Politics

Christmas Tree

Just now, Renton said:

She just legged it! 

With reporters pleading for her to apologise. That's the worst PR from a Prime Minister I have ever seen. Literally running out of the door. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scoobos said:

I never said it was fair game, I was responding to the outlandish claim that "people shouldnt be allowed to vote" because they are stupid or lied to.

Who claimed that it was because they were stupid, exactly? I feel like you think that's what I'm saying but if so, you're not reading my posts properly. I also don't think I said they were lied to (they were). I said that their opinions being formed based on gut feel rather than informed evidence was a flawed structure that has no benefit within the democratic process. So if you prefer, the process by which people vote on gut feel instead of evidence and analysis, should be banned. Impractical, but then I was never really saying that there was any practical way of achieving this, I was just saying that it should be the case.

Any effect she hoped the u-turn may have had on the economy will have gone straight out of the window on account of her truly horrendous performance. The commentators will bury her for that and the pound will suffer as a result. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Honestly man, these tories, I can't work because of this ongoing psychodrama. 

IT'S RUINING MY PRODUCTIVITY! 

forget about it. they've been destroying it for over a decade

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Just to make totally sure that we're clear on this, I'm not calling for anything to be called democracy. The democracy we are living is a failed system that has been abused and distorted beyond being remotely useful by years of Tory rule and perversion by corporate and dirty money. I don't care if we exit this period one day with or without democracy as it is currently defined.

I just want a less devastating system of governance where smart and experienced people are able to make decisions that benefit society. I think that's something that democracy can be but in our case isn't. Maybe something approaching a technocracy, who knows. My contention though, isn't that I want democracy. I just don't want the hell our current system is inflicting on us.

And to go back to my original point (waaaay back), I'm in no hurry to reconcile with people who are being weaponised within this system against their own interests due to their propensity to dismiss and reject informed opinion in place of their gut feeling on matters. I'm really ok with that position too - they have failed me, not the other way around. I'm not going cap in hand and asking them to fuck me all over again, I'm just going to stand to the side and criticise their decision making framework and harp on endlessly about the consequences of their choices. That may make them dig their heels in all the more but... if that's true, they really are overgrown toddlers.

How was the referendum not democratically executed? It was PR wasn't it? 1 person, 1 vote?

There's no perfect solution to anything. But that is democracy. People getting influenced by charlatans is always going to be an issue - but 1 person 1 vote, anything over 50% wins, is pure democracy isnt it? We can't call FPTP or any of that crap here.

My personal view on Brexit is it was a problem of age and perception and that ol' nostalgia problem - as people get older, they are more alienated from the world. Studies have found that people tend to idolise their youth , for many reasons - be it they were healthy then etc.

For the majority of over 60's - there is a clear change in the world, with technology - society and multiculturalism - which pushed them into feeling anxious about change. It's a natural thing.

I'm not even that old, but for me, the technology boom from Landline to mobile phone in the late 90's to early 00's scared the shit out of me (and I'm a techhy) because it fundamentally changed the rules of engagement for work and play. You couldn't be "out" anymore - ignore a call and people make judgements - this has escalated to two blue ticks on Whatsapp now - and its stress inducing for me. Someone younger has absolutely no awareness of that, or any anxiety. 

I believe that the move to an "accepting and inclusive society" is a massive attack on the values that they were indoctrinated to believe - that we are superior - heck we dehumanised most of the empire, it was the only way the public could be conditioned to accept it. It was only the 80s where attacking "wogs" gays, blacks, gollywogs etc - was commonplace in working mens club comedy nights.

I know that's a weird side note, but I honestly think that immigration controls (or lack of them) is what made people vote Brexit - nothing else - and at that time , due to demonising of foreigners - whether leave ran their campaign or not - it may have gone leave anyway.  

Now educated people know that's all BS - but the MAJORITY of people in the UK are not educated beyond high school - that's a major problem right there - along with the fact that those that dont go onto FE dont get trades or apprenticeships either.

wow I've derailed this, I'm offski! 

Just releasing a written statement would’ve smacked of cowardice and would’ve just been kicking the issue into the long grass. But it still would’ve been better than that. She’s just horrendous at everything. 

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Just releasing a written statement would’ve smacked of cowardice and would’ve just been kicking the issue into the long grass. But it still would’ve been better than that. She’s just horrendous at everything. 

I bet ( despite her lovely pair) she also gives a lacklustre tit-wank.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Holden McGroin said:

I bet ( despite her lovely pair) she also gives a lacklustre tit-wank.

I can see you’ve put a lot of thought into this, weighing up the potential pros and cons :lol: 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, scoobos said:

How was the referendum not democratically executed? It was PR wasn't it? 1 person, 1 vote?

There's no perfect solution to anything. But that is democracy. People getting influenced by charlatans is always going to be an issue - but 1 person 1 vote, anything over 50% wins, is pure democracy isnt it? We can't call FPTP or any of that crap here.

I never said it wasn't democratically executed. In fact I think in one of my earlier posts already acknowledged it was. You're continuing to respond to what you think I'm saying rather than what I'm saying.

Everything else in there - I agree. None of that is news though, and you're basically saying they're voting on insecurity, anxiety, feelings and emotion. Which is also what I'm saying they're doing. So yes, agreed. But my lasting point on this is that this is not helpful in achieving productive outcomes for our society, i.e. those that make our lives better. Indeed, they make our lives worse, and in the case of Brexit, seems to be actively working against their own stated aims.

Other than that though man, yeah, I know why this happened. I understand it. As I said earlier, I forgave the original decision because I understood it. What I can't accept is people denying reality and doubling down now that they can see it's all nonsense. That's my issue. The fact we're still here with these lunatics in power, is because of that denial of reality. I'm not forgiving it until the wrongdoing is acknowledged.

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Meanwhile Starmer has moved his staff to campaign HQ....

If it doesn't happen here, it's just not going to until the 2 years is up IMO. This is the most shambolic episode of government I've ever seen, there is no credible way the Tories can replace her but she absolutely needs to go.

Horrifying stuff. Starmer making the right decision though here.

1 minute ago, Holden McGroin said:

Can't Prince Charles just step in now? He'd go up in my estimation if he did.

I bet 'dear oh dear' was upgrade to 'FFS!' if he was watching that disaster.

• Like 1