Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

fyp

I liked it, I thought it was funny and just the right amount of weird, the Mrs loved it.

49 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I liked it, I thought it was funny and just the right amount of weird, the Mrs loved it.

of course she did. mine did too 

i found its message nauseating and misandrist, and it wasn't funny enough to detract from the film's main takeaway which seemed to be that men are bad and women are good, and that we need a matriarchy to replace the patriarchy. isn't feminism supposed to be about equality instead of replacing one hierarchy with another?

Edited by Dr Gloom

I watched the beekeeper the other day. Basically just a John Wick rip off with Jason Statham doing a terrible attempt at an American accent for the first five minutes before the director clearly got fed up and had someone ad lib a line about him sounding British so he could sack it off.

Someone kills his bees (and makes an old lady he barely knows top herself) and he goes on a rampage.

It's proper shite and entertaining in equal measure. I submit it for consideration to the academy.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i found its message nauseating and misandrist, and it wasn't funny enough to detract from the film's main takeaway which seemed to be that men bad and women are good, and that we need a matriarchy to replace the patriarchy. isn't feminism supposed to be about equality instead of replacing one hierarchy with another?

I didn't take it that way at all. 

But I guess my masculinity is a little less fragile.

12 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i found its message nauseating and misandrist, and it wasn't funny enough to detract from the film's main takeaway which seemed to be that men bad and women are good, and that we need a matriarchy to replace the patriarchy. isn't feminism supposed to be about equality instead of replacing one hierarchy with another?

I took it as men or women in charge equals bad and that the whole Barbie world needed both working together to be successful, so the very definition of equality.

That said the film was a bit shit, however had a handful of moments that genuinely made me laugh. Some of the meta fourth wall breaking shit was well done, like Barbie crying because she was ugly and the narrator taking genuine offence at Margot Robbie being cast in the role and then crying about being ugly.

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I didn't take it that way at all. 

But I guess my masculinity is a little less fragile.

i have to confess, it did make me feel like i was a closet incel when i talked to my wife about it on the way home from the cinema, which i suppose was the point -  it was a film designed to make men feel uncomfortable about generations of privileged life in the patriarchy - i don't really have a problem with that, and i guess it succeeded in that sense. i just think it needed to be funnier to pull it off. 

17 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

I watched the beekeeper the other day. Basically just a John Wick rip off with Jason Statham doing a terrible attempt at an American accent for the first five minutes before the director clearly got fed up and had someone ad lib a line about him sounding British so he could sack it off.

Someone kills his bees (and makes an old lady he barely knows top herself) and he goes on a rampage.

It's proper shite and entertaining in equal measure. I submit it for consideration to the academy.

“ What we gonna call the next Statham turdfest?”

” Dunno, the Beekeeper?”

” I LOVE IT.    What’s the story?”

” Someone… kills his bees?”

” Roll ‘em!”

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

I took it as men or women in charge equals bad and that the whole Barbie world needed both working together to be successful, so the very definition of equality.

That said the film was a bit shit, however had a handful of moments that genuinely made me laugh. Some of the meta fourth wall breaking shit was well done, like Barbie crying because she was ugly and the narrator taking genuine offence at Margot Robbie being cast in the role and then crying about being ugly.

at the end though, they return to the barbie matriarchy world, and ken returns to being the cuckold "just ken", like it's the better version of the real world. 

4 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

“ What we gonna call the next Statham turdfest?”

” Dunno, the Beekeeper?”

” I LOVE IT.    What’s the story?”

” Someone… kills his bees?”

” Roll ‘em!”

"Don't forget to have as many bee puns as possible, including (and I shit you not): to bee or not to bee"

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

at the end though, they return to the barbie matriarchy world, and ken returns to being the cuckold "just ken", like it's the better version of the real world. 

Aye but in that world he still looks like Ryan Gosling and I am still a fat cunt so fuck him.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Spoilers ffs. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Spoilers ffs. 

I saved you from bothering watching it. You’re welcome 

Edited by Dr Gloom

• 4 weeks later...

Interstellar (2014)

I'm watching this again. I love this film. But I still don't understand it 😂

Next time I watch it, I'm going to watch it soba .

3 hours ago, Tdansmith said:

Interstellar (2014)

Probably wise 🍷🥂🍻 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Tdansmith said:

Interstellar (2014)

I need to watch it again. What's it on? 

I love my Sci fi, especially the more "realistic" stuff which this was portrayed as. But all I could see with this was science and tech stuff that made no sense to me at all. A poor man's 2001. And yet it gets rave reviews, so aye, fancy seeing what I'm missing after a decade. 

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

I need to watch it again. What's it on? 

I love my Sci fi, especially the more "realistic" stuff which this was portrayed as. But all I could see with this was science and tech stuff that made no sense to me at all. A poor man's 2001. And yet it gets rave reviews, so aye, fancy seeing what I'm missing after a decade. 

It's on Sky Movies Sci-Fi this thursday 800pm 

I've got Now TV for a month and it's on the movies part basically any movie on Sky is on that to watch anytime you want.

You can also buy it off Amazon prime for £3.99

• Like 1

Interstellar is superb.  I rewatched it last week.

I also watched The Martian as well, after I read the book a few years ago. Both the book and movie are good.

• Like 1

Loved the Martian. It was plausible. Just started "For all mankind" last night. Was okay but a bit boring tbh. Just checked and it gets 8.1 on IMDb but it's 40 episodes long! Wtf, I can't commit to that! 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Loved the Martian. It was plausible. Just started "For all mankind" last night. Was okay but a bit boring tbh. Just checked and it gets 8.1 on IMDb but it's 40 episodes long! Wtf, I can't commit to that! 

Yeah. I did the first episode then gave up. It must be a slow burner type…

22 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I read another book by The Martian author which was canny too. Can't remember its name though. 

Artemis ?

Also by Andy Weir