Allan Saint-Maximin

Anorthernsoul

8 minutes ago, Howay said:

Speaking of this, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player so consistently fall over when he’s about to shoot. I’m not sure what it is but maybe it’s how he plants his foot when he’s about to shoot? Surely it’s something that could be worked on. 

I know your post before didn’t quote me so you may not have saw mine the same way but I’m not defending ASM btw, his avoidance of the pass is definitely his own failing. I’m just hoping it’s something that can be taught out of him, hopefully by a combination of Howe and players that simply demand more and will hold him more accountable rather than just applauding his enviable talent on the ball. It likely stems from always being the focal point of his sides, always being the most impactful and likely shouldering the lions share of responsibility, clearly Bruce’s entire fucking game plan was ‘get the ball to ASM and cross wuh fingers’ it was probably similar for Nice. If we survive this season he will now be playing for a very ambitious side that has players of a much higher level, I think that’s when it’ll become time to either adapt his game or be pushed out the side. I like the bloke so I’m hoping it’s the former, but it’s something he has to address going forward. 

I totally agree. This aspect of his game style has unfortunately been drilled in by the fat headed cabbage. 

I share your hopes it can be coached out as well. The comparison was made to Ronaldo earlier than there's something in that as well. One of the biggest shortcomings of Ronaldo is his sheer arrogance that he's tactically more astute than anyone at the club, including the manager. Even if there's any truth in it it's a dangerous and disharmonious mindset to have on the pitch.

ASM has the potential to be one of the best this league has ever seen, but there is considerable amount of honing to do before he gets anywhere near that - too many of our fans think he's the finished product. He's not.

• Like 2

Not going to pretend to be anywhere near the level of football expert as some on here but I thought ASM put in several decent balls against Everton that could have been converted if other players had been in slightly better positions. He quite easily could have had a hat trick of assists that game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Howay said:

Speaking of this, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player so consistently fall over when he’s about to shoot. I’m not sure what it is but maybe it’s how he plants his foot when he’s about to shoot? Surely it’s something that could be worked on. 

I know your post before didn’t quote me so you may not have saw mine the same way but I’m not defending ASM btw, his avoidance of the pass is definitely his own failing. I’m just hoping it’s something that can be taught out of him, hopefully by a combination of Howe and players that simply demand more and will hold him more accountable rather than just applauding his enviable talent on the ball. It likely stems from always being the focal point of his sides, always being the most impactful and likely shouldering the lions share of responsibility, clearly Bruce’s entire fucking game plan was ‘get the ball to ASM and cross wuh fingers’ it was probably similar for Nice. If we survive this season he will now be playing for a very ambitious side that has players of a much higher level, I think that’s when it’ll become time to either adapt his game or be pushed out the side. I like the bloke so I’m hoping it’s the former, but it’s something he has to address going forward. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

Not going to pretend to be anywhere near the level of football expert as some on here but I thought ASM put in several decent balls against Everton that could have been converted if other players had been in slightly better positions. He quite easily could have had a hat trick of assists that game.

Aye but there was that time around 90 minutes when we were 3-1 up and taking the piss, where he danced past a couple of defenders in the box, wriggled to make room then took a shot when Bruno was free, so... y'know, not a team player or something.

God you people make me infuriated! We bought him when we were shite, he's not going to be the complete package, if he was he wouldn't have signed for us.

Just now, scoobos said:

I fear he thinks that he is the finished article, though, old bean. whatwhatwhat ?

Cool, further proof that expecting him to do the defensive work, dribble past the world, then square it to fucking Joelinton, is mental.

2 minutes ago, scoobos said:

Lee Clarke. Do I win a prize?

Name me one time he fell over when he was about to shoot. :lol:

He had the nickname 'jigsaw', aye but it was nothing to do with an inability to stay on his feet. 

No prize.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Craig said:

Name me one time he fell over when he was about to shoot. :lol:

He had the nickname 'jigsaw', aye but it was nothing to do with an inability to stay on his feet. 

No prize.

Loser GIF by Playboy Fragrances

That's going in my copybook of grudges....... 

16 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Cool, further proof that expecting him to do the defensive work, dribble past the world, then square it to fucking Joelinton, is mental.

Not joelinton now tho is it?  I'd still prefer to see him put in some kind of cross, than try beat 5 from the corner flag with 3 players open.

