The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread 2018 -2019

Anorthernsoul

Isn't Vardy on 100k a week? He seems pretty well settled where he is as well, turned down Arsenal last summer iirc. 

He also 'only' got 13 last season, if Gayle went injury free (I know) I doubt he'd be far off that sort of tally. My main reservation about having Gayle as the main striker is the amount of games he missed last season, I think given enough chances he'd be fine in the PL. 

Edited by Howay

1 minute ago, Howay said:

Isn't Vardy on 100k a week? He seems pretty well settled where he is as well, turned down Arsenal last summer iirc. 

He also 'only' got 13 last season, if Gayle went injury free (I know) I doubt he'd be far off that sort of tally. My main reservation about having Gayle as the main striker is the amount of games he missed last season, I think given enough chances he'd be fine in the PL as long as we had some goals coming from elsewhere on the pitch. 

If we're wanting strikes who can score 10 plus, both Gayle and Mitrovic would be decent bets anyway. 15+ then yeah, I agree that we'd need to spend on someone else.

• Like 1

i think gayle may well go on and do a job for us up front for us in the PL. i'd like to think we'll sign someone else mind because i don't think mitro or perez are up to being the main striker and i imagine murphy will walk. 

5 minutes ago, Park Life said:

If you don't score goals you get relegated. Not sure Gayle is truly PL quality. Mitro is obviously shit.

Wouldnt say hes shit like but Rafa defo does not fancy him due to Mitro being a bellend on the pitch more than once and generally being a liability. Its been said more than once that Rafa likes players that he can 'trust' and that can stick to the game plan that he puts in place, Mitro is furthest thing from that which is a shame as he has talent just not the brains to carry out the mental side.

Burnley, Watford, West Brom, and Southampton all survived and their top scorers had 10, 10, 8, and 7 respectively. You don't need a striker that can score 15+ to survive in the league, the market is insane and striker have always been at a premium so I can see us focusing more on other areas and perhaps getting a striker from abroad as someone mentioned.

As J69 has said a few times I'd like to see us get someone like Murphy for the left wing, he'd take some of the goal scoring burden off Ritchie. I still think an attacking midfielder is one of our biggest needs as no one was able to fill that role adequately last season.

Edited by Howay

8 minutes ago, Howay said:

Burnley, Watford, West Brom, and Southampton all survived and their top scorers had 10, 10, 8, and 7 respectively. You don't need a striker that can score 15+ to survive in the league, the market is insane and striker have always been at a premium so I can see us focusing more on other areas and perhaps getting a striker from abroad as someone mentioned.

As J69 has said a few times I'd like to see us get someone like Murphy for the left wing, he'd take some of the goal scoring burden off Ritchie. I still think an attacking midfielder is one of our biggest needs as no one was able to fill that role adequately last season.

If we can get 3 players chipping in with goals then the striker isn't so important.  I'd like to think we will take the game to most teams at home ie we won't fuck about like WBA etc...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 247 said:

Wouldnt say hes shit like but Rafa defo does not fancy him due to Mitro being a bellend on the pitch more than once and generally being a liability. Its been said more than once that Rafa likes players that he can 'trust' and that can stick to the game plan that he puts in place, Mitro is furthest thing from that which is a shame as he has talent just not the brains to carry out the mental side.

Can't finish, no pace, mental. These aren't really the characteristics of a striker. :D

16 minutes ago, Park Life said:

Can't finish, no pace, mental. These aren't really the characteristics of a striker. :D

I wont argue with you on any of those based on his performances this season just gone, he actually looked better in the prem the year before some how.

2 minutes ago, 247 said:

I wont argue with you on any of those based on his performances this season just gone, he actually looked better in the prem the year before some how.

Aye it's a weird one, similar could be said for Perez as well imo. I still think Mitro will be shifted as like many have said it's pretty clear Rafa doesn't trust him.

21 minutes ago, StoneColdStephenIreland said:

Depending on how much Arsenal would sell for I'd maybe try for Giroud. I think he's an under rated striker.

Mate, he's not the world class striker that Arsenal need but he's very, very good. I'm not sure he'd 'drop' to our level though. Everton is probably as low down as he'd consider.

Gayle definitely deserves a shot up front next season and, between him and the rest of our strikers, he's got the most about him to get goals. He's a very good finisher and that doesn't change no matter what league he's in so if we're creating chances, he'll be there to take them. He's quick to react, is always bothering centre halves and can be a right little wind-up merchant. Obviously, we're going to get less chances and he's going to have to be a bit more clinical but I wouldn't be rushing out to spend a fortune on a striker yet. I'd say we need a target man as a different option but Gayle should be first choice for me, especially at home.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, trooper said:

Well i'd still have a cheeky bid for him 

Why?

The market is clearly inflated, any "cheeky" bid isn't worth the paper it's printed on. I've no problem going for a proven goal scorer, who would? But expecting to get a proven PL goal scorer for <£20m is ridiculous. 

I mean, Mitrovic got 9 last time he played in the PL, Gayle has a good Goal per Minute ratio in the top flight are they much worse than King? Worth spending £20m on? Or would you rather spend £20m on a foreign league's proven goal scorer, or taking someone like Batshuayi on loan?

Really don't think up front is that big a concern for us. We're not going to be taking the division by storm, it makes more sense to shore up the back, play to Rafa's strengths (defensive/counter attack) and aim to be 'difficult to beat' for the first season back. Counter attacking should win us a few games we'd otherwise be written off for.

And with regards to Mitrovic, he's probably going to stay. One big reason is that we're never going to get anywhere near what we paid for him and two, I genuinely think he's got the right mindset to want to improve, despite being a knacker on the pitch (though that's definitely not as bad as people say) and I could see Rafa trying to mould him into a good striker. He's young, definitely nowhere near as good as you'd hope but he has scored important goals and, in the right frame of mind, he's an impact sub that can put the shits up defences. See, Tottenham away and Sunderland at home.

Having said all that, he lacks the strikers instinct of Gayle and for a supposed target man, I watched game after game last season where he didn't win a single header. He's got such a long way to go but I think he's worth persevering with for another year

• Like 1