The greatest match in english history?

Doug2013

coventry beating spurs 3-2 in the fa cup final was a belter. keith houchen flying header, underdogs coming from behind. rare you get a cup final as entertaining as that these days.

Orchard Mews care home v Briardene Care home

1-0 to Briardene and it's a shame the cameras were not there, as the lead up play took over 400 passes before it trickled over the line.

In my living memory (since 1977) it was probably the euro game against Scotland where Gazza scored that absolutely wonder goal in 96, but I was lucky enough to be there and just the right age to have a proper all week piss up to boot.

Totally subjective.

Biggest party atmosphere I've ever witnessed was the 1-0 win over Pompey in 1992. All the examples above are candidates.

However Sunderland / Charlton isn't even the best Play Off final there's been - Blackpool / Cardiff topped that one.

Totally subjective.

Biggest party atmosphere I've ever witnessed was the 1-0 win over Pompey in 1992. All the examples above are candidates.

However Sunderland / Charlton isn't even the best Play Off final there's been - Blackpool / Cardiff topped that one.

I was at that game, it was a quality game all the goals were in the first half though and I think the mackem one was even more exciting.

The best English game any of us have ever seen was the first Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3, it's boring saying it but it was. Other than the toon games, I think Blue Dippers 4 Wall Pushers 4 was a fantastic advert for English football, some brilliant goals by Beardsley and Barnes too.

The best English international in our lifetimes in terms of wanting England to do well was either Holland 4-1 or Germany 5-1, but as an actual game with two sides playing brilliantly, I'd have to say England 3 Argentina 2 in 2005 was the most enthralling well balanced international game I can remember. Amazing for a friendly.

Saw us beat Leicester 5-4 in a great come back then the next season went to Filbert Street to see another end to end game where they did us 5-4. Quinny scored a hat-trick in the defeat but another soon to be hero did the dirty and scored three for the Foxes. Who was he? As an aside, a friends dad drove us down for this game and he couldn't get parked in a tight space so he made us lift another car up and move it so he could get in. :lol:

Difficult as a fan to look past NUFC games. I got pretty excited by:

Man City vs QPR to win the title was a pretty amazing.

Watford vs Leicester in the play off semi

These are more great finishes than great games though.

The Charlton v Mackem play off was good as was Readings a couple of years later, was going to mention the Liverpool v Everton 4-4 cup game but Stevie beat me to it, I thought their games were generally shite and completely overplayed by both BBC/ITV so it was a surprise as well as a canny game.

The Pompey game of 1992 is the most emotional and nerve wracking I've been to. When they say 'pandemonium' to describe a winner they can put this game as a reference.

The best English international in our lifetimes in terms of wanting England to do well was either Holland 4-1 or Germany 5-1, but as an actual game with two sides playing brilliantly, I'd have to say England 3 Argentina 2 in 2005 was the most enthralling well balanced international game I can remember. Amazing for a friendly.

Everyone talks about the 5-1 as the best performance by an England team - probably because we well and truly put one over on the Germans after years of torment.

The 4-1 win over Holland though for me was the most complete England performance I've ever seen. We completely destroyed a very, very good Dutch side. The German side of 2001 was abject and a shadow of both it's former and latter self.

I thought England looked decent tonight just either selfish or wayward with their final balls. Ireland defended very well apart from the goal.