Edited by scoobos

44 minutes ago, scoobos said:

Not joelinton now tho is it?  I'd still prefer to see him put in some kind of cross, than try beat 5 from the corner flag with 3 players open.

You're right, it's Chris Wood.

And he does put in crosses, more than literally everybody else on the team. But is that good enough for scoobos? NOOoOOOooooOOooOOooOOoooo

Look, until he's putting Peter Beardsley Shimmies on the end of those runs, he can fuck off falling over for 3 minutes everytime he loses the ball . Oh and he can fuck off singing hey jude to the crowd on his own, like its all about him.

"Crosses" being from the byline when you're about to fall over / run it out of play - aren't quite the same as a Trippier pinged pass.

I like him by the way, I find his limping wounded donkey act funny and think he is one of our better players.

Edited by scoobos

8 minutes ago, scoobos said:

Look, until he's putting Peter Beardsley Shimmies on the end of those runs, he can fuck off falling over for 3 minutes everytime he loses the ball . Oh and he can fuck off singing hey jude to the crowd on his own, like its all about him.

"Crosses" being from the byline when you're about to fall over / run it out of play - aren't quite the same as a Trippier pinged pass.

I like him by the way, I find his limping wounded donkey act funny and think he is one of our better players.

What on earth is objectionable about a player facing the crowd and singing along with them after an important win?!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, scoobos said:

Basically he's French.

9 hours ago, The Fish said:

What happened to you? Why do you hate fun?

I don't think that's fair. He's mint on the ball, has scored a few and all that. He backs himself to score more than passing to Joelinton, and with good reason. He's created twice as many chances for other teammates than anyone else. Ritchie is second and Joelinton is 3rd.

Personally, I think that because he's very good, there's an expectation that he will be consistently very good. Just like the fans got on Robert's back because he wasn't blammering them in from 40yds every game.

tenor.gif

Find someone who'll make excuses for you the way Dave will make excuses for ANY FUCKING "MAVERICK" FOOTBALLER. 

• Haha 3

Ftr, he's got right on my tits at times this season, but he was fucking unreal for most of Tuesday night.

And it's gonna be potentially brilliant to see him playing with better players around him, for a team that's on the up. 

• Like 3

Just now, Gemmill said:

Ftr, he's got right on my tits at times this season, but he was fucking unreal for most of Tuesday night.

And it's gonna be potentially brilliant to see him playing with better players around him, for a team that's on the up. 

With competence around him he'll be unreal. A lot of my anger towards him is due to us being shit in the other positions and him not acknowledging this. You can't just cough the ball up when you have the likes of Ciaran Clark to win it back.

9 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Aye i think that's it. Why pass to Joe when i he knows he turns to an utter mong in the 18 yd box

10 hours ago, Gemmill said:

My concern with him is whether he'll acknowledge there's better players around him, or will he continue to believe he's in a class of one. If it's the latter then for all the flair he shows he'll be counter productive. If it's the former then yeah, we'll be quids in.

• Thanks 1

I think it will likely take him a bit to get out of the habit, going from Joelinton to Bruno arriving in the box as we saw at everton, it'll take coaching and time to get "I have to do this on my own" out of his game somewhat.

He always seems to trust getting the ball into the box to Wilson so I think he does recognise that there are players who are worth putting on the end of his passes.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Andrew said:

What on earth is objectionable about a player facing the crowd and singing along with them after an important win?!

It was more the way he wasn't with the pack - he walked around solo, quite a bit after the pack to milk it.

I might be wrong, but it seemed all ego - I've just got it in my head now that he thinks he's better than everyone and that all the chants and praise were at him.

He was definitely separate from the pack on purpose like, and its the second time at a home game he's done it. A lot of people don't see it, because they leave for the pub at the final whistle - but its become a thing recently for 10-15 minutes of "fan interaction".

• Jaysus... 1

13 hours ago, MMXXVIII said:

Basically he's French.

Ah its nothing to do with any racism or anything. It's because his ego seems to have got the better of him after matches and imo during too.

• Jaysus... 1

1 hour ago, Craig said:

My concern with him is whether he'll acknowledge there's better players around him, or will he continue to believe he's in a class of one. If it's the latter then for all the flair he shows he'll be counter productive. If it's the former then yeah, we'll be quids in.

He creates more shooting chances than anyone else on the team, despite his greediness.