Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Thing is the whole cinema/regional dvd/sky timescale model is ripe for taking the piss. If everything was released at the same time and people had a choice of medium I think there would be less abuse. You might say the dvds would just be copied earlier but I think there would still be appetite for people going to the cinema for the social aspect and I think good films would still sell as they do now.

Thing is the whole cinema/regional dvd/sky timescale model is ripe for taking the piss. If everything was released at the same time and people had a choice of medium I think there would be less abuse. You might say the dvds would just be copied earlier but I think there would still be appetite for people going to the cinema for the social aspect and I think good films would still sell as they do now.

Films have always been released in cinema before video/DVD/bluray/sky/terrestrial though, and the time scale between these releases is much less than it once was. Films generally cost a fortune to make and are often a massive risk, you can't blame film companies for maximising their revenue. It just feels a bit odd to me that people on this thread, who are generally affluent and love films, would so wilfully participate in an action which obviously harms the industry. There, sermon over, I promise.

Films have always been released in cinema before video/DVD/bluray/sky/terrestrial though, and the time scale between these releases is much less than it once was. Films generally cost a fortune to make and are often a massive risk, you can't blame film companies for maximising their revenue. It just feels a bit odd to me that people on this thread, who are generally affluent and love films, would so wilfully participate in an action which obviously harms the industry. There, sermon over, I promise.

But despite the black-hearted thievery afforded by technology, cinema attendances and studio profits are higher than ever - maybe that doesn't make it "right" but it begs the question how much do they want to make?

They also still won't accept the argument that on the whole people who "pirate" the most also spend the most on CDs/DVDs as Ant mentioned above - its very naive imo to think that if all downloading stopped tomorrow, revenues would increase by an equivalent amount - instead of buying the DVD people would just wait for Sky (as is their choice now).

There is a case that films get greater exposure and less go under the radar hence giving those involved good career and box office exposure for further projects down the road. Only a small percentage of film releases command huge marketing budgets and media placement. In this sense it has proved an unexpectedly beneficial tool. There is scant evidence that the studios are actually losing money, in fact I believe profits are far higher since since mass Internet use.

So bringing this back onto films worked out well... :lol:

My g/f wants to see that Judy Dench film where she loses some kid or another and has to find him again... is that as bad as it looks? I have to watch it apparently because she sat through Pacific Rim...

Watched 'Master and Commander' last night. I love films like this based around this period and the visual scenery of the old sailing ships is superb. Interesting that this film is based on a real life event where the 'phantom ship' they chased around was actually a US ship and not a French ship in the film, (It was decided to change it as they felt US audiences couldn't emotionally handle rooting for a 'goody', (Crowe) who plays an English captain against the US phantom ship who would in essence be the 'baddies'). :lol:

Watched 'Master and Commander' last night. I love films like this based around this period and the visual scenery of the old sailing ships is superb. Interesting that this film is based on a real life event where the 'phantom ship' they chased around was actually a US ship and not a French ship in the film, (It was decided to change it as they felt US audiences couldn't emotionally handle rooting for a 'goody', (Crowe) who plays an English captain against the US phantom ship who would in essence be the 'baddies'). :lol:

Really enjoyable film in all its aspects.

THe Desolation of Smaug....really enjoyed it but then I have always loved the book and anything by Tolkien. I like Martin Freeman but still feel either he's not right as Bilbo, or he's not protraying him correctly. I always loved Thorin in the book but on screen....wow!!! :wink2::sweat: I'd happily like to take him into that mountain and give him what for!!! :dancing:

Edited by Toonraider

Are you serious about that last bit? Fuck me, the Americans are weak.

Awesome film though, also really enjoyed it.

If there were potential penalties for downloading illegally then that would stop the majority of people doing it.

At the moment its just a moral decision without any repercussions. In my case (Wolf of Wall Street) i've read both the books recently and want to have the cinema experience.

Frozen

I enjoyed it, but then I put on toy story of terror and got more entertainment in 20 minutes.

Took my laddy to see it and after the first 20 gave serious thought to leaving :lol:

He's not a fan of musicals, much like his Dad.

Great animation but shit film.

Paying to go to the cinema when you could see the same film on a smaller screen for free and give the £10 to charity is so immoral.

You're essentially saying that your slightly increased enjoyment and the revenues of giant corporations is more important to you than a cure for leukaemia. For shame.

Took my laddy to see it and after the first 20 gave serious thought to leaving :lol:

He's not a fan of musicals, much like his Dad.

Great animation but shit film.

I'm a big puff for them meself. We've had the album on all morning. "he's a bit of a fixer upper do de do de do" :D