Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

My wife is convinced that she had it when we were in New York in December 2019. It completely wiped her out for about five days. Feeling unwell, fever, persistent cough etc. all the covid symptoms.

This is despite the fact that we went to the doctor over there where she took a diagnostic test and tested positive for the flu...

10 minutes ago, ewerk said:

My wife is convinced that she had it when we were in New York in December 2019. It completely wiped her out for about five days. Feeling unwell, fever, persistent cough etc. all the covid symptoms.

This is despite the fact that we went to the doctor over there where she took a diagnostic test and tested positive for the flu...

Who did your wife catch flu from?/Dr Rents  🧐

The thing about this virus  as we know it took quite a long time before any official acknowledgement from China about covid. Given there weren't any travel restrictions in or out of the country. Surely its quite feasible that this was starting to spread around the world. Where doctors were mistaking it for flu symptoms. 

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Who did your wife catch flu from?/Dr Rents  🧐

Given that the rate of flu in Northern Ireland doubled the week before we left she could have caught it from anywhere. 

Generally the simplest explanation is the most likely. However, with no medical basis I do wonder whether there could have been a milder, less contagious version of covid 19 in circulation earlier than first known and what hit us in March 2020 was actually a mutation that began in Wuhan?

17 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Given that the rate of flu in Northern Ireland doubled the week before we left she could have caught it from anywhere. 

Generally the simplest explanation is the most likely. However, with no medical basis I do wonder whether there could have been a milder, less contagious version of covid 19 in circulation earlier than first known and what hit us in March 2020 was actually a mutation that began in Wuhan?

But mutations happen at a single place and point in time too, there is always a patient zero somewhere, so that also doesn't really make sense. What does is people get ill with respiratory viruses every year, especially flu in winter. Then they wrongly  retrospectively ascribe their symptoms to coronavirus. That's what's happening here imo. 

I'm just saying that given Gemmill's immune system is about as robust as a chocolate fire guard that if covid was already in the country then he was definitely likely to have been its first victim.

• Haha 3

COVID-19: 'Serious errors' by ministers and scientific advisers 'cost thousands of lives' during pandemic, says report by MPs

The key findings of the report include:

• It was a "serious early error" not to lock down sooner

• The decision to abandon testing for COVID in the community early on was a mistake that "cost many lives"

•Failing to prioritise social care and discharging people from hospitals into care homes "led to many thousands of deaths"

• Robust border controls were needed sooner

• There were "serious deficiencies" in communication within government and between central and local government.

•The report finds that deaths could have been prevented but instead elderly were treated as 'an afterthought' 

•Finding is just one among catalogue of failings detailed in the inquiry by the health and science committees

•The report found test and trace system which cost Government £37billion was also branded 'chaotic' fiasco

Edited by trooper

23 minutes ago, trooper said:

COVID-19: 'Serious errors' by ministers and scientific advisers 'cost thousands of lives' during pandemic, says report by MPs

• The decision to abandon testing for COVID in the community early on was a mistake that "cost many lives"

•Failing to prioritise social care and discharging people from hospitals into care homes "led to many thousands of deaths"

• There were "serious deficiencies" in communication within government and between central and local government.

•The report finds that deaths could have been prevented but instead elderly were treated as 'an afterthought' 

•Finding is just one among catalogue of failings detailed in the inquiry by the health and science committees

•The report found test and trace system which cost Government £37billion was also branded 'chaotic' fiasco

* Steve Bruce still hasn’t been sacked  

Updated YP

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, trooper said:

Aye but “Boris” was trying his best and he could have done nothing more

An update on my Dad. He's now entering his 4th week in hospital and I still can't see him because I'm not the designated person. He's being transferred to a rehabilitation home, which could be for several weeks. I'm still not allowed to see him there either. So it will be months without seeing him if he gets out alive. I've now been informed my Mum, as designated person, can't see him either without a daily negative lateral flow test. She is in no way capable of doing this herself, so I will have to do it for her. I'm on holiday next week so she won't be able to see him then when I'm not here. Honestly, I am so sick of this virus and its implications. I've been tripled jab, am happy to lateral flow myself and wear PPE, yet I can't see him (despite being in frequent contact with my Mum). Yet I can do what the fuck I like in a pub etc. Makes no sense to me. 

• Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

An update on my Dad. He's now entering his 4th week in hospital and I still can't see him because I'm not the designated person. He's being transferred to a rehabilitation home, which could be for several weeks. I'm still not allowed to see him there either. So it will be months without seeing him if he gets out alive. I've now been informed my Mum, as designated person, can't see him either without a daily negative lateral flow test. She is in no way capable of doing this herself, so I will have to do it for her. I'm on holiday next week so she won't be able to see him then when I'm not here. Honestly, I am so sick of this virus and its implications. I've been tripled jab, am happy to lateral flow myself and wear PPE, yet I can't see him (despite being in frequent contact with my Mum). Yet I can do what the fuck I like in a pub etc. Makes no sense to me. 

Fully understand your frustrations, seems hugely illogical to me. I hope one way or another you're able to get to see him at some stage.

Is this to do with power of attorney or are they just not letting people in hospitals? 

My uncle (89 y/o) was in for a few weeks a month or so back and we weren’t allowed in either.