Yes Gemmill...

catmag

In my last job I worked with an Irish lad who was a huge fan of Prince and reckoned he'd seen him over a hundred times. A couple of years ago he came to the UK and played a shit load of gigs in London and elsewhere - sometimes 2 or 3 a day all organised and announced on Twitter on the day. He was testing new stuff but also treat what was obviously a crowd of hardcore fans to obscurities and rarities with never a repeated set list.

I was never into him as he was a bit too funky for me but he was obviously hugely important to music and as described above a brilliant entertainer.

Nah, pisshead from Wimbledon - he used to video all the gigs he went to (not just prince) but started getting too much hassle so bought a pair of those spy gegs off eBay with the camera in :)

I was never a fan of Prince's music, couldn't really understand what all the fuss was about really, but I went to see him live in 2010 and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. He's probably the most obviously virtuoso musician I've ever seen live - his guitar playing was truly incredible, and I'd not really appreciated that from listening to the odd single of his over the years. Still didn't get me listening to his records mind, but the bloke was clearly unbelievably talented and a brilliant showman. RIP.

It's 666 years since the black death of 1350.

The number of the beast.

Satan walks amongst us again.

And he's building his strength with pull ups.

Bruce Dickinson had better fucking watch out.

Happy Face, can you work out the stats on how long it will be until Kanye's turn?

Or Katie Hopkins.

Or any Kardashian.

The twats of the celebrity world seem to be hanging on longer than those who are loved/well liked.

There was an article a year or two ago going on about how Prince had enough unreleased material to keep release albums for decades to come. Normally you would think it would be shit if it hadn't been released but Prince was eccentric (and wealthy) enough for there to be loads of hidden gems in amongst it. I wasn't a huge fan of his but I have a couple of mates who are (or at least were, when they were younger) proper obsessed. I think he released some great tunes though.

There was an article a year or two ago going on about how Prince had enough unreleased material to keep release albums for decades to come. Normally you would think it would be shit if it hadn't been released but Prince was eccentric (and wealthy) enough for there to be loads of hidden gems in amongst it. I wasn't a huge fan of his but I have a couple of mates who are (or at least were, when they were younger) proper obsessed. I think he released some great tunes though.

6Music was saying there was a spell when he was releasing a couple of albums a year, just a prolific creator. Apparently there wasn't much of a quality filter on display but, as you say, there were some great tunes in amongst the average. I've no doubt there'll be unreleased albums for years to come and given his greatest hits, that's no bad thing.

• Meenzer changed the title to Yes Gemmill...