Allan Saint-Maximin

Anorthernsoul

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Aside from the fact he's having a pop at his team mates for not being on his level it's the insistence that it isn't him who needs to change and improve that is worrying. If we put him up for sale in the morning he'd find that the clubs coming in for him don't have players much better than ours.

This is the thing for me. Completely oblivious to his own failings. The sort of guy who blames immigrants for his life being shit instead of taking responsibility to do what he can to improve even within the surrounding limitations.

"The day I get a team-mate who is able to convert my chances...."

He's writing his own exit with that line, particularly after this from Eddie Howe earlier in the week:

• Like 1

It wouldn’t surprise me if he was sold tbh. He’s electric and exciting and all the rest of it but he’s the most sellable asset we have, outside of Bruno, and if it meant Sarr and that kid from Milan coming in to strengthen the wings, I could well see them going for that tbh. Would mean that our striker wouldn’t have to keep tracking back to the left wing to help Targett out either 

• Like 1

I'm more and more convinced he's on his way out and has been told as much. It'd account for a soundbite such as this. I just don't see him aligned to the style Howe is wanting to play. I trust those running affairs to make the right calls, but if we were to learn ASM was leaving and Coutinho was inbound, I'd be over the moon.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 2

I like him. 

but he doesn't fit with the future I see us enjoying, so if Fulham offer us £40m for him, fine.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I like him. 

but he doesn't fit with the future I see us enjoying, so if Fulham offer us £40m for him, fine.

I go back to the comment you made some weeks ago Dave - we shouldn't be too attached to any players who were here before the January window. They're all at a level we should be wanting to improve on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Craig said:

I go back to the comment you made some weeks ago Dave - we shouldn't be too attached to any players who were here before the January window. They're all at a level we should be wanting to improve on.

He's really struggling now that he's not Plan A. I don't disagree that with a better striker his assists would increase, but then if he's that good lay it on a fucking plate.

e.g. Bruno's debut, ASM dances past a few players, Bruno is unmarked in the centre, but ASM has a pop himself. Arguments could be made that he's done the hardwork and deserves a shot, but honestly, it brings to mind Solano. Nobby was one of the most generous footballers I can remember. Always happy to slide a pass through for an easy chance, or lay the freekick off for Shearer to smash home. A bit of humility would do wonders for ASM.

• Like 3

The issue for me is his comments suggest he consistently provides 'slide-rule' through balls that his team-mates fail to capitalise on. We all know that not to be the case. Invariably he loses possession and fails to track back when he does so. 

• Like 3

if he does go, i'll always wonder what might have been and it would be frustrating if he goes on to fulfil his potential at another club, but i would also understand why howe might decide it's better to move him on. most of our players have improved under howe - ASM is one of the few who have gone backwards. and it's ultimately about end product, not potential. 

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

if he does go, i'll always wonder what might have been and it would be frustrating if he goes on to fulfil his potential at another club, but i would also understand why howe might decide it's better to move him on. most of our players have improved under howe - ASM is one of the few who have gone backwards. and it's ultimately about end product, not potential. 

I suspect it'll be similar to Laurent Robert in terms of his own career - Newcastle likely to be the pinnacle rather than the prelude. 

• Like 1

His departure won’t distress me (as some players have over the years), but I would like to see him here next season with even better players around him and the whole pre season to work within that team.

IMO if we have the threat of trippier and a quality player ahead of him down the right, then it gives ASM more open play / options. Especially with Bruno in the midlle sliding the ball left, right and centre.

Cant fucking wait for August :lol: 

I didn't see the Liverpool game bar the last 10mins or so.  In that 10mins he did a run, lost the ball and just thought meh.  However, like I say I didn't watch the whole match.  Prior to that I do think he's been less greedy and looking up.  At times I can see why he goes on his headless runs because when he has passed Wood has fucked up or Joe, or some other.  

He has one assist in his last 26 games.  ONE.  In that time we have scored 30 goals.

