Jump to content

Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today just a year ago I was making the dream of my life come true and I was able to meet you   (Yes... I was the first to enter the stadium)  

Posted Images

A lot of people on twitter seem to think Keane was the “hard man” there. 

You lose count of the blokes like that you’ve seen dispatched by lads with nothing to say. 

Although I suppose Cloughy dropped Keane & he had a lot to say.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

Macclesfield Town are in the clarts, could be the first of a lot of clubs that get into real bad financial trouble.

They were against the wall before COVID, no surprise to see them in trouble now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Fish said:

They were against the wall before COVID, no surprise to see them in trouble now. 

I never knew that. I think a lot of clubs who were struggling before covid could also follow them.

And yet Premier League footballers are getting paid 200K per week ! 

Must be some way to filter some of that money down to lower league clubs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

I never knew that. I think a lot of clubs who were struggling before covid could also follow them.

And yet Premier League footballers are getting paid 200K per week ! 

Must be some way to filter some of that money down to lower league clubs.

There definitely should be some kind of gift from the league that can afford it, to those that were barely surviving before.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2020 at 09:53, Kid Dynamite said:

Liverpool were shite after the break, they’ve signed no one, Firminho scores as many goals as Joelinton and if Salah or Mane get injured they will struggle to get in the top 4

 

Man City will walk the league, if Chelsea’s new players click they will finish top 4, as will Arsenal 

 

Thiago and Jota will improve them. I still think they could do with a back up option for Firminho.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 9/19/2020 at 10:21, Kid Dynamite said:

 

Thiago and Jota will improve them. I still think they could do with a back up option for Firminho.

 

In fairness Jota can play through the middle as well, and I assume his versatility is a big part of the reason Klopp bought him. 

 

On a entirely unrelated subject I saw Micah Richards on talking quite eloquently after the match, about him and Alex Scott, presumably Evra as well, getting a bit of online abuse because certain people believe that they are diversity hires because Sky let Le Tiss, Thompson and Nicholas go, or fired them to be more precise. Shite for them given that they are all more than qualified, most certainly when in comparison to the aforementioned. Evra is mental though, :icon_lol: the Moyes daughter comment was hilarious. Scott probably has it even worse given she's also replacing Sue Barker on A Question of Sport, and Barker made it clear she was sacked and didn't retire. I rarely watch it but from shallow perspective it will be nice to not have to look at the Crypt Keeper :icon_lol: It really is shit on them, because they are diversity hires in part because that is just corporate policy now whether you agree with that or not, or are strictly for purely meritocratic hiring, but again they are also qualified. It leaves them in a position where ignorant people and dishonest actors can try to use it against them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye I hope people drop it soon. I mean they also have to ask themselves how long they really thought people would be interested in watching them, there has to be some kind of change brought in every now and again ffs.
 

They’ve all made more than enough money, it’s time for them to move on and give someone else a go imo. The network executives will be thinking about their future viewership, it’s not like kids 17 and under will really know who Thompson, Nicholas, etc were other than blokes on that show, whereas people like Richards, Jenas etc have played in somewhat recent times which gives their analysis a bit more weight with younger viewers, I mean just the other day Richards was talking about times he’d played Gareth Bale, those sort of clips will be put on twitter etc and drive interest in the show. I mean personally I agree with what others are saying, they were fucking dreadful pundits and should have all been replaced fucking yonks ago, from the little I’ve seen of Richards his analysis and punditry is miles better (haven’t seen anything from Scott so can’t speak to that).

Edited by Howay
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Howay said:

Aye I hope people drop it soon. I mean they also have to ask themselves how long they really thought people would be interested in watching them, there has to be some kind of change brought in every now and again ffs.
 

They’ve all made more than enough money, it’s time for them to move on and give someone else a go imo. The network executives will be thinking about their future viewership, it’s not like kids 17 and under will really know who Thompson, Nicholas, etc were other than blokes on that show, whereas people like Richards, Jenas etc have played in somewhat recent times which gives their analysis a bit more weight with younger viewers, I mean just the other day Richards was talking about times he’d played Gareth Bale, those sort of clips will be put on twitter etc and drive interest in the show. I mean personally I agree with what others are saying, they were fucking dreadful pundits and should have all been replaced fucking yonks ago, from the little I’ve seen of Richards his analysis and punditry is miles better (haven’t seen anything from Scott so can’t speak to that).

 

Scott is very good, for a woman :D In all seriousness though the bar was so low with the clapped out ex-players that people like Scott, Evra and Richards are a breath of fresh air. They don't smell like betting shops and despair in any case. I wouldn't make it a policy or anything, but I personally don't think you are relevant as a pundit if you are over the age of 55, I was going to say 50 but I don't want Big Al to pack it in yet :icon_lol: There's some exceptions to that rule such as players, coaches and managers who have stayed up to date with current players, tactics, training methods etc, and of course there are some who've never had a clue and never will. The people who actively try to keep themselves up to date are few and far between though. Wenger would be a good example of someone who's in his 70's who's no doubt kept up to date even in semi-retirement. On the other end of the scale Bruce is still working but hasn't got a clue.

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Richards is decent because he actually looks like he wants to be there. I seldom look for wisdom from pundits anyway so this makes a difference.

Contrast that to Danny Murphy or Mark Lawrenson who look like they should be on suicide watch. It’s just depressing watching them.

Most other pundits, Taylor, Nicholson, Le Tissier rarely offer any insight and are so biased to teams they like it’s pointless having them on. 

Same goes for Ferdinand or Owen. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...