Politics

Christmas Tree

14 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

He looks unbelievable for Wrexham. It's mad cos you see some of the stuff he's doing and wonder how he hasn't made it at a much higher level, but there must just be massive gaps in his game that aren't visible a) in a documentary show and b) to a div like me. 

He is probably playing 2 levels below his real level. Seems like a decent bloke as well, despite being Scouse.

Ryan Reynolds loves him.

• Like 1

Just been reading up on Trundle. After being retired for 3 years, he signed for Welsh Div 2 club Llanelli Town at the age of 40 and scored 86 goals in 59 appearances. :lol:

Earned them back to back promotions. 

• Haha 1

Aye, Pros are different class. 

I played against Carrick (who I didn't think was that special at the time but he was playing in the year above and out of position ) but the best player I played against was Martin Taylor (of breaking Eduardos leg fame) against Cramlington . I never touched the ball the whole game 😀

• Like 1

I’ve played with and against a few people who went on to be or were ex-pros. This lad, in the year above me at school, was comfortably the best:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Howe_(footballer,_born_1973)

When you 15 a side or so kickabouts in the yard / on the field he would get the ball and almost without fail beat about 10 players and score. He went to Forest when they had one of the best scouting systems and struggled to make any impact there. Although he did score a cracker once when Frank Clark was manager. He had a decent career but it really put into context just his good the players in the top flight, etc are. 

• Like 1

Just now, Alex said:

I’ve played with and against a few people who went on to be or were ex-pros. This lad, in the year above me at school, was comfortably the best:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Howe_(footballer,_born_1973)

When you 15 a side or so kickabouts in the yard / on the field he would get the ball and almost without fail beat about 10 players and score. He went to Forest when they had one of the best scouting systems and struggled to make any impact there. Although he did score a cracker once when Frank Clark was manager. He had a decent career but it really put into context just his good the players in the top flight, etc are. 

I remember Bobby Howe for Forest.

• Like 1

I once played against all time great NUFC hero god Wayne Fereday at 5 aside, he was just ridiculously good. Knew where to receive the ball in space without moving very much, and if you did get within two yards of him he took the ball past you as if you weren’t there :huh:

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I once played against all time great NUFC hero god Wayne Fereday at 5 aside, he was just ridiculously good. Knew where to receive the ball in space without moving very much, and if you did get within two yards of him he took the ball past you as if you weren’t there :huh:

Pretty sure it was Kevin Dillon mind.  :cuppa:

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

He was the top scorer in League2 so no mug.

Pro footballers are unbelievable though. I used to know an unnamed centre-half who was considered an absolute carthorse when he played for Newcastle. He came and played for our 6 aside team once and he would genuinely have won playing by himself. We assumed he would be centrehalf, he said fuck that centre forward. It was something like 21-0 at half time and he'd got 19 of them

You're not exactly narrowing it down. :lol:

• Haha 3

Played football with Anthony Shandran, Adam Saddler and a couple others who never made it past the youth teams but were way better than everyone else. 

Shandran was so much better than the rest of us that the plan was just a version of Bruce's "give it to Maxi" strategy. He'd just glide past people, always seemed to have time on the ball and it felt like he had a birds eye view of the pitch. He just knew where everyone was.

We were all convinced he'd play in the Prem

Years Team Apps (Gls)
1999–2003 Burnley 1 (0)
2002  St Patrick's Athletic (loan) ? (?)
2002  Stalybridge Celtic (loan) 7 (?)
2003  York City (loan) 18 (3)
2003–2004 Spennymoor United 13 (4)
2004 Gateshead 14 (9)
2004–2006 Newcastle Blue Star ? (?)
2006–2007 Newcastle Benfield 1 (?)
2007–2009 Bedlington Terriers ? (?)
2009 Blyth Spartans 7 (3)
2009– Bedlington Terriers 202

(247)

We were very wrong.