Newcastle United V Manchester City | Sunday 17 August 2014 | St. James' Park | Kick-off 16:00

Anorthernsoul

Gouffran has completely lost that threat of penetration he had when he first came here. He's in danger of becoming the next Lee Bowyer.

I thought Gouffran contributed well. He was assured in possession, seldom turning the ball over. Was let down by his team mates on a number of occasions making penetrative runs. Cabella created the same as Gouffran if we're honest about end product resulting in chances, whilst Gouffran contributed more in defence. Not sure what people are expecting from him in a game like that.

Edited by OTF

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a good effort although I suspect that City never really reached for that 5th gear. Seeing as most of their creative stuff goes through Silva I'd have liked to seen him being closed down/hacked/career ender - early doors. The 3 in midfield were quite tidy especially Anita who never panics.

Cabella showed a lot and against other sides will have create game winning situations. Janmaat fairly good display. Riviere looks a bit headless yet might be the type that gets on a goal run if he gets one or two at the start of the season. We were set up to keep the score down and he suffered for it. We still need a striker and a CB.

If the Perez strike goes in anything could have happened as ManC were already thinking about their post match cuppa.

Colback looks like he might just be a very good signing.

Janmaat didn't look like a Debuchy but it's his first Premier league game. However, he seemed to lack pace.

Dummett does lack pace. Haidara has pace.

Obertan.....................................................................................................................FFS.

We do not have a back 4, maybe a back 2. Perhaps Pardew should give Mbiwa a run out in place of Willo, he is a central defender.

Cabella looks exciting.

Sissoko should have scored that sitter he got from Cabella.

He runs about but that's all I can think of, especially out wide where I want some end product from my players.

I think he generally uses the ball sensibly, he has an eye for goal and he isn't totally useless defesively either.

I'd much rather Ben Arfa was playing or someone similar, but whaddyagonnado?

Haven't seen anyone else mention him but Colback was canny/on the verge of very good.

Aarons and Obertan are the classic looked good againt amateurs but not good enough against quality - the former obviously at least having promise, the latter being a waste of time on every level.

I think Aarons has a good chance of making it. Sterling lite.

I thought Gouffran contributed well. He was assured in possession, seldom turning the ball over. Was let down by his team mates on a number of occasions making penetrative runs. Cabella created the same as Gouffran if we're honest about end product resulting in chances, whilst Gouffran contributed more in defence. Not sure what people are expecting from him in a game like that.

Wasnt it clear I was speaking in general rather than just this game? I mean he's lost the cutting edge he first seemed to have when he first came here. He's still useful but a squad player at best now. Cabella created a couple of clear cut chances. I like Gouffran but Cabella is an altogether different class of player, or has the potential to be.

We played well today, anyone saying different is just grinding the pardew/ashley axe.

Cabella looks to be a class little player, didn't struggle with the physicality of the game which many worried about him.

Riviere looks strong and fast, good foil for De Jong when he returns and could become more if he can sort out a bit of composure.

Happy to see a similar 433 against the better teams and hopefully a 4231 against others once we're back to full strength

krul

janmaat willo colo santon

tiote sissoko

cabella de jong gouffran

riviere

disappointed with the loss, not the performance today.

Yup

We played well today, anyone saying different is just grinding the pardew/ashley axe.

Cabella looks to be a class little player, didn't struggle with the physicality of the game which many worried about him.

Riviere looks strong and fast, good foil for De Jong when he returns and could become more if he can sort out a bit of composure.

Happy to see a similar 433 against the better teams and hopefully a 4231 against others once we're back to full strength

krul

janmaat willo colo santon

tiote sissoko

cabella de jong gouffran

riviere

disappointed with the loss, not the performance today.

Like that line up except for Gouffan, he's no wide player, would have him on as impact sub. I would give Aarons a go he's not afraid to run at defenders and has a lot of pace.

Like that line up except for Gouffan, he's no wide player, would have him on as impact sub. I would give Aarons a go he's not afraid to run at defenders and has a lot of pace.

Santons instinct is to get forward though, gouffran will cover that. Can't see a young winger breaking into the first team doing that sort of job when he wants to run at people all match. This season Aarons should be used in cups and as a sub, if he performs in those instances then give him a start or two I think.

I like Gouffran but Cabella is an altogether different class of player, or has the potential to be.

Straw man. No one has ever disputed that.

Zero shots on target is rather poor. And they did deserve to win, they had the more accomplished players in the final third.

But there were so many positives in this. The work rate, the performances of the new guys, we seemed to have pace and a bit of oomph up front again that was completely gone towards the second half of last season. Credit where its due.

Seems that long ball to Williamson on set pieces is still on though which is insanely frustrating.

The reason they deserved to win is the same reason why they won the league last season and they'll be up there again this season. They've spent hundreds of millions on assembling a team of world class player's. We simply don't have that and unless we get a multi billionaire owner who wants to have a very expensive play thing we never will. Those players created and finished the chances we couldn't. But that shouldn't detract from quite a few positives from today. Colback was very good (especially since I expected nothing from him) Cabella looks an exciting prospect and I think Janmaat and Riviere will both do well. I also think Perez will be useful coming off the bench. I think SDJ will make the biggest difference in allowing us to create chances and turn promising performances into wins.

Overall a positive start. Two goals better than the start of last season too.