Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

6 minutes ago, isleKoch said:

Highly unlikely I'll be able to provide a link on that like... 

Have you seen Zelensky dancing around in high heels and gimp suit? Fact Check : True...

Any ideas?

No. I saw him play a piano with his balls though. 

1 hour ago, isleKoch said:

#AfricansinUkraine has been confirmed to be a bot - spam posting bot accounts 

That hashtag is probably Russian, literally a big wooden spoon to stir Twitter up and create division. 

The perfect morale confluence of defining ones self by either a #BLM or a Ukraine emoji flag

I do not see that hashtag or emoji used.

2 hours ago, isleKoch said:

#AfricansinUkraine has been confirmed to be a bot - spam posting bot accounts 

That hashtag is probably Russian, literally a big wooden spoon to stir Twitter up and create division. 

The perfect morale confluence of defining ones self by either a #BLM or a Ukraine emoji flag

Interesting username you’ve picked.…

… was “ aldof Hitler” already taken? 

giphy.webp

( Ilse Koch was a Nazi overseer at Buchenwald , married to the camp commandant). 

• Like 2
  • Jaysus... 2

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Bot farms, you’ve got to love em :lol:

In other news, I think someone needs to murder Putin within the next seven days :unsure:

Ukraine invasion: Would Putin press the nuclear button? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60551140

there’s lots of this type of analyses doing tne rounds at the moment

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-02-27/putin-s-nuclear-threat-is-ominous-even-if-he-s-bluffing

Putin invaded Ukraine because he wants to build a legacy. If he were to strike first then his country would be obliterated. Some legacy. we just have to hope he’s bluffing and hasn’t completely lost the plot 

Edited by Dr Gloom

I obviously know fuck all about warfare but this doesn't seem to be going all that well for Russia. The invasion appears to have been pretty slow. We haven't seen the shock and awe tactics that I thought they would implement.

So far the Ukranians appear to have being holding up pretty well. Their morale seems to have been boosted by their relative success thus far and they know that more hardware and assistance is coming from abroad. Meanwhile Russia is in a state of panic. Nearly totally isolated from the outside world with severe hardships about to be felt by their people.

So we've avoided WW3 but have brought in the harshest sanctions while avoiding direct military intervention. It couldn't have gone much better to this point from a Western POV.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I obviously know fuck all about warfare but this doesn't seem to be going all that well for Russia. The invasion appears to have been pretty slow. We haven't seen the shock and awe tactics that I thought they would implement.

So far the Ukranians appear to have being holding up pretty well. Their morale seems to have been boosted by their relative success thus far and they know that more hardware and assistance is coming from abroad. Meanwhile Russia is in a state of panic. Nearly totally isolated from the outside world with severe hardships about to be felt by their people.

So we've avoided WW3 but have brought in the harshest sanctions while avoiding direct military intervention. It couldn't have gone much better to this point from a Western POV.

It ain’t over till it’s over though 

1 hour ago, Toonpack said:

Just as we bailed out 🙄 the organisation we have outrageously derided and belittled morphs into an apparently cohesive super-power. Thanks to our government paymaster Putin.

Ironic given Putin hoped brexit would just be the start of other member states leaving and the union crumbling

9 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I always wondered if having a massively corrupt government held together by paying gangsters billions of pounds might have a negative effect on the capabilities of ground forces. 

6 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I agree despite my initial scepticism of our approach - that view was predicated on the notion that Ukraine would simply be unable to defend itself however, which is what the thread that Toonpack posted talks about. If you look at Russia's invasion of Crimea, Ukraine was entirely unable to repel them. It has however spent the last 8 years addressing that problem, and so has a much more capable standing army now. I will admit that Western governments do seem to have called this right - which is good, because that's what we pay them for.

Given that Ukraine hasn't just folded and given up, that Zelensky has proven himself to be a strong and charismatic leader, and that Russia appears considerably weaker than many of us thought, there are a lot of positives indeed. However, I do wonder if Ukraine might go for neutrality as part of the peace discussion, which would rule them out of joining the EU - that would be a shame, as I think their battle for their country should be rewarded with the freedom to break away from that lunatic properly.

If peace cannot be reached, and if Russia starts carpet bombing Ukraine, then I'm going to start feeling like we should intervene directly once again. But as things stand, I agree we're in a good position.

2 hours ago, Toonpack said:

Just as we bailed out 🙄 the organisation we have outrageously derided and belittled morphs into an apparently cohesive super-power. Thanks to our government paymaster Putin.

What difference has Brexit made to this? The UK has been on the same page as the EU apart from Germany’s initial reluctance