Newcastle United vs Spurs 13/08/2017

Final Score  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Noelie said:

I expected DeJong to get some playing time but he wasn't even on the bench; is he hurt again?

Manquillo looked decent, in fact in the last 15 minutes he looked very good, got forward and put some good balls in.

Atsu looked good throughout the game.

Last 15 minutes our 10 men played some good stuff and had their keeper work a bit.

First 45 were a bit disappointing I thought, I had hoped we would have looked better than we did.

Apart from being at fault for both goals Manquillo was class .....

13 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

His answer to the Ashley question was painful. Keegan 2008 mark II this, unless we see some proper investment before the window closes.

Keegan left after the window closed on 1st September 2008 as you say this is looking very much like Keegan mark II.

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

His answer to the Ashley question was painful. Keegan 2008 mark II this, unless we see some proper investment before the window closes.

When I saw the interview, this is exactly what I thought too. I hope for the good of the club that Rafa stays but this leopard definitely doesn't change his spots. Ashley is the same arsehole that he has always been. I wish he would just sell up and fuck off. 

If Rafa does walk then I'll bear him no grudge. He's done well to get us back at the first attempt and clearly has stuck around despite a sour atmosphere in the background.

Despite a shitty result today, I thought there were some promising performances, Clark and Atsu the pick for me. Hopefully we should have some less eventful games coming up where we can pick up points and confidence.

Edited by robchester

For this to ever work one of them are going to have to back down. On one side we have a brilliant man manager & footballing brain who is respected by the fans, on the other side we have an egotistical meglamaniac. Football & the fans will end up losing

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Apart from being at fault for both goals Manquillo was class .....

Here's looking at you Kid.

In my advanced age and perhaps the onset of senility, I fault Shelvey's absence for both goals.

Half time and we were very comfortable, we contained them well and Atsu was the best player on the field, we had the freekick then that happened.

Turned into a nightmare game after that,  like a training game for Spurs in the last quarter of the game. He should never wear the armband again.

Things were looking good (despite the injuries) before that daft cunt got himself sent off. I thought Atsu had probably his best game for us and in the first half Perez was having his best for a long time. Merino looked good when he came on and looks as though he will be able to cover Shelveys passing for the next three games. 

We were never going to go toe to toe with the team who finished second last season but we clearly had a game plan that I could have seen resulting in us picking them off later in the game if we'd still had eleven men. If that fat cunt doesn't fuck Rafa off then I think he'll be able to see us through. 

• Like 1

To be fair to Rafa's interview after the match they were pretty shittt questions because the answers were known. Of course he's disappointed in Shelvey, every right to be furious. The gets asked questioms about Ashley as though the two of them are routinely in contact. The fewer direct interactions Rafa has with Ashley the better as far as I'm concerned. The media are loving the hysteria they're building around this. Ashley is throwing fuel on the fire with his interview which confirms once again (as if we needed it) that he is completely out of touch with what the supporters want and with football in general.

4 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Things were looking good (despite the injuries) before that daft cunt got himself sent off. I thought Atsu had probably his best game for us and in the first half Perez was having his best for a long time. Merino looked good when he came on and looks as though he will be able to cover Shelveys passing for the next three games. 

We were never going to go toe to toe with the team who finished second last season but we clearly had a game plan that I could have seen resulting in us picking them off later in the game if we'd still had eleven men. If that fat cunt doesn't fuck Rafa off then I think he'll be able to see us through. 

Merino could be better than Shelvey in games against top opposition. Shelvey is positionally useless in defense in such games so just being there has Merino on equal footing. He should have more defensive awareness and a better engine given his age. From the tiny bit we've seen he has a good temperament.

5 minutes ago, OTF said:

Merino could be better than Shelvey in games against top opposition. Shelvey is positionally useless in defense in such games so just being there has Merino on equal footing. He should have more defensive awareness and a better engine given his age. From the tiny bit we've seen he has a good temperament.

I'd be hesitant about making too much of a judgement on Merino after just 20 minutes of premier league football but he did look like he's a player who understands the defensive positioning he needs in that position more than Shelvey.  That was possibly why he actually got on the ball more than shelvey managed in all the first half. Whilst it would create the concern that Gayle could end up a bit isolated, it might be an idea against the stronger teams, to try merino ans Hayden with shelvey in front of them. It would give us more strength in midfield without placing as much responsibility on shelvey in front of the back four. 

I'm not convinced shelvey is cut out for the premier league. It's not just his dodgy temperament; as soon as he's pressed high and has no time to look up and play his Hollywood balls, he goes missing. It was exactly the same last time we were in the top flight. He looked good for something like one game out of ten, when the opposition sat deep. The rest of the time he was mostly anonymous. No big surprise that he looked different class in the championship where we started most games as favourites and most oppositions sat back and let him pick his passes. 

49 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Aye, that's my take on it too.

We were handling Spurs in the first half, not on top, not level pegging, but handling them. That all went to shit when Shelvey committed one of the stupidest red card offences I've seen. He's a fucking liability and given his ability to boss a game in the Premier League is in doubt, his future should be questioned. 

People are saying that once Shelvey went off our heads dropped, but to be fair we'd seen our first choice LB go off injured, our impressive debutant get hobbled, the hobbler get away with just a yellow and then our captain and often most influential player get sent off. It's understandable that the team was shaken. 

11v11 we were in touching distance of them, created a couple of decent opportunities that a fully fit Gayle may have finished, and kept them to 2 shots on target. Had Shelvey stayed on and we went on to lose, it wouldn't have been a shock, but this was one of those game where everything went against us.

I think Merino looked good and I think he's a shoo-in to replace Shelvey until the stupid bellend comes back into contention. Big concern is, who the fuck are we going to play at the back for the next few games until Dummett and Lejeune return?  

37 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I'm not convinced shelvey is cut out for the premier league. It's not just his dodgy temperament; as soon as he's pressed high and has no time to look up and play his Hollywood balls, he goes missing. It was exactly the same last time we were in the top flight. He looked good for something like one game out of ten, when the opposition sat deep. The rest of the time he was mostly anonymous. No big surprise that he looked different class in the championship where we started most games as favourites and most oppositions sat back and let him pick his passes. 

I'm not sure that's fair. Yes he wasn't great for a hopeless side when we went down. But he had been excellent for Swansea for a while before it turned a bit sour for him. 

9 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I'm not sure that's fair. Yes he wasn't great for a hopeless side when we went down. But he had been excellent for Swansea for a while before it turned a bit sour for him. 

i'm just going on what i've seen of him playing for us. he's without doubt our most talented passer and playmaker. whether he can combine that obvious ability with the workrate and discipline required to make it as a top flight player remains to be seen. 

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i'm just going on what i've seen of him playing for us. he's without doubt our most talented passer and playmaker. whether he can combine that obvious ability with the workrate and discipline required to make it as a top flight player remains to be seen. 

He certainly has to convince for us but I'm pretty confident that Rafa can set us and him up in a way to do that.