Scariest top 3 films

Christmas Tree

Tonight I've been having a discussion about the scariest films ever with my 23 year old daughter. Now obviously all this depends to a large degree about watching the film at the time it was released because some films don't hold their scariness.

Eg

I remember been terrified of Frankenstein but to my daughter a snail pace monster with no special powers is not scary.

In my day, Zombies also used to slowly stagger but now they can run.

Also she said she could not take the exorcist seriously because she'd seen scary movie.

So what are the three scariest movies you have seen.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone remember Salem's Lot from the telly in the 70s?....David Soul was in it, think it was a adaptation of a Stephen King book? Carrie was pretty scary too as it goes, and I wouldn't say I was scared but the film of IT was pretty bloody disturbing as an adult..

Ringu, the original Japanese version of the ring. Not the Hollywood remake though that is also pretty scary.

Audition - another shit scary Japanese movie

Watching the shining in a dark room still creeps me out.

Honourable mentions to Evil Dead 1, alien, Rosemary's Baby, nightmare on elm st 1 and misery

Edited by Dr Gloom

Anyone remember Salem's Lot from the telly in the 70s?....David Soul was in it, think it was a adaptation of a Stephen King book? Carrie was pretty scary too as it goes, and I wouldn't say I was scared but the film of IT was pretty bloody disturbing as an adult..

Aye, remember the vampire kid tapping on the window of his brother asking to be let in as he floated outside. :lol:

Aye Salems lot when the young kid floated outside the window!!!!

David Soul though iirc so meh! :lol:

Aye Salems lot when the young kid floated outside the window!!!!

David Soul though iirc so meh! [emoji38]

James Mason was scary as fuck though - the scene where he asks the priest to put down his cross and holy water down and face the master vamp is tremendous.

These old adaptations of M.R. James stories still hold up today (apart from the final scene in Night of the Demon, which is still a great film nevertheless).

Whistle and I Will Come to You

A Warning to the Curious

Night of the Demon

Don't bother with any remakes of the above (even if they've not been made yet) as they are/will be shit.

Nowt more scary than this thread's title.

Should be "Top 3 scariest films" and you all know it.

That aside, the proper scary ones have already been mentioned, but I do like a Shock flick. Something like Final Destination, that doesn't build tension like the above, but hammers a popcorn spilling event down your throat without warning.

The Shining is fucking terrifying. The scariness of most horrors is ratcheted up several degrees if you're home alone watching them at night though.

The old Hammer films too. Anyone remember that one with 'Fluff' Freeman and Roy Castle btw? :lol:

Edited by Alex

The Shining is fucking terrifying. The scariness of most horrors is ratcheted up several degrees if you're home alone watching them at night though.

The old Hammer films too. Anyone remember that one with 'Fluff' Freeman and Roy Castle btw? [emoji38]

A lot of what I remember as horror films (many Hammer ones) go out as pg on the horror channel in early evening slots. Conversely a few of them are still classed as 18s for late nights which in the context of modern horror films being almost universally 15s makes them at least genuine.

The Omen

The Exorcist

Twin Peaks - Fire walk with me.

I didn't find The Exorcist remotely scary although I did enjoy it.

I'd go along with The Omen and Twin Peaks. There's bits of Mullholland Drive that are also at least very unsettling. I agree with whoever said The Changling too. The Others basically ripped off massive parts of that film. Phsyco and The Thing were also pretty frightening when watched alone in the dark back in the day.