Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

I wonder how many of those people who claimed they’d willingly take the place of EU migrant workers on UK farms will now do so UK farms are saying they need them. 

18 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Well if there's a lack of an uptake then they'll have to raise their wages accordingly to attract people. 

I think they want furloughed volunteers. Not that people would’ve done it anyway 

Edited by Alex

30 minutes ago, Alex said:

I wonder how many of those people who claimed they’d willingly take the place of EU migrant workers on UK farms will now do so UK farms are saying they need them. 

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/apr/20/just-not-true-were-too-lazy-for-farm-work-say-frustrated-uk-applicants

Was just reading that earlier, seems it's the farmers that are the problem.

1 minute ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Of course they do :lol: and who wouldn't want to do work for nothing?

Every Brexit-voting patriot in a national emergency (who is already being paid)?

1 hour ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I imagine it is almost impossible to get anything like accurate data as only a tiny percentage will be getting tested.

even those released from hospital would be something.

7 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

even those released from hospital would be something.

I think that’s happening locally....it is round here anyway, according to the Bournemouth echo RBH has released 89 folk who have recovered :good:

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Heard a brief conversation about this at work. A couple of people not impressed Romanians were coming in to the country, 'it should've been dole Waller's forced to do it'. Ah, refreshing to see an old target not being totally forgot when it comes to prejudice. God bless the sun readers. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I think that’s happening locally....it is round here anyway, according to the Bournemouth echo RBH has released 89 folk who have recovered :good:

Aye Leeds hospital released 250 yesterday

UK ministers took a political decision not to be involved in an EU ventilator scheme, Sir Simon McDonald, the Foreign Office permanent under-secretary said today, so challenging previous claims that the UK did not take part due to missed emails.

McDonald was asked by a Labour MP, Chris Bryant, at the foreign affairs select committee whether the ventilator scheme was put to ministers. He said:

It was a political decision. The UK mission (UKREP) briefed ministers about what was available, what was on offer and the decision is known.

His remarks appear to blow a hole in the case originally made most prominently by the Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove.

McDonald also said the prime minister will consider in the next few weeks whether to go for an extension of the deadline for EU withdrawal date beyond December. He said he was stressing the theoretical possibilities, and added he believed the prime minister will confirm the existing timetable.