Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

On 14/08/2023 at 13:15, Gemmill said:

There's an app called wonder where you give it a prompt and the AI produces art of your prompt. I've tried to get it to do a pic of Eddie Howe kicking fuck out of Klopp, but the best it's done so far is this picture of Wayne Rooney eating baked beans.

wonder_1692015257120.thumb.jpg.d00ebe789d6bc585cbc2b764cae1c973.jpg

That's the closest I can get

roberte._Howe_punching_klopp_2855d740-e8c7-412a-99bf-990b1fee8b9a.png

I used Midjourney.

Here is Trump and Biden under the watchful eye of Dan Ashworth at the latest trial 

If Biden can stay awake he could be a handy Left Back. Trump looks like he has been good to himself over the summer and has more work to do

roberte._trump_and_biden_playing_soccer_newcastle_bbdb4921-590c-4da1-8e5e-ee80c0a5dc34.png

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Chaser said:

Unbelievable to think Man Utd are paving the way for a Greenwood return. I know many have escaped conviction be it not enough evidence, false evidence, victim declining to prosecute etc but from what was put out in the public domain, it would appear that what was alleged was true. 

Their investigation should have ended when they heard this below. How they can possibly think of playing him again is beyond me.

image.thumb.png.0dee057b1043eba2d5853c1f880a57f7.png

• Like 1
  • Jaysus... 1

I know this it's inappropriate to focus on a turn of phrase here, given just how evil that transcript is, but did he really say "Damn me"?  It made him sound like a Victorian era gammon. Maybe he was role playing Stephen Fry as the Duke of Wellington as a rapist...

3 hours ago, ewerk said:

Their investigation should have ended when they heard this below. How they can possibly think of playing him again is beyond me.

image.thumb.png.0dee057b1043eba2d5853c1f880a57f7.png

Their angle seems to be how do we justify bringing him back in, rather than weighing up the right thing to do. Basically they dont want to lose their asset.

• Like 4

Given that he hasn’t been convicted of anything or banned from football I’m wondering can they sack him? My hunch is that their lawyers have told them that they owe him  back pay from his suspension and will have to pay up his contract to get him to leave.

Isn't Mendy looking all his wages from his suspension at Man City? @LondonBlue

47 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Given that he hasn’t been convicted of anything or banned from football I’m wondering can they sack him? My hunch is that their lawyers have told them that they owe him  back pay from his suspension and will have to pay up his contract to get him to leave.

Youre probably right that they cant sack him,  but they dont have to restore him to the first team squad.  Unless they believe hes innocent ofc

32 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Yeah, tricky one. Legally he hasn’t done anything wrong. 

if I was Man United or his agent  I’d loan him abroad. As a player, I’d be uncomfortable if he was coming back into the dressing room.

It will be linked to employment law. He's not been found guilty of anything. But if Man Utd can prove he is guilty of gross misconduct with the audio recording then they could still have a case to sack him. I'd imagine he's been on full pay whilst suspended 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

It will be linked to employment law. He's not been found guilty of anything. But if Man Utd can prove he is guilty of gross misconduct with the audio recording then they could still have a case to sack him. I'd imagine he's been on full pay whilst suspended 

I would have thought so. But then I thought Mendy was as well.

Edited by Holden McGroin

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

If it was easy i'd give you a straight forward answer.

Pretty sure he left our employ some time ago but now that his case is done, there's a rumour that he's after about 10m from us.

There's the violation of bail terms and gross misconduct that work in our favour though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kitman said:

Youre probably right that they cant sack him,  but they dont have to restore him to the first team squad.  Unless they believe hes innocent ofc

That just made me think. I suspect our owners (and yours) might take quite the principled moral stance with a "rapist". Possibly more so than with an american owned club. 

ps. Not saying that Mendy is a rapist btw. In fact i suspect that he isn't. Given one of the women went back to his place several months after being raped and, whilst taking a shower in his bedroom, was raped again. Not read all the details but that one is dodgy as.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I think with Mendy, he was on remand at one point wasn't he?

So was Greenwood for 2 days after breaking his bail conditions iirc

The whole thing is a minefield tbh. Mendy, Greenwood, Ched Evans, David Goodwillie, the Arsenal midfielder, Sigurddson. Bramble and Dyer had their own brushes with the law in the not too distant past. All similar types of allegations. 

Some have been charged and then found not guilty, some have ended up in jail, some have had convictions overturned, some have been released without charge. Where's the line in the sand for who gets to carry on playing football and who doesn't?

Personally speaking, if Greenwood played for us, with the video evidence available I wouldn't want him anywhere near the club. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

So was Greenwood for 2 days after breaking his bail conditions iirc

The whole thing is a minefield tbh. Mendy, Greenwood, Ched Evans, David Goodwillie, the Arsenal midfielder, Sigurddson. Bramble and Dyer had their own brushes with the law in the not too distant past. All similar types of allegations. 

Some have been charged and then found not guilty, some have ended up in jail, some have had convictions overturned, some have been released without charge. Where's the line in the sand for who gets to carry on playing football and who doesn't?

Personally speaking, if Greenwood played for us, with the video evidence available I wouldn't want him anywhere near the club. 

They should loan him to Besiktas and make it clear what he's done.

3 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Criminal burden of proof is much higher. I would sack him and take my chances in court. 

Sunderland would take him. 

That would be a win/win for any sensible club. Take the moral high ground, sack him, and if it gets overturned at court then Greenwood still ends up coming out of it looking worse than the club 

• Like 3