Christmas Top Tips

catmag

Pancetta or bacon are the only way to make sprouts edible, I reckon.

That cranberry will be nice too, although I've not really noticed fresh cranberries much in the supermarket, unless they become available this time of year. You can probably get big bags of frozen ones at Costco.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the cream/parmesan option helps them go down.

typical disgusting food though that we only eat at christmas. i honestly wouldn't choose to eat half the stuff we eat at christmas any other time of the year.

mice pies - rank

christmas pudding - no thanks

brussel sprouts - possibly the worst tasting veg out there.

etc etc

Pancetta or bacon are the only way to make sprouts edible, I reckon.

That cranberry will be nice too, although I've not really noticed fresh cranberries much in the supermarket, unless they become available this time of year. You can probably get big bags of frozen ones at Costco.

Aye the sprout secret seems to depend on whether you par boil first for about 7-8 minutes before pan frying. I quite like the look of Nigellas recipe using Marsala (remember when I didnt know what that was ;) )

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/brussels-sprouts-with-chestnuts-pancetta-and-parsley-recipe/index.html

From 22.40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSz1eNi7hUw

And Asda definitely had fresh cranberries in a few weeks ago.

Edited by Christmas Tree

How do people start the day?

Bacon sarnies & champagne here B)

Being woken up by over excited children shouting and bouncing on the bed at around 5am!!!!

A cup of tea is prepared prior to the getting stuck into the presents and then a lovely bacon and egg sarnie afterwards.

the cream/parmesan option helps them go down.

typical disgusting food though that we only eat at christmas. i honestly wouldn't choose to eat half the stuff we eat at christmas any other time of the year.

mice pies - rank

christmas pudding - no thanks

brussel sprouts - possibly the worst tasting veg out there.

etc etc

I agree, any kind of rodent in a pastry case is quite rank.

Previous page: people talking about what you can do with sprouts

This page: "So I've been looking into what you can do with sprouts"

:lol:

This is an interesting theory.

Soooo....... Today I've been lying in the fast lane of the A1. Great fun and an excellent , effort free way of losing weight if you'r a Mamil.

How do people start the day?

Bacon sarnies & champagne here B)

I can't be arsed making bacon sandwiches this year so might just have chocolate and Buck's Fizz. Usually I'd knock up a sandwich or two if we were going somewhere else for dinner but can't be arsed to wash up from that only to have to start on the Christmas dinner. :lol:

Woken by kids jumping on my head at about 6am , downstairs, present frenzy fuelled by stove top made espressos , bacon, eggs and toast at about 8:30.

Then, essentially, on the piss :lol:

Bucks Fizz when Grandma Fist arrives mid morning, the mother in law is usually blitzed in the genteel manner of churchgoers of her generation by the time we get to hers just after midday, sherry as we come through the door, G and Ts then wine and lunch.

Port and brandy ( I can second this tip from Chez, it's lovely, gets rid of post feast bloat, and peels the back of your head off and beats you with it :lol: ) liqueurs , Malt whisky.

Giddup !

Woken by kids jumping on my head at about 6am , downstairs, present frenzy fuelled by stove top made espressos , bacon, eggs and toast at about 8:30.

Then, essentially, on the piss :lol:

Bucks Fizz when Grandma Fist arrives mid morning, the mother in law is usually blitzed in the genteel manner of churchgoers of her generation by the time we get to hers just after midday, sherry as we come through the door, G and Ts then wine and lunch.

Port and brandy ( I can second this tip from Chez, it's lovely, gets rid of post feast bloat, and peels the back of your head off and beats you with it :lol: ) liqueurs , Malt whisky.

Giddup !

sounds similar to my day. fry up followed up all day piss up, mixing drinks, over-eating, then slob/snooze in front of the tv in the evening.

I usually wake up early with a hangover from Christmas Eve, have a bacon and egg sarnie and a cup of tea to blow the cobwebs off and then crack on with opening what presents are there. Then, it's usually just a case of reading the Viz annual until my bait with my mother, cracking open the lager/spirits then spend all day ignoring the world since we never bother with getting family around or any of that.

I bet there's nowt decent on the telly on Christmas Day either.

I usually wake up early with a hangover from Christmas Eve, have a bacon and egg sarnie and a cup of tea to blow the cobwebs off and then crack on with opening what presents are there. Then, it's usually just a case of reading the Viz annual until my bait with my mother, cracking open the lager/spirits then spend all day ignoring the world since we never bother with getting family around or any of that.

I bet there's nowt decent on the telly on Christmas Day either.

Downton Abbey special :)

ah, the viz annual - many christmas mornings past spent giggling at the contents of the the big hard one, big pink stiff one and roger mellie's profanisaurus

The Big Pink Stiff One is genre-defining. Rude Kid at his finest.