Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

11 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Sometimes I wonder if this is all a power trip for him - he talks like he disdains all the trappings but here he is talking in place of the PM, in the PM's garden, and making the whole country wait.

Of course it is - never any doubt

9 hours ago, Alex said:

But I think the papers, Piers Morgan etc continue to go after him following this tbh. He’s become the story and there were enough holes in his arguments for them to be picked apart. 

Mad that we are now relying on Piers Morgan for good :wacko:

• Haha 1

Has anyone mentioned he broke the lockdown rules even before leaving for Durham when he went home to check on his wife when she was first ill then went straight back to work? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Eh? This doesn't help. Why the fuck did they travel to Durham in the first place then? 

Oh what a tangled web we weave.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Eh? This doesn't help. Why the fuck did they travel to Durham in the first place then? 

Oh what a tangled web we weave.....

So it's just a coincidence that she had a different illness which allowed him to go back to work but it was okay to go to Durham just in case and then when he and the kid did get ill with what was obviously covid-19 that justified the trip but meant he had broken the rules by going back to work on the first afternoon. 

Right. 

• Like 1

Lie upon lie upon lie....Johnson at some point this year is finished. Wont make a great deal of difference who leads their 80 seat majority but Bunter will become the "Tory Blair"..rightly or wrongly fuckin reviled by all sides

I’m curious how everyone thinks the “MSM” is handling this story. Is the mainstream media still an unequivocally bad single entity or has it restored a little faith that it can serve public interest by uncovering evidence to the hold government to account? 

@Rayvin?

We need the free press now more than ever. This lot are going to declare war on the fake news media next, I promise you.  

Edited by Dr Gloom

#scummedia was trending last night though I'm not sure if that was down to bots or real people.

It's good to see some investigative journalism having an effect but the media are still self-interested, the likes of the Mail are only pushing it because it gets their readers outraged and outrage is good for circulation.

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’m curious how everyone thinks the “MSM” is handling this story. Is the mainstream media still an unequivocally bad single entity or has it restored a little faith that it can serve public interest by uncovering evidence to the hold government to account? 

@Rayvin?

We need the free press now more than ever. This lot are going to declare war on the fake news media next, I promise you.  

I'm not sure. The thing is, if we're really honest with ourselves, the people defending Cummings aren't totally wrong here. It is a witch hunt and the target is a man who the press hate. I'm not sure it's so much about holding the government to account (where are they on the more serious issues of unnecessary deaths and general failure and incompetence?) so much as it is about them having an opportunity to stick the boot into Cummings, a man they detest.

It just so happens that they're aligned with our side at the moment, principally because Johnson has totally fucked this up. The BBC were pathetic on this even yesterday, interviewing Tory after Tory, with Kuennsberg asking the gentlest questions. ITV not much better.

If this heralds a new era of hounding the government properly then I think you'll get a full 180 from me on this, and I will agree with what you've said. My current view is that the Daily Mail is the entity that is making this hurt though - I don't know why they've done it, I guess they actually do believe they have some kind of moral code to uphold, fractured and distorted as it is - but they're the ones who have made this stick.

I'll enjoy the moment here of being on the same side as the press, but let's not kid ourselves. Long way to go yet, and some of the worst offenders have been dragged to this point kicking and screaming.

15 minutes ago, ewerk said:

#scummedia was trending last night though I'm not sure if that was down to bots or real people.

It's good to see some investigative journalism having an effect but the media are still self-interested, the likes of the Mail are only pushing it because it gets their readers outraged and outrage is good for circulation.

They’re real- I’ve got one on my FB. 

This guy is a former copper, who’s been regularly kicking off about the “biased press” criticism of the Tory govt. 

Clearly the unanimous response from across the full political spectrum of this “biased press” broke him yesterday. 
(This was in response to my posting the picture, with no comment, of the Barnard Castle town sign made to resemble and eye test. :lol:)

42uifw.jpg

• Haha 5

'What I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop mocking Dom now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you. I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will detail your every infringement of social distancing rules'.

• Haha 4