Politics

Christmas Tree

the one thing the tories have shown in the last five years is that an ideological move to shrink the state was more of a priority than looking after the UK economy.

I think they've looked after the economy fairly well. [emoji6]

33afb2e46f23fe2705a41555863a07cc.jpg

Different patter at those, usually along the lines of,

" Check your straps, Pet, then split me in half!"

... Jesus.

All beauty is dead to me now.

I think they've looked after the economy fairly well. [emoji6]

33afb2e46f23fe2705a41555863a07cc.jpg

How does the UK economy compare for the 3 years prior to that?

Like most airy fairy parties the SNP can say what they like because they don't have to run an economy. They just get their allowance and divvy it up.

Labour look to be finished in Scotland.

At that last election the conservatives got over 100 more seats in England than Labour.

There's no way Labour will ever get a majority again in England again and no way the English will tolerate the SNP running the show at every election.

Big changes will follow this election be that voting reform or Scottish independence.

Well Labour would have won clear majorities in 1997, 2001, and 2005 without any Scottish seats. Meanwhile the conservatives haven't been able to muster a majority after a catastrophic crash or almost certainly against Ed Miliband. :lol:

Politics is changing, but there's no evidence of a Tory resurgence is there, despite them having the greatest PM of your lifetime and being backed by a vitriolic press.

I haven't contributed to this discussion for a few reasons, one of them being that I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable and eloquent as some of you when discussing politics, but am thoroughly enjoying reading it. I've had the same reservations over who to vote for as many others but despising Cameron, seeing my dad go through 25 years of poor mental health directly caused by Thatcher's decisions, only recently being given a 1% "pay rise" after 5 years of frozen wages (the same amount of time that I've had another mouth to feed) and feeling thoroughly devalued and disrespected in my profession means that can not and will not ever vote Tory. I'm a single mother and a nurse so Cameron holds as little respect for me as I do for him anyway. Whilst Labour have made mistakes, they still best represent me and my little family, so that's what I have to support.

As you were. I'm hoping for a fairly peaceful shift at work tonight so I can watch things unfold through the night.

Great post and anecdotal evidence is just as valuable as other people's opinions. What has happened to your profession, under the tories, has been disgraceful.

The tories serve the privileged and powerful few. I'm a banker (I know, boo, hiss etc) and my profession (I use the term extremely loosely) is probably the polar opposite of nursing in terms of the people. I tend to work with self serving types who lap up the nonsense they read in The Telegraph and The Mail and couldn't give a fuck about anyone else but themselves. They pretty much all vote Tory. I enjoy the work but it is depressing around election time although at the same time it is always a timely reminder as to why I vote Labour. I vote Labour because I believe in society and I believe in social justice. I think there is a need for people to look out for each other and care for each other. If you think we are all in this together then you should vote Labour or Greens or, at a push, the LibDems. If you want a country full of 'what have you done for me lately' types, then vote Tory.

Nick Clegg, meanwhile, occupied the centre ground between fighting an election and having a dilettantes gap year. Yeah, it was awesome. He was learning to cook, doing a bit of art, helping out at a hedgehog sanctuary. Some days would find him twice in a kitchen, knocking up curries, fish dishes, pancakes He painted a plate at a pottery. He went to Go Ape and had a turn on a zipwire. If it goes tits up in Sheffield Hallam, hes going to risk half a diet pill at a full moon party in Koh Phangan.

:lol:

UKIP candidate was missed off the ballot papers in Darlington

Took several hours for anyone to notice.

Typical rush job by the Polls.

Parky Industries is predicting a minority Lab Govt with SNP to get across the line.

Agreeing with virtually every other poll then ;)

:lol: look at the cunt's face man. please god don't give us another five years of these inbred arseholes.

As Krugman says, pointing to recent growth after austerity was put on hold as a positive is like slapping yourself in the face and saying how great it is when you stop.

superb long read, which Chez quotes, if anyone has time, on the austerity delusion - http://www.theguardian.com/business/ng-interactive/2015/apr/29/the-austerity-delusion

EDIT - i particularly like this quote

about two years ago, then, the entire edifice of austerian economics had crumbled. Events had utterly failed to play out as the austerians predicted, while the academic research that allegedly supported the doctrine had withered under scrutiny. Hardly anyone has admitted being wrong – hardly anyone ever does, on any subject – but quite a few prominent austerians now deny having said what they did, in fact, say. The doctrine that ruled the world in 2010 has more or less vanished from the scene. Except in Britain.

and this

For whatever the politics, the economics of austerity are no different in Britain from what they are in the rest of the advanced world. Harsh austerity in depressed economies isn’t necessary, and does major damage when it is imposed. That was true of Britain five years ago – and it’s still true today.

@@Christmas Tree - educate yourself. Krugman is a Nobel Prize-winning economist.

Edited by Dr Gloom

superb long read, which Chez quotes, if anyone has time, on the austerity delusion - http://www.theguardian.com/business/ng-interactive/2015/apr/29/the-austerity-delusion

EDIT - i particularly like this quote

and this

@@Christmas Tree - educate yourself. Krugman is a Nobel Prize-winning economist.

Krugman bla bla bla

Exactly how we came out the 30's recession.

Krugman bla bla bla

Exactly how we came out the 30's recession.

Bla bla bla - that's actually more articulate than I was anticipating.