Politics

Christmas Tree

The media have created the UKIP phenomenon and it's disingenuous to suggest anything else. It started in 2012. It got out of control in 2013. Farage is on Question Time more than anyone other than David Dimbleby. The growth in Euroscepticism gave Farage a constant voice in the media, and with that over exposure comes increased support. The same thing happened up here with the Greens. The Greens got barely any coverage until the Green Yes campaign was launched, and the growth in Green membership has been incredible.

It was far from the biggest reason, but was one of the many reasons I voted Yes in the referendum. There's a growth of far right politics in England (I'm not saying we're exempt as we did elect a UKIP MEP, though barely) as the growth of UKIP is bad enough, but it's largely helped pull the Conservatives even further to the right, which is a scary prospect. David Cameron has flip flopped in recent times about his position on Europe till the last couple of months where it became apparent he had to embrace the anti-Europe position to try to win back defecting support. I don't think it's a position he's particularly comfortable with, but the Tories have always put party before people.

Fun Fact: I was in that Starbucks yesterday because Northcote doesn't have a genuinely good coffee shop on it.

Does have some corking boozers though, Holy Drinker, a Draft House and of course Northcote Records.

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/11/04/hung-parliament-now-the-overwhelming-ge15-favourite-on-the-betfair-exchange/

Interesting times. If the SNP poll numbers in Scotland right now are in any way borne out at the GE then Labour could lose 20 MPs north of the border, and then there's the UKIP factor in the idiot havens of Essex and Kent and certain northern cities. Add to the fact that, Farage-lovers aside, no one really likes or trusts any mainstream politicians at all, and things start getting fun. :)

Latest analysis on Electoral Calculus suggests Labour will fall some way short of a majority (going off the polls for the last month) and the few MPs the Lib-Dems would have wouldn't be quite enough for them to form a coalition government (with a majority anyway). Would be interesting to see what the Nats (especially North of the border) might ask for in exchange for their votes in the Commons.

What a fucking joke Milliband and the Labour party are for throwing this chance away. He's barely polling better than Gordon Brown did at the last election. Still difficult to see a Tory win or beyond Labour being the biggest party but a bit of a disaster for the party all the same.

Edited by Alex

You can blame the unions for that. Ed Miliband is a terribly unimpressive man. He isn't the sort of leader you can imagine running the country. His brother on the other hand...

I quite agree. I was lumping the unions in with the Labour party in general but I appreciate who voted him in / chose him over his brother.

The biggest argument we always got about the First Past The Post system was that it produces strong governments. We've obviously still got 6 months to go, but there are no signs anyone is getting a majority again. Surely the argument for electoral reform will be right back on the table, and taken seriously this time. Not nonsense like AV (which I did vote for incidentally) which was only slightly better, but hardly any good.

That's the problem for them. Someone like Andy Burnham would be decent as a future leader but why would he (or Umunna or any of them) throw their hat into the ring now with the risk that'd entail and knowing they don't have enough of a profile beyond the broadly politically aware yet? Different matter when you're appointing someone like Cameron five years out from potentially taking over, but six months away from a GE...