

Whether he came for the money or not, he's still gonna be miles better than anything we've got in midfield. I'd have him back here no bother.

Aye, all those slagging him wouldn't be complaining if we had signed the cunt

The guy went on strike to force a move away from us. And now he wants to come back for triple the wages leading into the twilight of his career?

No thanks

You're right, I'm much happier signing no one

It also shows that Pardew isnt the complete twit a lot of our supporters thought he was.

Not necessarily. Pardew guaranteed him games and made him the focal point of our team. Of course Cabaye is going to love him.

you're right, we activated a release clause while he tried to get a better contract couldn't from them or other suiters so ended up with us, didn't exactly leave on good terms.

But they still had hazard so probably didn't give a shite

Simply not true, it was arranged even before the end of their season. No waiting around for better offers etc.

"Yohan told us yesterday – first me, then the whole group before the game – that he has chosen to join Newcastle. It is a choice that I respect, although I wish he continued the adventure with us."

I'm with Ant, glad we're signing Wijnaldum for roughly the same fee and less wages than Crystal Palace are spending on Cabaye.

Palace are going to have to buy another striker as Chamakh/Gayle aren't anywhere near the quality that Ba was.

He could work well with Jedinak and Bolasie though. That's if Pardew doesn't revert to direct balls, hoping for individual moments of quality to wrest victories from mediocrity.

Not necessarily. Pardew guaranteed him games and made him the focal point of our team. Of course Cabaye is going to love him.

A quality player like him wouldnt sign for a manager he thought was clueless.

The Pardew debate has been done to death and I appreciate the football was dour and he was complete Yes-man but from a business point (Ashleys) of view he would have kept us up every year. Even with the shit squad we have.

A quality player like him wouldnt sign for a manager he thought was clueless.

The Pardew debate has been done to death and I appreciate the football was dour and he was complete Yes-man but from a business point (Ashleys) of view he would have kept us up every year. Even with the shit squad we have.

He would if he thought "Look, this guy is a fucking joke, but I was able to perform at a standard high enough in that League that ensured I was picked for my national side." Which, ahead of Euro 2016, is surely his motivation.