Alexandar Mitrovic

The Fish

I fully agree we're playing better football than we have for years. But confidence is still low (not at all surprising given the last couple of years) and I think that's a large part of the reason why results haven't come. It's going to take a while to restore confidence, a couple of wins won't do it, and I think until it's back at the club we're still at risk.

"McLaren isn't an innovative coach" I think thousands of Man united fans from the glory years along with the Manager would disagree passionately with that statement.

I don't understand the hate the fella gets, the England job is a poisoned chalice because of the fans expectations - England are shite and have been since the mid 80's.

Nah McClaren did a shite job with England, he inherited a good squad that had been ko'd of the World cup QF's on penalties in a close game and totally fucked up qualifying from a fairly straight forward group. The group was Andorra, Russa, Croatia, Israel, Macedonia and Estonia. We drew with Israel and Macedonia, lost to Russia once and Croatia twice. The Croatian side were canny but Capello's England destroyed a not drastically different Croatia twice in 2010 WC qualifying. Even if he had just beaten Macedonia we'd have been in man.

Call England shite but they comfortably qualify regularly as despite them not being up to snuff at most Tournaments (for various reasons) they are better than most of the shite that is in qualification and should expect qualification to most tournaments (as Ewerk succinctly put it). I don't mind McClaren but he done a shite job for England and was rightly slated, saying that I do think international management is a totally different way of managing and it simply doesn't suit certain managers.

I fully agree we're playing better football than we have for years. But confidence is still low (not at all surprising given the last couple of years) and I think that's a large part of the reason why results haven't come. It's going to take a while to restore confidence, a couple of wins won't do it, and I think until it's back at the club we're still at risk.

I think confidence, for the past few months, has actually been pretty high. You can point to games where we've played well and just haven't had any luck or taken our chances. Obviously, you've got to start putting them away but I'm quietly confident in Mitrovic. He's saying the right things about improving his game and I'm enough of a gambler to see out the season with him, providing he has Wijnaldum and Perez around him. Watch him snap his leg on the 1st of February now.

I think McClaren is an alright coach, definitely at the upper end of the type we can attract here. Look at some of his predecessors ffs

He's all right but his average ability isn't affected by the shit-storm he's followed.

I still think IF Ashley had been fully committed to improving our lot on and off the pitch we could have convinced the likes of De Boer, Tuchel or whomever.

I don't think Ashley has a clue. That's why McClaren is pretty good appointment for him.

:aye:

Charnley keeps slipping under the RADAR, but when so many of the final decisions are his, he really should be dragged across the coals.

Well ewark, I would and Englands performances in these competitions (out as soon as elimination is possible) show that qualifying is already an achievement

When you've qualified for nine out of ten of the previous major tournaments exiting at the earliest opportunity just three times then I think the only logical conclusion is that you're full of shit.

I've been hot and cold on McLaren but I'm starting to really like him and hope he gets a good few years here.

He's had the team playing well at times this year and has been a bit hamstrung by the likes of Thauvins non arrival and the strike forces missed opportunities.

I like his genuine passion for the game and think once he gets more involved in the transfers and addresses the gaps, we will have quite a nice team on our hands.

An assured left winger and more prolific striker would have us in the top 10 already.

Edited by Christmas Tree

I've been hot and cold on McLaren but I'm starting to really like him and hope he gets a good few years here.

He's had the team playing well at times this year and has been a bit hamstrung by the likes of Thauvins non arrival and the strike forces missed opportunities.

I like his genuine passion for the game and think once he gets more involved in the transfers and addresses the gaps, we will have quite a nice team on our hands.

An assured left winger and more prolific striker would have us in the top 10 already.

Any ideas?

;)

I don't think Ashley has a clue. That's why McClaren is pretty good appointment for him.

He has plenty of clue, his priority is not spending any more money on NUFC and living off publicity and and commercial deals via NUFC. 'No more capital outlay' on promotion to PL. See Happy Face for details.

He has plenty of clue, his priority is not spending any more money on NUFC and living off publicity and and commercial deals via NUFC. 'No more capital outlay' on promotion to PL. See Happy Face for details.

well, yes, but i honestly don't think he has a clue about how to pick a manager, which was why i was pleasantly surprised with mcclaren.

I think confidence, for the past few months, has actually been pretty high. You can point to games where we've played well and just haven't had any luck or taken our chances. Obviously, you've got to start putting them away but I'm quietly confident in Mitrovic. He's saying the right things about improving his game and I'm enough of a gambler to see out the season with him, providing he has Wijnaldum and Perez around him. Watch him snap his leg on the 1st of February now.

Talk is cheap. Once I see him regularly scoring, I'll be confident in his ability to score regularly.

well, yes, but i honestly don't think he has a clue about how to pick a manager, which was why i was pleasantly surprised with mcclaren.

He was cheap and available, also gets on with Carr apparently.

I don't think he has much of a clue about football though. I mean, I think he could've implemented his 'masterplan' a whole lot more successfully if he did have.

I don't see how McClaren was that good a choice like. He'd just failed to get Derby up and he's done pretty well in only one of his jobs post-England or two in his whole career. A bit like The King ©, we were probably about the only PL club willing to give him a chance at the time.

I don't see how McClaren was that good a choice like. He'd just failed to get Derby up and he's done pretty well in only one of his jobs post-England or two in his whole career. A bit like The King ©, we were probably about the only PL club willing to give him a chance at the time.

i didn't say he was that good a choice. i said he was about as good as a manager as ashley was going to appoint, looking at his track record. he's a massive step up from carver and kinnear, and a more impressive appointment than pardew, arguably hughton too, who was a massive punt on an unknown quantity, even though he went on to do well.

he didn't do well for england or for derby, but he's a highly regarded coach and winning the dutch league with an unfancied side is impressive. i've been generally impressed with how he's tried to get us playing football again. results aside, that's been refreshing after the turgid crap served up in pardew's final few seasons.

i hope he does well as i don't see us ever getting anyone better with ashley running the shop is the point.

Lol ewark 9 out of ten - how many years is that 10/15? And I think Bobby's team with Lineker, and Gazza, Shilton (with seamen in reserve?) was just a little bit better than anything we've had since.

England is a shit international team and has deteriorated steadily for many years or competitions.

I'm still smarting about the watch selling comment.

Edited by scoobos

i didn't say he was that good a choice. i said he was about as good as a manager as ashley was going to appoint, looking at his track record. he's a massive step up from carver and kinnear, and a more impressive appointment than pardew, arguably hughton too, who was a massive punt on an unknown quantity, even though he went on to do well.

he didn't do well for england or for derby, but he's a highly regarded coach and winning the dutch league with an unfancied side is impressive. i've been generally impressed with how he's tried to get us playing football again. results aside, that's been refreshing after the turgid crap served up in pardew's final few seasons.

i hope he does well as i don't see us ever getting anyone better with ashley running the shop is the point.

That's the thing though, comparatively good compared to Kinnear, Carver or Pardew's last couple of seasons. So fucking what? :lol: