Politics

Christmas Tree

Truthfully I read the Guardian mostly because it has the least offensive website of all the non-paywalled media sites. The independent is just ghastly to open up.

I do have an FT subscription though so I suppose I could read more of that.

Yeah, the Indy website is horrific. Not as bad as the Chronicle group of papers though. The Guardian is quite good for reviews and stuff too, I should donate but then I remember Owen Jones and dismiss it. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, scoobos said:

Yeah I understand, I'm in a kind of denial myself, but I've been away for many years so not read the British media as much - but now I think this, I notice it more and more on subjects that I know something about.

I think blaming "boomers and right wingers" for everything can make hate as much as blaming immigrants and lefties.

I'd still read the Guardian, whilst waiting for a haircut, but I'd fucking bin the mail if I saw it !

And of course, who is the web to say what we can trust and cannot - but I do have a lot of faith in that website, as much as the fact checker site.

You know fuck all about anything so the rest of your point is moot.

Edited by ewerk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Yeah, the Indy website is horrific. Not as bad as the Chronicle group of papers though. The Guardian is quite good for reviews and stuff too, I should donate but then I remember Owen Jones and dismiss it. 

Jones is a proper little cunt like. He’ll be fucking devastated at his lack of relevance with Labour doing well in the polls. 

• Like 1

Just now, Alex said:

Jones is a proper little cunt like. He’ll be fucking devastated at his lack of relevance with Labour doing well in the polls. 

Any other leader would be even further ahead etc 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Renton said:

Just to pick you up on people who can't have the vaccine, I'd quite like to see the source where 20% of vulnerable people can't have it. This normally applies to live vaccines like MMR, not inactivated vaccine vectors or mRNA vaccines. The SPC for Pfizer Biontech is quite clear there are no contraindications other than "Hypersensitivity to the active substance or to any of the excipients listed in section 6.1.", which is the pharma equivalent of "May contain nuts":

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/regulatory-approval-of-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-for-covid-19/summary-of-product-characteristics-for-covid-19-vaccine-pfizerbiontech

It's quite possible the vaccine is much less effective in immunocompromised people, but I can't see a mechanism for it being a safety issue. I'm sorry, but I just don't there is any rational reason for virtually anyone to decline the vaccine and those that have declined it have massively contributed to the severity of this pandemic imo. Of course its a human right to refuse it but I have no moral difficulties at all blocking these people from public interactions wherever possible. 

You might not think that way if you had a serious anxiety issue, for example.

I'm triple jabbed and it goes against my beliefs, I think its very wrong for us to be triple jabbing our population when a lot of the world hasn't even got 1. I see this as a global problem that cant be solved by  the elite countries trying to buy their way out. Hope I'm wrong mind.

The not being able to take it stat, is more about it not being effective, not safety. I got it reading a story about people who HIV wont do anything to, but 20% is probably a stretch. Older peeps dont get much from the vaccine against Delta, thats why we originally started the booster programme, pre Omni. 

8 hours ago, scoobos said:

You might not think that way if you had a serious anxiety issue, for example.

I'm triple jabbed and it goes against my beliefs, I think its very wrong for us to be triple jabbing our population when a lot of the world hasn't even got 1. I see this as a global problem that cant be solved by  the elite countries trying to buy their way out. Hope I'm wrong mind.

The not being able to take it stat, is more about it not being effective, not safety. I got it reading a story about people who HIV wont do anything to, but 20% is probably a stretch. Older peeps dont get much from the vaccine against Delta, thats why we originally started the booster programme, pre Omni. 

There's no reasons we can't vaccinate ourselves fully and also donate to developing countries, that's a false argument imo. The booster jab was pretty essential against omicron, thousands more would have died in the UK without it. But we still have stockpiles we could give away. I suspect for Pfizer and to a lesser extent Moderna logistics will be a huge problem mind. 

I don't know what to say about anxiety issues. It's a virtually painless procedure which might save your life. I'm not a psychologist. Mind, I guess genuine anxiety issues on this are rare. I've already said the vaccines won't be as effective in older and immunocompromised populations. But you said these people are being stigmatised, when this just isn't the case. The only people being stigmatised are anti-vax nutters like Asprilla, and I'm fine with that. 

26 minutes ago, Renton said:

There's no reasons we can't vaccinate ourselves fully and also donate to developing countries, that's a false argument imo.

Not disagreeing with the post as a whole, but picking up on that:

How's it a "false argument" - its reality - we've boosted ourselves and not met the pledge made in G7. Boosting people like me seems more a political thing to try keep "restrictions" away (mitigations in most other countries language), if we really want to deal with this, we need to boost global resistance and keep cases down. UK action is doing the opposite and may well be counter productive, in the long term. (It may all be fine too , but I'd prefer us to be cautious than just gamble all the time).

G7: World leaders promise one billion Covid vaccine doses for poorer nations - BBC News

The real numbers :
COVAX - Wikipedia 

"We're planning to hand out extra life jackets to people who already have life jackets, while we're leaving other people to drown," World Health Organization (WHO) Health Emergencies Director Michael Ryan

I agreed with the above, pre Omni - and part of me still does , when we are pushing boosters to teenagers.

Edited by scoobos

9 minutes ago, scoobos said:

Not disagreeing with the post as a whole, but picking up on that:

How's it a "false argument" - its reality - we've boosted ourselves and not met the pledge made in G7. Boosting people like me seems more a political thing to try keep "restrictions" away (mitigations in most other countries language), if we really want to deal with this, we need to boost global resistance and keep cases down. UK action is doing the opposite and may well be counter productive, in the long term. (It may all be fine too , but I'd prefer us to be cautious than just gamble all the time).

G7: World leaders promise one billion Covid vaccine doses for poorer nations - BBC News

The real numbers :
COVAX - Wikipedia 

"We're planning to hand out extra life jackets to people who already have life jackets, while we're leaving other people to drown," World Health Organization (WHO) Health Emergencies Director Michael Ryan

I agreed with the above, pre Omni - and part of me still does , when we are pushing boosters to teenagers.

Yeah, I completely agree we should being doing much more but still think its a false dichotomy because we can do both - do we even use AZ any more? Fingers crossed omnicron really is the beginning of the end and mass vaccination can end, although I would not be surprised if we end up with annual vaccinations, perhaps combined with 'flu. 

That fact that we CAN do both, doesn't defend the fact we HAVEN'T though, was the point I was trying to make.

Boosting with Az, yep its in use - surprisingly as a booster in the last campaign, as they said they wouldn't do that. But that has since changed, following results from the Oxford Vaccine group.
AstraZeneca Booster Shot Generates Strong Immune Response Against Variants Including Omicron (forbes.com)

Hopefully we are close to the end, but I honestly think we are contributing to the problem as a nation (or have done), but we are not the only one by a long way.

William Wragg (Tory) recommending that his fellow Tories that have been subject to what he calls blackmail attempts in recent days should report to the police. This is to stop them sending letters in to 1922 Committee - threats to defund their constituencies and to embarrass them in the press if they go ahead. 

What a bunch of lads. 

Thing is, I guess we don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Johnson's got form for physical intimidation even, remember when he agreed to get that journalist beaten up? I mean ffs, that incident alone should have barred him from public life let alone PM, but I doubt many people even know about it. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Imagine allowing yourself to be intimidated by these absolute NERDS though. 

Aye, do what you’re told or we’ll send JRM and his nanny round 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

How is this the fault of government and not the pharmaceutical companies for not ramping up production?

Sleep Yawn GIF

Because the government made the pledge and we've thrown 100's of thousands of doses in the bin, trying to buy our Covid get out of jail free card? 

Edited by scoobos

21 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye, do what you’re told or we’ll send JRM and his nanny round 

Seriously though, I think JRM easily has the connections and power to ruin anyone's life.

2 minutes ago, scoobos said:

Seriously though, I think JRM easily has the connections and power to ruin anyone's life.

You think JRM's tough, you wanna try getting the metro through Shiremoor mate. 

• Haha 4