Stone Cold Charlie Austin

Depends how you define world class I suppose but I'd put Shearer at his peak in that bracket but not Ferdinand. And I love Sir Les. Shearer had a far superior first touch as well.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has?

Correct

'Austin featured for the Hoops in their 2-1 win over Dundee United at Barnet on Wednesday night and boss Chris Ramsey told Sky Sports News that the 18-goal forward is not close to a move away and he could continue to line up for QPR. There have been offers, he explained. A player of Charlies ability, there will always be speculation. At the moment, there has been nothing concrete. Weve had offers that weve rejected, and weve had offers that Charlie himself has not been happy to take on.

Read more at: http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/qpr/we_ve_rejected_offers_qpr_boss_gives_update_on_charlie_austin_s_future_1_4165105

Copyright © LONDON24'

Shearer always liked someone to do his donkey work throughout the majority of his career...Dowie at Southampton, Sutton at Blackburn, Sheringham for England, Ferdinand and Ferguson here before he got his last major injury and was about as mobile as a tank, which is when he used the pace of Dyer and Bellamy to create space for him to exploit. Obviously there was the likes of Nobby and Speed to create chances too.

I dont see any reason why Mitrovic and Austin wouldn't work in the modern game, indeed what struck me about Austin at Loftus Road in May was his workrate and unselfishness in a team that was already down. Add to that the 18 goals he weighed in with in a side who weren't really creating much then for me theres no offensive reason why it can't work. Thing is we could end up swamped in midfield v sides who are only playing one up top, and that's probably every other team in the league. Thats why I think it's De jong & one striker, and macca is on record describing Siem as the best player in the league (along with Christian Erickson) when Steve was manager of Twente and Dr Hong played against his side regularly.

Depends how you define world class I suppose but I'd put Shearer at his peak in that bracket but not Ferdinand. And I love Sir Les. Shearer had a far superior first touch as well.

Ferdinand's loss of form/arse in 95/96 was a huge factor in not winning the league but he's still a bigger hero of mine than Shearer.

I also think the crook was an idiot for not playing Ferdinand more at Euro 96 considering his so called dream team with Sheringham ultimately failed.

Ferdinand's loss of form/arse in 95/96 was a huge factor in not winning the league but he's still a bigger hero of mine than Shearer.

I also think the crook was an idiot for not playing Ferdinand more at Euro 96 considering his so called dream team with Sheringham ultimately failed.

He's more of a hero to me as well.

Formations are never as rigid on the pitch as they are when they are written down, or at least they shouldn't be.

We could quite easily play a 442 if we bought Austin for example;

Janmaat Mbemba Colo Haidara

Sissoko De Jong Colback Aarons

Mitrovic Austin

Sissoko tucks into allow Janmaat to provide width, Haidara doesn't fly forward as much, hopefully leaving Aarons 1v1 with the fullback.

Systems only carry you so far, you need intelligent players who understand their role, abilities and limitations. This is a bigger struggle than playing 442 or 433 for us at the moment.

Edited by strawb

Man City's 4-4-2 a couple of year back was fucking class, as was A.Madrid's.

It's just trendy to write the formation off these days.

Fuck it, two up top, 8 cans in the fridge. Howay the lads.

:nufc:

Formations are never as rigid on the pitch as they are when they are written down, or at least they shouldn't be.

We could quite easily play a 442 if we bought Austin for example;

Janmaat Mbemba Colo Haidara

Sissoko De Jong Colback Aarons

Mitrovic Austin

Sissoko tucks into allow Janmaat to provide width, Haidara doesn't fly forward as much, hopefully leaving Aarons 1v1 with the fullback.

Systems only carry you so far, you need intelligent players who understand their role, abilities and limitations. This is a bigger struggle than playing 442 or 433 for us at the moment.

That's how I remember it against Man Utd in the 5-0, just swap Janmaat/Sissoko for Barton/Beardsley etc.

Trouble is, you're omitting Wijnaldum, Cabella, Tiote, Perez and even Rivière!

I think again it was down to them being similar players, where ready steady teddy was viewed as a better foil for shearer, and more likely to compliment him.

Not saying Ferdinand didn't deserve more caps fwiw

At this moment in time I'd rather we spent the 15 million on a quality centre back.

After signing Lascelles and Mbemba to add to Taylor, Colo, Dummett and Williamson we aren't signing anyone else until someone gets sold

:lol:

Yeah. I agree with that Tom. It's just the trend to discount a 4-4-2 as old hat. It'll come back into fashion again when a manager somewhere in Europe uses it to good effect and actually just calls it a 4-4-2. Once that happens 4-4-2 will be trendy again and the 4-2-3-1 will be rubbished from here to kingdom-come.

Where you getting that from mate? Signing another striker makes no sense at all when we've got more obvious gaping holes in our team. :dunno:

Had a text off a mate who's mam is a cleaner at SJP, she overheard a phone call in one of the offices this afternoon. Apparently she heard the words "We'll meet you in Fitzgerald's Charlie, bring your boots".

Nailed on mate, get your money on it.