The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I still think the Bazball approach is basically just trying to play to our strengths.  We don't have players like Strauss, Cook and Trott anymore who can dig in and grind it out for a long time.  So the idea of trying to be positive and score quickly while the batsman is in makes perfect sense.  And I think psychologically, what they are trying to do make sense too.  Try and take away the fear and allow the players to be their best selves.  The problem has been Leach's injury and Bairstow's return have lead to poor selection decisions and those mistakes have lead to further mistakes in decision making on the field.

I don't think there's any need to abandon what they have been doing, just refine it a bit and do it better.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Craig said:

It worked last summer and suddenly we think it's the future. I said before this series started that if we dare to dabble with 'Bazball' Australia will teach us a lesson and it seems to be being proven right. 

The disappointing thing is that without the short moments of madness we stood a chance of taking this series too them. 

I mentioned a few times that was massively down to the batch of Dukes balls going soft and going fuck all after about 25 overs. And the opposition makes quite a difference too 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, David Kelly said:

I still think the Bazball approach is basically just trying to play to our strengths.  We don't have players like Strauss, Cook and Trott anymore who can dig in and grind it out for a long time.  So the idea of trying to be positive and score quickly while the batsman is in makes perfect sense.  And I think psychologically, what they are trying to do make sense too.  Try and take away the fear and allow the players to be their best selves.  The problem has been Leach's injury and Bairstow's return have lead to poor selection decisions and those mistakes have lead to further mistakes in decision making on the field.

I don't think there's any need to abandon what they have been doing, just refine it a bit and do it better.

Yeah but that’s pretty much all almost everyone wants. There’s definitely something to the idea the success has led to it being taken to arrogant, irresponsible extremes with the batting. Which is compounded by playing the best attack in the world 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

Yeah but that’s pretty much all almost everyone wants. There’s definitely something to the idea the success has led to it being taken to arrogant, irresponsible extremes with the batting. Which is compounded by playing the best attack in the world 

Don't disagree with that at all.

13 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I'm all for playing to your strengths and if our best batters can't defend then so be it. I just sense there's a culture around it that fucks ALL discipline off.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MMXXVIII said:

I'm all for playing to your strengths and if our best batters can't defend then so be it. I just sense there's a culture around it that fucks ALL discipline off.

i think "playing your natural game" is a decent approach. someone like bairstow is better off playing his drives than trying to be alistair cook. but you've got to do the basics. you don't have to attack everything when there's obvious trap set, and they need to spend more time working on the fielding and possibly fewer rounds of golf, by the sound if it. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

i think "playing your natural game" is a decent approach. someone like bairstow is better off playing his drives than trying to be alistair cook. but you've got to do the basics. you don't have to attack everything when there's obvious trap set, and they need to spend more time working on the fielding and possibly fewer rounds of golf, by the sound if it. 

Bairstow’s the most indulged, spoilt brat of a cricketer I can remember. No one expects him to bat like Cook. But even after his best ever season he fancied keeping wicket so he could bat with zero responsibility. It’s absolutely fucked England's team balance and he hasn’t contributed anywhere near enough with the bat to make up for the missed chances. I don’t know why he gets such special treatment (and it goes back to before the current setup). He’s about the worst advert out there for the extreme form of ‘Bazball’ they’re now playing 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

We’re still in the game, somehow 

Without Stokes we'd have been anihilated in both this test and the previous one. It's he who has kept us in it. Root getting less than 20 in each of the last three innings is woeful by his standards.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

warner may as well step aside and let someone else have a bat as long as broad is still about :lol:

I thought that was what he's doing. Fantastic. 🙂 

11 hours ago, Alex said:

Bairstow’s the most indulged, spoilt brat of a cricketer I can remember. No one expects him to bat like Cook. But even after his best ever season he fancied keeping wicket so he could bat with zero responsibility. It’s absolutely fucked England's team balance and he hasn’t contributed anywhere near enough with the bat to make up for the missed chances. I don’t know why he gets such special treatment (and it goes back to before the current setup). He’s about the worst advert out there for the extreme form of ‘Bazball’ they’re now playing 

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

• Haha 1

I like YJB as a pure batsmen, think he can take a game away in the middle order with Stokes et al, but you’ve got to take 20 wickets to win the match. Foakes has hardly been poor when he’s played with the bat and he takes chances with the gloves. Need him in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I like YJB as a pure batsmen, think he can take a game away in the middle order with Stokes et al, but you’ve got to take 20 wickets to win the match. Foakes has hardly been poor when he’s played with the bat and he takes chances with the gloves. Need him in.

Sherlock No Shit GIF by Holmes & Watson

11 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

175 all out tomorrow - going to be so frustrating

Start has improved the chance. I reckon England either win quite comfortably (4 or 5 wickets) or are out for around the score you said. 
So, nail biter it is then, given my powers of prediction (with Bairstow smashing consecutive sixes to bring up a famous win) 

• Haha 1

At the caravan so only listening to TMS, after a late afternoon of beer on the deck, forced indoors by showers.

Mrs decided she wanted me to explain why comentator had said three slips and a gully, duly achieved by:

Candle holder thing - batsman

Moretti can - wickets

Her Vodka and coke - Johnny Bairstow

My Phone - Slip Cordon

My vape - gully

And she understood it !!!

Prediction, soul crushing defeat btw.

• Like 3

TMS just about 0.5 secs behind the sky stream this morning :) 

250 is about par on this wicket. This England side are far better chasing in their 2nd innings than bowling. But still can’t see it. Cummins getting movement now and Crawley flailing already… it’s going to get a long day…