Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Well that seems to contradict what I've heard informally,  guess we'll soon find out. Lots of emergency meetings here, I'm way down the pecking order to know much though. 

As for school closures, its honestly really hard to know if the pros outweigh the cons here. Doctors  who often have young children, having to look after their kids is a big tick in the con box.

Dangerous times. When people realise they don't have to commute to be productive and the magical cloud being doesn't seem to care whether they're in the big stone building every Sunday or not...

• Like 2

There are a few reasons why school closures are not regarded as sensible, not least that children themselves are the least at risk from the virus – although they may well be an important channel of infection-transmission to older people who are at risk..

For what it’s worth, ministers are looking with grim bemusement at the debate in football’s governing bodies about banning the public from stadia.

They fear this fuels alarmism and do not think playing matches behind closed doors is necessary at this stage.

Far more sensible, they believe, is for all of us to become much more wary about physical contact with everyone in our day-to-day lives – whether travelling to work, at work, or at the shops.

It's not just about the fact that children are at lower risk, the wee bastards are spreaders, that's the problem.

And not closing football stadiums because it would fuel alarmism? What a crock of shit. People are right to be alarmed right now.

• Like 1

Just now, Renton said:

Letting away fans attend the Liverpool match yesterday was fucking insane.

Especially as a premier league match was called off that very day as somebody from an other club contracted coronavirus. 

Theres thousands of cases in Madrid.

Far more sensible, they believe, is for all of us to become much more wary about physical contact with everyone in our day-to-day lives – whether travelling to work, at work, or at the shops.

Doesn’t this contradict itself? 
How the fuck do they think people get to matches? 
Have they ever been to a match? 
It’s impossible to avoid physical contact at one. 

• Like 2

the difference with the asian countries is they have lived this. the scars from sars are still with them and they're treating it with the respect it deserves. 

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

we will be in the thousands of cases by the end of the weekend. it's about to go BOOM while our politicians sit with their thumbs up their arses. 

i just dragged my kids out of school, not because i'm overly concerned about our health, despite my boy having asthma, but because it's the responsible thing to do. my mother in law, who helps with childcare, is massively at risk due to a lowered immune system and we have instructed her to self isolate for at least a month. 

i'm fortunate enough to be able to work from home. my mate, a VFX compositor, works in a new industry that isn't unionised and they are being offered zero flexibility. he was just saying his bus to work was just as crammed as it always is. 

i've got mates down here who reckon i'm panicking, and i might be - a result of spending all day plugged into twitter, but the lack of action here is staggering. we need to wake up - italy is on its knees. that's us in just over a week unless we start social distancing now. 

I think you are doing exactly the right thing with your boy as those with Asthma could be hit very hard by this. (Wife has it).

Before the rush starts, maybe worth you spending £50 on a nebuliser from Argos. They are not life savers as such, but they may help him get the medcine into his lungs better if he’s hit with the virus. The plastic spacers are good under normal circumstances but if he’s feverish and unwell, the machine works better.

As for the overall way this is being tackled I pretty much agree with the scientists. This isn’t going to go away until we have either all had or a vaccine is developed. Locking down the country too soon is just delaying the big hit. What we need is to let it keep going at some level so that the peak is as flat as possible, giving more seriously ill people, more chance of quality care.

Good luck to you all :)

4 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I think you are doing exactly the right thing with your boy as those with Asthma could be hit very hard by this. (Wife has it).

Before the rush starts, maybe worth you spending £50 on a nebuliser from Argos. They are not life savers as such, but they may help him get the medcine into his lungs better if he’s hit with the virus. The plastic spacers are good under normal circumstances but if he’s feverish and unwell, the machine works better.

As for the overall way this is being tackled I pretty much agree with the scientists. This isn’t going to go away until we have either all had or a vaccine is developed. Locking down the country too soon is just delaying the big hit. What we need is to let it keep going at some level so that the peak is as flat as possible, giving more seriously ill people, more chance of quality care.

Good luck to you all :)

The scientists here seem to be contradicting what the WHO is saying though. Our strategy feels like a massive gamble. Maybe it's a calculated gamble, maybe it will pay off, but lives are at stake. I'd be inclined to follow the lead of the countries who have recent experience fighting infectious disease

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

Dangerous times. When people realise they don't have to commute to be productive and the magical cloud being doesn't seem to care whether they're in the big stone building every Sunday or not...

How the fuck am I going to fix this whilst sat at home watching heirhunters? :glare:

IMG_20200312_125600~2.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

How the fuck am I going to fix this whilst sat at home watching heirhunters? :glare:

IMG_20200312_125600~2.jpg

The Lewisham metropolitan elite don’t concern themselves with the problems of your type.

• Haha 5

31 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

The scientists here seem to be contradicting what the WHO is saying though. Our strategy feels like a massive gamble. Maybe it's a calculated gamble, maybe it will pay off, but lives are at stake. I'd be inclined to follow the lead of the countries who have recent experience fighting infectious disease

Instead of learning from Italy's mistakes it seems we are repeating them. They have to be the best model available to us.

Maybe it's all a matter of timing. The problem is, there is too much guesswork. To tackle this, we need to understand the underlying prevalence, we need mass testing on an unprecedented scale. Or we needed this, too late now. We should err on the side of caution no matter what the economic consequences imo.