Allan Saint-Maximin

Anorthernsoul

Matt Targett:

Q: You were one of five new faces in a lively transfer window for Newcastle. Who has impressed you out of the current squad the most in training?

I think Saint-Maximin is so tricky, it's hard to get the ball off him. Also Kieran Trippier, the leadership skills and quality he has.

A: They are all top players and I would say those two have impressed me the most.

Q: Does Saint-Maximin still get in trouble for wearing jewellery all the time?

A: Yeah, he gets fined a lot actually! You can't really say anything to him because he is our key player.

Q: One thing I noticed [from the weekend] about Saint-Maximin was he was limping at times, and all of a sudden you think he is going to have to come off. Then he burst into life and made a run for goal.

A: Yeah, that's what Maxi is like at times. Sometimes he acts like he's hurt, and the next minute he's gone from zero to 100.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/targett-newcastle-transfer-saint-maximin-23112753

• 4 weeks later...

I know Chelsea are a tough team to break down but he didn't seem with it when he came on yesterday. Half expected us to have 20 mins of him running riot down the left but it was quite muted. 

Still carrying whatever injury he has or do you think he was just snuffed out by a well organised team?

24 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Bit of both, plus the rest of our team were starting to look leggy by then too.

They were which was why I thought his intro would up the tempo somewhat. Definitely didn't seem his usual self, I was looking forward to seeing him give Chalobah a hard time.

• Like 1

If I remember rightly he looked similar in his first appearances back after injury before too, think he needs game time to get up to speed

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My A level French (that's right dickheads), tells me it would be Maximan. 

I know that lad on TF insists on calling him Maximeen, and claims that that's how the player pronounces it, but HAVE EITHER OF THEM GOT A FRENCH A-LEVEL? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

My A level French (that's right dickheads), tells me it would be Maximan. 

I know that lad on TF insists on calling him Maximeen, and claims that that's how the player pronounces it, but HAVE EITHER OF THEM GOT A FRENCH A-LEVEL? 

Nuff said G Dogg

Georgia Gangster GIF by The Bachelorette Australia

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Gemmill said:

HAVE EITHER OF THEM GOT A FRENCH A-LEVEL? 

I have and I concur.  However, it was about 40 years ago, so French may have changed just to annoy me :smile:

YARN | Bonjour, you cheese-eating surrender monkeys. | The Simpsons (1989)  - S06E22 Comedy | Video clips by quotes | 6269be5c | 紗

Or is bonjewah?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

If it happens it happens. He’s a great individual but perhaps less of a team player.

He’s been amazing where we’ve been at as a club with no overall team structure or direction. He has won games by himself.

But if we’re going to kick on as a proper team with decent players willing to give 100% every match then maybe he’s not going to fit in.

• Like 4

I don't really mind either way at this point, we'll get decent money for him sure but I also expect our new owners to reinvest properly unlike the last lot, so if he goes he goes and we'll get someone else.

• Like 4

The more I think about it, the more I don’t think he fits into Howe’s plan. He is a great individual, but not much of a team player. If we can get £50m for him then this can be reinvested much more wisely.

• Like 3

Agree with all of the above, he’s a very talented player and I like watching him play but even Howe’s comments about how he is trying not to overcoach him leans into what Craig and ewerk mention. I know some will point out that he’s a mercurial talent and you have carry that, I agree with that for where we were but for where we are heading you can get players that are brilliant in possession dribbling past players with ease but also are able to function in a well drilled, disciplined set up. 

As Andrew says we don’t really have to worry with our owners, if we sold him we would bring someone in for equal or more than we sold him for. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Craig said:

Newcastle's owners are looking to put another £60million into transfer funds but will look to sell up to ten current squad members to generate more funds and shape a new-look squad for Eddie Howe.

I call bullshit on this just based on the above. Ten players out and only an additional £60million, that's cunt Ashley level of (lack of) investment, especially when you consider those out are the likes of Gayle, who we will have to give away considering the money he is on, etc, etc.

Actually let's look at who those ten (plus) would be and roughly what they are costing us?

Dwight Gayle contracted until 06/2024 on £60k/wk?

Jamal Lewis contracted until 06/2025 on £30k/wk?

Isaac Hayden contracted until 06/2026 on £50k/wk?

Ciaran Clark contracted until 06/2023 on £40k/wk?

Jeff Hendrick contracted until 06/2024 on £40k/wk?

Matty Longstaff contracted until 06/2023 on £20k/wk?

Mark Gillespie contracted until 06/2023 on £20k/wk?

Karl Darlow contracted until 06/2025 on £40k/wk?

Miguel Almiron contracted until 06/2024 on £60k/wk?

Fed Fernandez contracted until 06/2023 on £50k/wk?

Matt Ritchie contracted until 06/2023 on £50k/wk?

Javier Manquillo contracted until 06/2024 on £40k/wk?

Paul Dummett out of contract at the end of this season and unfortunately looks like is now a permanent crock.

That's a lot of dross on potentially high wages we have to move before we can replace with better.

Hopefully Dummett and Fed will retire and there are backroom jobs for them if they are good enough but the rest, with the exception of Manquillo who I would keep but you just know he's on the list of ten.

You would also hope Krafth, Shelvey, Murphy and Wood are all listed for upgrade.

I've decided not to get too attached to anyone who was here before the January window. They're all a standard we should want to improve upon. Bruno might become world class, or he might not, but the rest of them are not getting to his level, let alone beyond him. 

• Like 1

Yeh I think ASM was a great source of entertainment & morale when things were looking bleak but he isn’t the be all and end all. 

He’s a very talented, entertaining player but I think he pulls us out of shape a lot & loses the ball a lot more than he should. He can improve but I’m not worried whether he does or not.

Also his board game/NFT rubbish is very annoying.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, The Fish said:

I've decided not to get too attached to anyone who was here before the January window. They're all a standard we should want to improve upon. Bruno might become world class, or he might not, but the rest of them are not getting to his level, let alone beyond him. 

Agree with that. I think you can possibly stick Trippier in that same category as well. 

You've hit the nail on the head though Dave in that we shouldn't be getting ourselves attached to any player really. The ultimate aim surely is to replicate the All Blacks sporting model - strive for excellence no matter who is coaching them / wearing the shirt. 

17 hours ago, Tom said:

Yeh I think ASM was a great source of entertainment & morale when things were looking bleak but he isn’t the be all and end all. 

He’s a very talented, entertaining player but I think he pulls us out of shape a lot & loses the ball a lot more than he should. He can improve but I’m not worried whether he does or not.

Also his board game/NFT rubbish is very annoying.

NUFC fans have a deep-rooted love affair with flair players - particularly on the wings. The problem is they tend to play individually rather than as part of a team. During the years I've supported them you can still Mirandinha, Ginola. Robert, Ben Arfa & ASM in there. Great entertainment, but for all that entertainment we've still not be delivered quantifiable success.

unless we replace him with a player that does the hard yards and has a decent final ball/ goalscoring record/attacking threat, which is very difficult to see, i think we should stick with him. no one else in the premiership can do what he does when he is on form, and its down to him and the coaches to maximise his talent. the decision making and especially the final ball side of his brain seems to be quite a way behind the dribbling side....