I wonder if a large portion of the sulking is because of Bruno and Joe and the Brazillian stuff?  If it is he needs to grow up and concentrate on his fucking game rather than taking plaudits for fuck all.

6 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

He has one assist in his last 26 games.  ONE.  In that time we have scored 30 goals.

If that's true, it's absolutely appalling given how his fan club go on about how much he creates.

Just now, Craig said:

If that's true, it's absolutely appalling given how his fan club go on about how much he creates.

That's in the Prem, I haven't bothered looking at the cup stats because, LOL

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

given the lack of love for Richarlison in the other thread, i wonder who everyone would prefer next season: ASM or Richarlison 

If that was our only choice, simple for me.  The filthy Richardlson.

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

given the lack of love for Richarlison in the other thread, i wonder who everyone would prefer next season: ASM or Richarlison 

If we are to replace ASM it needs to be with better than Richarlison. Thankfully we're likely to have much more option than that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ewerk said:

Aside from the fact he's having a pop at his team mates for not being on his level it's the insistence that it isn't him who needs to change and improve that is worrying. If we put him up for sale in the morning he'd find that the clubs coming in for him don't have players much better than ours.

Spot on. This is why I totally disagree with any calls to build a team around him, he’s absolutely not that sort of talent or player. He’s a complete individual and as you’ve pointed out completely oblivious to the flaws in his own game.

I saw something by the other 14 that showed him as creating the most chances, 45, in the league outside of top 6 players. While it might be the case I think a lot of those chances are either missed due to his own dog shit finishing, or as Fish pointed out with the example where he passed late to Bruno - he’s delayed the pass and while a chance was created it’s not a clean one or he’s at least made it more difficult than it needed to be. 

Personally I’m not a fan of him as a player, I totally get most disagree with me but I think for most the time he plays he’s either a passenger or a downright liability. I also don’t think he was better under Bruce, I just think the complete lack of shape or plan made him look better, his runs were exciting and he had no options anyway so it was seen as our only chance at goals, whereas now there is a shape and a plan, he has options on most of his runs but he just refuses to take them. As your other post pointed out his crossing is frankly a total fucking embarrassment. 

I agree with him that he would probably set up more with better players, but every single player could say that - put Chris wood in the 2008 Barca team and he’d score more than he has here, it’s a stupid comment and makes him look a complete arsehole.

The fact is for all his bluster and stats about his dribbling (btw can we all fucking agree having the most dribble attempts doesn’t equate to being the best at it), he hasn’t scored a goal since January 15th, and before his assist against Norwich hadn’t set one up since we played Watford back in September. He can moan about quality of players but Bruno has almost caught him up in terms of goals and assists with far less games, and from a far deeper position, yet has the same players around him. 

• Like 7

Sounds like he wants away and, if he does, it speaks volumes given the recent events / future trajectory of the club. Nee wonder he loved Bruce “er, Allan, yee just dee what you want” 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Craig said:

If we are to replace ASM it needs to be with better than Richarlison. Thankfully we're likely to have much more option than that.

I agree I would prefer it not to be Richarlison, but he has more goals and the same assists in less games this season for a team that’s worse and has scored less. That’s before considering this is ASM’s best season in the PL for goal involvements, and Richarlison has exceeded ASMs tally every season at Everton, got the same as ASM has now his first season at Watford when he was about 18. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

If that was our only choice, simple for me.  The filthy Richardlson.

his goal record is pretty impressive for a wide forward in an average team.

2018–19[44] Premier League 35 13 2 1 1 0 38 14
2019–20[45] Premier League 36 13 1 0 4 2 41 15
2020–21[46] Premier League 34 7 3 3 3 3 40 13
2021–22[47] Premier League 26 8 3 1 0 0 29 9
Total 131 41 9 5 8 5 148 51

unlike ASM, whose record is shite by comparison 

2019–20[19] Premier League 26 3 4 1 0 0 30 4
2020–21[20] Premier League 25 3 0 0 1 0 26 3
2021–22[21] Premier League 32 5 1 0 1 0 34 5
Total 83 11 5 1 2 0 90 12
  • Like 3