Politics

Christmas Tree

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

It's all Remainers' fault. They're everywhere.

Funny how he absolutely loved the Tories, and even talked of coalition when Johnson was elected and then won the GE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

she took one question from the torygraph, the sun, the bbc, itv then fled

What’s the point in giving The Sun a question? This was their front page today. Actually, that explains it perfectly.

6935D764-8D66-4FA0-984B-E8AE42EAC039.webp

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

If the tories attempt another coronation by  that 1922 gang of fuckin arseholes changing the rules we need to start stocking up on petrol and milk bottles. Burn the fuckin place down and start again 

In my honest view, the time for that was 2010 - I think all neoliberal countries need some kind of arab spring. It's terrible - but the world is going to hell in a handbasket and the ultra wealthy are just grabbing what they can, while they can. Our fundamental economic policy of growth in already super developed countries just cannot work even in the medium term now. We'll be fighting over water in 20 years, let alone oil and gas.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

What’s the point in giving The Sun a question? This was their front page today. Actually, that explains it perfectly.

6935D764-8D66-4FA0-984B-E8AE42EAC039.webp

To be fair though, it was a good question!

Interesting interview with Sturgeon. Apparently Truss has STILL not called her since she became PM. Rightly points out she lacks the basic common courtesy required to hold the office of Prime Minister.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Craig said:

Interesting interview with Sturgeon. Apparently Truss has STILL not called her since she became PM. Rightly points out she lacks the basic common courtesy required to hold the office of Prime Minister.

Sturgeon was told she would be ignored by Truss if she won the leadership earlier in the summer. Expect a u turn on that soon :cuppa:

Just now, PaddockLad said:

Sturgeon was told she would be ignored by Truss if she won the leadership earlier in the summer. Expect a u turn on that soon :cuppa:

I'm not a fan of Sturgeon, but that's appalling if true. She's fucking rude, as well as useless. 

1 hour ago, scoobos said:

Yeah, maybe I'm putting words in your mouth - but I interpret this as saying "they have not educated themselves"

That reads to me as saying they havent educated themselves - thus I think internally, they are stupid.

The whole thing that got me into this debate is the line about "these people shouldnt be allowed to vote". If that's not borderline oppressive, I don't know what is - and I know from reading your posts you're not that kind of person. 

Since we've gone around the houses on this a bit let's try to close off here - that first sentence above - for me, being stupid would mean they are incapable on an intellectual level of making a good determination. I don't believe that anyone has that excuse. Not educating yourself is a decision to remain ignorant and I have no respect for that, nor should anyone. So ultimately we just have slightly different definitions here of the word, but I hope it's clear where I'm coming from on it.

On the second bit - yeah I guess it is oppressive. I'm still ok with it. I have absolutely run out of patience with people making emotive, non-sensical decisions based on demonstrably false information. It has, without exaggeration, ruined the country. Again, I'll say that the process by which people do that -should not be allowed-. It could be prevented through superior education around civics, greater control over media spin (on all sides).

I have gone down the right wing rabbit holes, I read across all wings of media, I listen to podcasts even from the 'scary' right wingers that people call fascists and nazis. I'm not some ivory tower, guardian reading leftist who is out of touch with what the others are thinking, I've made a fucking point of getting stuck into what the other side are feeling, and have used this information to govern my views politically over many years. So, and I mean this honestly, I do know the arguments of the other side. I have thought them through in as close a mindset as I can get to 'neutral'. Hell, at one point in my mid 20s I was even in danger of disappearing down an alt right tunnel politically.

But eventually, I kept coming back to the same points. I found that I valued informed, evidenced opinions which could paint a picture of how a policy would take us from A to B in a manner that I was able to logically follow. With both the left and right, I have applied this. The further to the extremes you go either way, the less you're able to follow the path between the two points. And I decided that if no one was able to explain the path from A to B, I would reject the argument. Consequently, I found myself across to the centre left side of the argument because that just happened to be where the fullest, most well evidenced opinions were. So I hope it's clear, I'm not a nodding head who doesn't check himself on his views or regularly challenge them - I do - but the simple reality is that based on my framework for making sense of the world, gut and emotion driven voting with no evidence that the policy you support will take you from A to B is up there with believing in god. It's a fantasy. You're voting for a fantasy. Not reality. How is that remotely helpful in society? It's absolute lunacy.

So yes, oppressive though it may be, I'm afraid I value outcomes more than what I suppose I could most charitably call "indulgement". The latter is literally destroying the world in its quest to ignore reality. That said, I will always acknowledge an argument that has a clear A to B even if it's arguing something I don't presently agree with. So I'm hoping that since I'm just coming out and owning this point, you'll accept that we just have different views. You find my position repellent I suppose, but that's ok. I do understand yours fwiw.

5 minutes ago, Craig said:

Didn't he campaign for a greater in corporation tax than she did?

I honestly don’t know. He’s just quietly been skulking in the wings waiting for his moment. I won’t ever forgive him for what he did to the junior doctors and the NHS in general.

• Thanks 1

Ben Howlett, ex-MP for Bath (Tory) has just been on the BBC saying he has it on good authority that activity is already well underway to remove her from office next week. 

13 minutes ago, catmag said:

I go to bed after nightshift and wake up to find Jeremy Hunt is Chancellor. We’re fucked, aren’t we? 

The rumours are he's lined up for an even bigger job than Chancellor.

9 minutes ago, catmag said:

I honestly don’t know. He’s just quietly been skulking in the wings waiting for his moment. I won’t ever forgive him for what he did to the junior doctors and the NHS in general.

The whole of Lewisham hasn't forgiven or forgotten, that's for sure. Although it's something of a moot point since I don't think anywhere around here has returned a Tory MP since that runt Moynihan.