mackems vs Newcastle United

Brock Manson

It's no surprise that this has been a horrible game of football, but it still deserves mention. They've done well in breaking up the game into individual battles of physicality rather than a whole game of football. On top of that their shock and awe approach paid dividends early on.

We've had enough ball to have settled into the game but we've never effectively managed to control the pace of the game. Part of that comes down to having central defenders who aren't particularly comfortable on the ball. Because of this Santon and Debuchy really need to increase tier involvement in playing the ball out. Santon has been ok in that regard but Debuchy was missing for the first half hour.

Although Ben Arfa has had a lot of the ball he's not being very effective with it. I had hopes that having that much possession would have given him the chance for his ability to shine through but that hasn't been the case. To this end I really think that Pardew needs to change our shape up front - or at very least the positioning of our players. There can be no comparisons drawn between Sunderland and Liverpool, so with that poor half behind us we need to make changes to bring Remy and Gouffran more into the game.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only Ben Arfa and Tiote seem to be aware of what's at stake here. Sissoko is trying but he cant seem to be able to do anything with the ball as usual.Remy and Gouffran completely non existent. I'd put Cisse/Shola on for either of Remy/Gouffran.

Couldn't disagree more, he's laboured, his passes are obvious and easily picked off, he's not chasing down loose balls, he's a passenger today.

I'd have him off for Anita

Think we've put a few decent balls into the box but noone's been there to attack them. Even after the formation change Remy has hardly been where a centre forward should be in such situations.

Couldn't disagree more, he's laboured, his passes are obvious and easily picked off, he's not chasing down loose balls, he's a passenger today.

Thats kind of what 'cant do anything with the ball as usual' implies.

I'd be putting Ben Arfa on the right, take Gouffran off, he's non existent at the moment and put on Cisse. Let's hope they put an effort in the second half, so far they been fucking shit. Larsson is such an arsehole, really hate him.

They want to pack that shite corner routine in as well, with them all standing in a line. Mackems just bumped them all when they started their runs which meant none of them got into the channels and yet another corner was completely ineffective. Starting to think we should just treat corners like throw ins from now on as Pardew has no clue what to do with them.

Would have to agree at this point. Sissoko's size and strength should be put to good effect in a game like this but he's not in the game. Anita will help to regain control of the pace of the game.

Along with that either Gouffran needs to be moved to the middle, or into a front two with Remy. Alternatively he could be replaced with Cisse. Cisse will definitely be hungry for a good performance, I like that we have him on the bench.

They want to pack that shite corner routine in as well, with them all standing in a line. Mackems just bumped them all when they started their runs which meant none of them got into the channels and yet another corner was completely ineffective. Starting to think we should just treat corners like throw ins from now on as Pardew has no clue what to do with them.

Yep. Clueless. The best chance we have is the ref giving a pen for shirt pulling at this point.

Better start in terms of our possession, but we were woefully positioned as soon as they got the ball, particularly our central players leaving theirs completely unmarked.