Perch to Wigan for £700k

Kid Dynamite

You are allowed to leave spaces and players aged under 21 do not need to be registered (I believe unless they turn 22 before the calendar year is out)

We need to have a look at youth coaching, I read quite often the u18s and u21s have been battered. Since 2000 I would say we have produced Taylor and Carroll who are of Premier League standard. Others who were or are just not good enough are the likes of Ramage, Huntington, Chopra, Shola. There is also Sammy, Dummett, Newton who are at the very best lower end Championship standard.

If there was a change to the rules, such as a max of 5 foreign lads, you would probably notice a sharp overhaul in the coaching standards for youth in England.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would have liked him to stay but I don't blame him for leaving. I'm more inclined to think its him wanting to be a regular than us shifting him on.

Means Anita, Gosling and Bigi getting more game time.

Good luck to him.

Nobody will buy Gosling.

He's just not done anything. Guthrie at least looked half-decent in the odd occasions he got his chance. Gosling hasn't done anything what so ever.

He'll see out his contract, then join a Championship club, see out his career at a leisurely place, get into gambling debts to the wrong people and beckon an embittered mercenary working in the shadows for whomever pays the most money and asks the least questions. His final day will see him lay down his life so that people like you and me can live in blissful ignorance of this world's foetid underbelly.

Dan Gosling... he never wanted to be a hero.

Dan Gosling, "I never asked Mike Ashley to sign me."

Bought on a clause, not on skill or a need, bought with a hope he would be ok after his injury. Got him for zip so took a chance. He'd end up with headphones on at somewhere like Charlton v Gillingham for Sky sports Saturday but as an ex-player for a North-East club it's unlikely.

The one thing I like about Gosling is that he seems to have a knack of creating very good chances by making intelligent runs. That he's a very ordinary finisher doesn't help.

I reckon he could get goals though given an extended run. The problem is the rest of his game doesn't seem up to the job.

At the time we got him on a free he would have more than likely been a half-decent squad player due to the level that we were at but the players we've signed since has evolved our squad that has meant there's no place for him.

At the time we got him on a free he would have more than likely been a half-decent squad player due to the level that we were at but the players we've signed since has evolved our squad that has meant there's no place for him.

But, by gum, we'll sell enough players to make sure there is a place for him!

I thought he did well for us, especially towards the end . I actually thought he put in some stella performances last year and was a vast improvement on the year before.

I know he's a squad player, but he was a versatile and committed one.

Here we go again, selling from our now piss takingly wafer thin squad , without buying first.....

He said: “I appreciate that Alan Pardew did everything he could to keep me.”

Perch, though, was optimistic about his future, adding: “I am delighted to be joining Wigan. It’s a great club.

“I’m looking forward to the challenge.”

And explaining his feelings on being allowed to leave, Perch said: “I understand Newcastle’s new transfer policy. Time will tell if that is the right route.

He said: “I appreciate that Alan Pardew did everything he could to keep me.”

Perch, though, was optimistic about his future, adding: “I am delighted to be joining Wigan. It’s a great club.

“I’m looking forward to the challenge.”

And explaining his feelings on being allowed to leave, Perch said: “I understand Newcastle’s new transfer policy. Time will tell if that is the right route.

Perhaps as a parting gesture he could explain it to the the supporters?....

Edited by PaddockLad

So the manager wanted to keep a player who was earning little money but was quite useful and we've ended up selling him for a pittance anyway?

The one blessing is we are reasonably strong in the center but not if Tiote/Cabaye get their moves.

I think the big question is whether we actually still need him. Plainly last season we did (as a midfielder), but perhaps Bigi can step into his shoes this season.

It's certainly a strange decision unless you think he's surplus to requirements or we're going to bring in someone better. To me the only thing that makes sense is that they think he's shit in defense and not needed in midfield

Perhaps as a parting gesture he could explain it to the the supporters?....

Already been explained hasn't it? We won't give bigger money contracts to players in their late 20s or 30s whose best years are behind them.

This time next year he'll be 28 and walking on a free. We could pay him a million in wages and forego a £700k tranfer fee, but that's a lot of money for the 20 appearances he might make, tops.

People really value Perch at £100k a game?

^^^ ASHLEY APOLOGIST ALERT ^^^ ^^^ ASHLEY APOLOGIST ALERT ^^^ ^^^ ASHLEY APOLOGIST ALERT ^^^ ^^^ ASHLEY APOLOGIST ALERT ^^^ ^^^ ASHLEY APOLOGIST ALERT ^^^ ^^^ ASHLEY APOLOGIST ALERT ^^^ ^^^ ASHLEY APOLOGIST ALERT ^^^ ^^^ ASHLEY APOLOGIST ALERT ^^^ ^^^ ASHLEY APOLOGIST ALERT ^^^ ^^^ ASHLEY APOLOGIST ALERT ^^^ ^^^ ASHLEY APOLOGIST ALERT ^^^ ^^^ ASHLEY APOLOGIST ALERT ^^^ ^^^ ASHLEY APOLOGIST ALERT ^^^ ^^^ ASHLEY APOLOGIST ALERT ^^^ ^^^ ASHLEY APOLOGIST ALERT ^^^