Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt

Christmas Tree

I think whatever the truth is in this story (and I don't buy for a second that it's just some made up bullshit), it's looking more and more likely we that we don't have the money to spend this window that many were expecting.  We may not have used the Sissoko money or dipped into the parachute payment for the signings we made in the summer, but I certainly don't think they translate to available funds this window and possibly not in the next.

Personally I don't think there's ever been much change to the transfer policy and certainly any major purchases will have always been restricted to players who can be here for an extended period or be sold for a profit should it come to that (there never has seemed to have been any pressure to sell anyone).  Whether or not players like Gamez or Murphy would be sanctioned going forward (Ashley could certainly argue that they've not been great value so far) may be where there is a change of attitude.

Could Ashley actually be that stupid? Well of course.

But I'd imagine that this would have been a red line laid down in the negotiations for Rafa to take over and to stay on. The only way they would attempt to move the goal posts now is if they wanted rid of him and I can't see that being the case.

Though if you do look at our summer inwards transfers it's a bit of a mixed bag with just about more successes than failures.

Undermining Benitez and possibly forcing his resignation would be Ashley's most moronic move yet, and there's been stiff competition.

Could he be that stupid? Of course he could, look at his record. Will he? I fucking hope not as there's little chance a manager of Rafa's quality would ever work for him again.

Agree with Gloom, Rafa is our last chance with respect of trading on our past success, to have a manager of his calibre. That said, this all has a disturbing ring of plausibility to it.

I think ewerk makes a good point about the summer transfers mind, it's not like players such as Gamez and Murphy have been particularly well involved - good cover options, one of which is certainly proving his worth now, but hard to argue as having made financial sense from Ashley's point of view.

Ultimately you'd never expect there to be entirely no friction between the board and the manager as they're always going to have slightly different concerns, but I think Carr is the problematic figure here. He's 72 ffs, can't he just retire?

Ashley has an incredible knack for fucking things up when they're going well so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if there was a degree of truth to all this.

He'll take us up and walk in the summer.

I agree he'll leave us were he started off back in the Premiership. I'd imagine he's biting his lip at the moment not wanting to unsettle his players. If he had full control like he was told he'd have, I'm fairly sure he would have said so in the press conference. But with his "it's tricky" answer you can't help but think Ashley's up to his old tricks again. Finally if Benitez were to leave the club I'm fairly sure we'd find out why because he'd tell us. If this were to happen i'd expect boycotts & protests aimed at hounding Ashley out once & for all. As it is we're top of the league on course for promotion but at what price ?

Ashley's owned the club for just over 9 & a half years he's certainly had some managers when you consider Pardew did a 4 year stint.

Benitez

McClaren

Carver

Pardew

Hughton

Shearer

Kinnear

Hughton

Keegan

Pearson

Allardyce

Pearson

I can't help but feel that is just a further attempt to lump on to the click bait of that other article, the side is doing well and there isn't a lot going on so they're creating a bit of controversy by making it seem like Rafa is about to be fucked right over and walk.

Maybe it will happen but until it does this is all just the papers, I'm not sure how they would really know what was discussed at that meeting and they seem to be reading a bit too much into what Rafa was saying imo. They're using the fact we've not brought anyone in to help fuel this sort of talk but as the Fish said it could also be Rafa thinking we're top of the league, doing well, and he feels we have enough to get promoted so why spend 15-20m on Championship fodder like Tom Cairney when we could put that money to better use in the summer.

I absolutely do hold Ashley in the lowest regard though and none of this would shock me at all, it would be his most ridiculous decision yet effectively fucking over a Champions League winning manager to give more responsibility to a 72 year old bloke who had us spunking 25m on two shite French players that barely saw the field. You can also point to Carr getting Sissoko etc who we made massive profits on but I don't see why you'd have to fuck a manager over by taking all control away from him to see similar results.

There are times when Newcastle need the bewildered look of The Office’s Tim, played by Martin Freeman, sitting in the background as events play out.

:lol:

:lol:  Loved that too.

In a way that made me want to rewatch The Office and stop watching football altogether. <_<

The thing that makes this so implausible is that we haven't been consistently good in the transfer market since 2013 if we're being generous. Since then we've actually spunked a lot of money on seriously bad players.

What's more, the policy nearly got us relegated twice (both times preceding Ashley spending way more than he wanted to) & did get us relegated once. He really would have to be stupid to be interfering with what Benitez is doing.

On the other hand, what owner doesn't want the club to be buying promising young players with potential resale value?

Dear me what? Love Keegan but he's a bottler. He'd have been off like a shot if placed in the Gillett/Hicks carry on. Then probably sued them.

Keegan valued himself too highly, not enough pragmatism at times but it worked for us and him and bought us and him time when he called Hall's bluff after the Swindon game at home when he told Hall to stick it if wasn't going to deliver his Promise's. I'm 43, KK is the best thing that's ever happened to NUFC by a country mile. We'd be playing Barnsley every season if it hadn't been for him. Bottler, FFS.

• Andrew changed the title to Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt