Politics

Christmas Tree

In February the US had 13,000 troops in Afghanistan. They currently have 28,000 in South Korea. This was undoubtedly an ideological decision rather than a practical one and has ended in the loss of 20 years of progress and an incredible number of lives.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

In February the US had 13,000 troops in Afghanistan. They currently have 28,000 in South Korea. This was undoubtedly an ideological decision rather than a practical one and has ended in the loss of 20 years of progress and an incredible number of lives.

Totally agree. I think your suggestion of it being an entirely ideological decision is backed up with how long it took for our governments and MSM to admit it was becoming a problem while they were simultaneously pulling out troops.

This didn't happen overnight or by accident. I remember some Afghanis getting interviewed on the news a few weeks back getting asked shit like "what do you think driving the resurgence in Taliban support/why are people like yourself more sympathetic and accepting of their cause?". I can't speak Arabic for shit but I'm pretty sure the translators were just putting a neutral spin on "because you cunts are fucking off and anyone on your side is about to be slaughtered".

4 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Quick google:

• $822bil spent on the war in Afghanistan between 2001-2019
  • 2300 US soldiers and 450 UK soldiers dead
  • 64,000 Afghan soldiers and Police dead
  • 111,000 civilians dead (and we didn't start counting til 2009)

All for it to fall to shit within 12 months of pulling out troops. 

Western middle East policy* in full effect. 

*Going back to the early 20th century.

6 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

He can fuck right off.  Peace treaty with the Taliban essentially meant that 6,000 prisoners were released without getting anything in return. Those 6,000 then started arming and breaking out other prisoners.

Clearly Biden has stuffed things completely, but the orange one taking the moral high ground is laughable.

5 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

He can fuck right off.  Peace treaty with the Taliban essentially meant that 6,000 prisoners were released without getting anything in return. Those 6,000 then started arming and breaking out other prisoners.

Clearly Biden has stuffed things completely, but the orange one taking the moral high ground is laughable.

That release was what gave Biden two choices, re inforce the region or pull out. With one fell swoop (look at the full treaty) Trump handed Afghanistan to the Taliban.

25 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Whatever you think about the decision to invade in the first place, departing in this manner is morally bankrupt and a massive strategic blunder

From what I understand, Trump laid the groundwork by releasing all of the Taliban leaders and giving them carte blanche but Biden has compounded this to the nth degree by just basically saying "fuck it". 

After Trump signed the agreement the security forces they'd spent billions on disintegrated effectively overnight leaving no future. 

Of course the current and three previous cunts all have blood on their hands (as well as Blair and 3 tories) but none of them will lose any sleep. 

This is bound to be a comfort to the women of Afghanistan as they begin to be raped, kidnapped and murdered by the Taliban. At least we can celebrate the death of Western liberal interventionism. 

What a colossal twat

• Like 2

He would be.

US military interventionism gave Afghan women 20 years of freedom to study, walk around, talk to who they want, marry who they want, go to university etc. While twats like Varoufakis rejoice, it's worth remembering that's all gone now.

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

He would be.

US military interventionism gave Afghan women 20 years of freedom to study, walk around, talk to who they want, marry who they want, go to university etc. While twats like Varoufakis rejoice, it's worth remembering that's all gone now.

I'm not dismissing the "break" but I'm guessing freedoms only applied to the cities - let's not forget the underlying cause - religion. 

Yeh I think the freedoms in Kabul were very much an anomaly and they knew it, which is why they’ve been painting over all the posters of women in advertisements before the taliban rock up.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Look at the clock and then his watch…fucking hell.

Twitter analysis suggests the cunt generally sets his watch 12-15 minutes fast for no good reason.