Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Bringing Out The Dead

What an absoloutley fantastic film. Never bothered myself with it because I'd always been led to believe it wasn't one of Scorsese's best, but it shits all over his recent output. It's his leanest film in the last 20 years clocking in right on the two hour mark, and I think he should get back to being this succinct. All his Oscar chasing fodder like the Aviator and Gangs of New York that push three hours are flabby and without energy. This is as full of adrenaline as Mean Streets or Raging Bull.

The Soundtrack is excellent, when Janie Jones kicked in the hairs on my neck went up. It's hilariously funny ("I swear to god you'd better hold this or I won't kill you!" :mellow: ), whilst also being unflinchingly bleak. It's very reminiscent of Taxi Driver (Paul Schrader screenwrote both), without ever feeling like a rehash, in fact the freshness of the camerawork belies the fact that Scorsese was entering his 4th decade as a director at the time.

Far too underrated, the fact it got no Oscar nominations in the year Shakespeare in Love cleaned up just confirms it as a classic.

And just £3.89

I found that completely unwatchable.

A Very Long Engagement (with audrey tautou) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0344510/

042oz4.th.jpg

What did you think of A Very Long Engagement? It's one of the best foreign films I've seen.

Its a very good film. Love the Directors work - shame hes not more prolific. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000466/

Aye he's one of my favourite directors at the moment, A Very Long Engagement is probably my favourite. I thought Alien Resurection was canny but not in the same league as his French films.

Even Alien 4 has its good points (though most will tell you its shite).

Gremlins

20 years before Al Gore got a bee in his bonnet Chris Columbus wrote this cautionary tale of mans contempt for nature. Like Nostradamus he predicted that our inability to harness nature with any level of responsibility would spell disaster. And here we are now, floods and fatal temparatures wiping out the planet, much like cute little Mogwai, a natural phenomenon turned rampant by human meddling.

It has the power to turn even the most Jeremy Clarkson of us into tree huggers.

Intolerance

After Birth of a Nation DW Griffiths had to respond to charges of racism by making a statement that he just wants us all to get along, so he made this epic that spans the ages from Babylonian times, through the life of Jesus and up to modern times. The "Think of the children - intolerance is bad" theme could be taken far more seriously if he wasn't constantly belittling the women’s reform groups of the 20's as ugly spinsters bitter that they're unable to snare a bloke.

Way Down East

He continued to appease his critics, first with Broken Blossoms about a Chinese kid that falls for a white girl, which he insists is fine by him....though they must NEVER consumate the relationship, then with Way Down East a tale of pre-marital sex and how not all people who partake should be outcast. Amazing finale as the fella jumps across river ice that's rapidly breaking up and rushing towards a waterfall to rescue the slut of a woman that had a child out of wedlock. The real baddies here aren't the women who give in to temptation, but the cads and rotters that needle them into doing so.

I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK

The new film from Chan Wook Park (who we all love for Oldboy). The title suggests a sci-fi romp, but it's not, it's set in a mental institute where a young lass whose family has a history of mental disorders, is being treated for one of her own (the title should cover that). Sounds depressing, but it's all done with a sense of humour and looks as gorgeous as anything Park's done before. Absoloutley love the guy more and more with every film.

I read an interview with him where he said he made this as a film his kids could enjoy. Don't worry though, within the first 5 minutes a lass has slit her wrists, wanged some live wires into her arm and blown herself across the room in a singed mess. There's much more carnage throughout too. The tone is a lot lighter than any of his previous films though, I imagine a large percentage of Oldboy fans will be disappointed with it. For me the line is always clear between the girls hallucinations, and reality, but I think it'll just weird out people too much to be as popular as his other stuff.

The new film from Chan Wook Park (who we all love for Oldboy). The title suggests a sci-fi romp, but it's not, it's set in a mental institute where a young lass whose family has a history of mental disorders, is being treated for one of her own (the title should cover that). Sounds depressing, but it's all done with a sense of humour and looks as gorgeous as anything Park's done before. Absoloutley love the guy more and more with every film.

I read an interview with him where he said he made this as a film his kids could enjoy. Don't worry though, within the first 5 minutes a lass has slit her wrists, wanged some live wires into her arm and blown herself across the room in a singed mess. There's much more carnage throughout too. The tone is a lot lighter than any of his previous films though, I imagine a large percentage of Oldboy fans will be disappointed with it. For me the line is always clear between the girls hallucinations, and reality, but I think it'll just weird out people too much to be as popular as his other stuff.

Managed to catch bits of Oldboy on Film4 a few weeks back and it looked brilliant. Came across it on Play.com in the Tartan Film sale so i've just picked it up from there. I'll give I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK a go too.

It's a massive film. Got some daft reviews but really worth a watch. Some truly beautiful sequences like the 'table tennis' scenes and the colourful poignant bleakness of the snack machine.

Edited by Parky

anybody went to see 1804 yet?

Me & wor' lass are going to go & see it.

See the message above you ! :icon_lol:

*WHOOSH!* *straight to the pics after seeing Lazarus post displaying that the movie was actually pretty good...!* :icon_lol:

:razz: Nah, I didn't see his post.

Is this out on DVD? I love Oldboy and Lady Vengence and I'm looking forward to Mr Vengence too.

Is this out on DVD? I love Oldboy and Lady Vengence and I'm looking forward to Mr Vengence too.

Not over here, but it is in asia....

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details...?ProductID=7301

Am I right in thinking that site is charging £3 for that or am I reading it wrong?

And would this play on my multi region player?

make sure your ordering the dvd and not the vcd!

Am I right in thinking that site is charging £3 for that or am I reading it wrong?

And would this play on my multi region player?

make sure your ordering the dvd and not the vcd!

Aye your right, the DVD seems to be a fiver. What's the delivery charge?