Politics

Christmas Tree

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Yes, you’re right. We never revisit who should be in government via the medium of subsequent elections. So that was a brilliant way of illustrating your point :razz: 

Oh come on, its moment in time - its do you want this MP now to enact his manifesto. Once he's in an enacted it - say if it was to demolish a building - you can't vote it undone. You know what I mean man.

Just now, Renton said:

Whatever, I've had years of trying to reason logically on these matters but it always falls on deaf ears. 

Can't you see the irony here? You're as staunch as a brexiteer . Reasoning logically means being open to others views and beliefs as well as trying to influence your own.

I'm doing a truss here now and just flouncing cos its feral and getting a bit silly.

Ok my parting shot - lets follow the notion of it not being binding.

If we held a referendum tommorrow on whether we should have a GE - and we all voted yes.

Would we accept a month later that its not binding so they didnt have to do it?

2 minutes ago, scoobos said:

Oh come on, its moment in time - its do you want this MP now to enact his manifesto. Once he's in an enacted it - say if it was to demolish a building - you can't vote it undone. You know what I mean man.

No, that’s inaccurate. You elect the MP to represent you in Parliament, irrespective of whether or not their party is in power. And you could rebuild a building that had been demolished. So factually incorrect and a bad analogy 👍🏻

Can't you see the irony here? You're as staunch as a brexiteer . Reasoning logically means being open to others views and beliefs as well as trying to influence your own.

I'm doing a truss here now and just flouncing cos its feral and getting a bit silly.

Okay mate, it was a brilliant example of democracy in action, and most people are delighted with the result. PR in action apparently. And it you disagree you're as staunch as a Brexiteer, whatever that means. 

So if you vote Labour in the next GE - then you can change your mind when they get in power?

Was replying to a different post, hence the deletion. 

16 minutes ago, scoobos said:

Now now..

I think this proves my side discussion with Rayvin perfectly tbh - and its not ridiculous.

Saying that there shouldnt be a referendum because people elect governments to make these decisions is saying that a parliamentary democracy makes these high level decisions on the peoples behalf - which says its binding, given the government said they'd put it to MPs in parliament and enact it on a a vote. You can't have it both ways

Is this not ambiguous ?

In the end, the argument comes down to different visions for democracy in the United Kingdom. The conventional view is that ultimate political power lies with Parliament. The High Court came to its conclusion that the referendum was not legally binding guided by “basic constitutional principles of parliamentary sovereignty and representative parliamentary democracy”.

In a parliamentary democracy, as barrister Rupert Myers bluntly puts it, “the people are not sovereign”.

This is what I was replying to. It’s not ambiguous at all. 

Edited by Alex

And fuck me, I was sidetracked by mini debates, but Truss has fucked herself surely - by admitting to not being conservative ?

She mentions the corporation tax rise as being put in by a "Previous government" . what a tit. (easy holden)

10 minutes ago, scoobos said:

There’s no nuance to your argument though. It’s “it was one person, one vote - therefore it was democratic”. How is that being open to other views? It’s been done to absolute death on here but there are loads of arguments (which you may not agree with of course) that the vote, the campaign and the subsequent implementation were not democratic. 

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Yeah, she's absolute toast. I wonder how many letters Sir Graham Brady has received so far. I don't think it'll be long before he needs to make an announcement. 

And the difference this time is the MPs didn't want Truss to start with.

I can't rule out the notion of Johnson putting his name in the hat for a leadership bid either.

3 minutes ago, scoobos said:

And fuck me, I was sidetracked by mini debates, but Truss has fucked herself surely - by admitting to not being conservative ?

She mentions the corporation tax rise as being put in by a "Previous government" . what a tit. (easy holden)

They always use that though. It’s their get out when it’s pointed out how long they’ve been in power. I.e. it was a previous administration. It’s ridiculous but they’ve spent the last god knows how long lying their arses off 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

They always use that though. It’s their get out when it’s pointed out how long they’ve been in power. I.e. it was a previous administration. It’s ridiculous but they’ve spent the last god knows how long lying their arses off 

But if it was a previous administration where is the mandate for the current lot? I know taht's been pointed out loads, for example those Green Peace demonstrators, but it's true. General Election now please. 

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

If the tories attempt another coronation by  that 1922 gang of fuckin arseholes changing the rules we need to start stocking up on petrol and milk bottles. Burn the fuckin place down and start again 

Im actually surprised there haven't been any demonstrations yet.

1 minute ago, Holden McGroin said:

Im actually surprised there haven't been any demonstrations yet.

Most are apathetic because most voted for these fuckers in 2019. They now know Brexit was a hoax for the think tanks and vested interests to get their people right there in the most powerful seats in government and at the moment if their triumph they’ve realised that these people are dangerous disingenuous lying bastards who don’t give a fuck about anything bar this bullshit ideology. Useful idiots abound in government and lots voted for it less than three years ago. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

It's all Remainers' fault. They're everywhere.

Funny how he absolutely loved the Tories, and even talked of coalition when Johnson was elected and then won the GE.

• Like 1