The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

:lol: My sheets are dry for now, but I’m still legs crossed holding it. 

I’m hopeful I was wrong. This move looks like a possible shift in focus for our lot, in that they’ve tried to sign Botman/Carlos/Vlahovic etc types and despite maybe positive noises from agents/players the clubs weren’t playing ball, our lot have tried for just over a week and have now switched focus to Wood and maybe targets like Cantwell. If that’s the case then to me it’s a real sign of improvement compared to the manager delays, which to me is positive. As I said in my hardcore bed wetting phase of January 11th, 2022 this is still only based on what it looks from the outside, there’s still a worry that they’re pissing about on targets that’s clubs won’t budge, but this move finally showed decisiveness and practicality. I think it really strengthens our hand now as well, obviously we still need players in but the chances of a win in the Watford game are certainly much improved if we get Wood in. Truthfully what set me off on the walk towards my bed for a piss was the reports the prior night hinting that there was no move for Woods, as I had kind of built it up as a no brainer of a move in my head since it not only improves us (considerably imo) but it resigns Burnley to the drop (unless they somehow get a better striker for whatever fraction of the £20m mr disc beard gets). 

I guess I’m not sure what’s next tbh, we need CBs but who out there could we go for that would fit a similar profile to Wood rather than a Botman type? Maybe Conor Coady? He’s weirdly made a lot of positive comments about us since the takeover, I think he’d improve us at the back considerably but Wolves aren’t exactly hurting for money. I’d still like to see Cantwell in despite some peoples reservations. I hope we can get a CB in before Watford, if we do then I think it’s been a solid start to the window. Then likely another CB and CM needed (at a minimum imo). 

Edited by Howay

Our next game is Watford right?… that shite team that were runners up in the Championship last season?

From the sounds of some of the posts here, anyone would think we have a must win game against Inter Milan or something. 

Yeah we were abysmal against Cambridge which deflated a lot of optimism but it’s not like our stats in that game were particularly bad. Had their keeper not had a blinder we’d have got a result from that game and team bed wetters would be soundly sleeping on dry linen. 

Yeah it’s the proverbial 6 pointer but I’d bet my cozy dry duvet that Watford’s players will be shitting their pants knowing they’ve got to come to us and get a result. 

I’m confident with or without any additions that we’ll leapfrog over Watford this weekend and things will look a little bit rosier in the build up to the Leeds game. 

#TeamWillyWavingDrySheets 

:banana::nufc:

Edit: Why the fuck is my font bloody black???

Edited by MrBass
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, OTF said:

If we don't beat Watford what's the stance of the willy wavers? Surely not still thrust proudly forth?

My position all along has been that teams have got out of the shit being 2 or 3 points adrift with like 5 games left. So I just don't accept that, even if we lose this weekend, that 18 games isn't enough to do something about it. 

There were people on here saying we were down when we failed to beat Brentford in Howe's first game man. With well over half the season to play. 

Obviously, it won't look good if we lose at the weekend but there's loads still to play for. It's like writing the title race off in January because first place has managed to get a 4 point lead on second. 

Edited by Gemmill

7 hours ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

Right, what’s the status with the bed wetter brigade?

Have you all put your incontinence pants on now or are we expecting another hissy fit tomorrow if we haven’t signed Franz Beckenbauer by lunchtime?

Ask me again after Watford :lol:

…lose that and we’re back to def con pissy pants.

I am relieved we got wood in. It’s good to see they recognise the gravity of our situation and are acting accordingly. if we sign another  stop gap like Wood before Watford/Leeds - then Digne, Wijnaldum, Ramsey, Costa and Botman by deadline day - I might join the dry sheet massive. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Obviously, it won't look good if we lose at the weekend but there's loads still to play for. It's like writing the title race off in January because first place has managed to get a 4 point lead on second. 

100% this. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'd offer that the difference at the other end of the table is that teams are mostly winning games, so 4 points are much easier to obtain and are a much smaller percentage of their points tally for the season. It's more like a 8-10 point lead.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

And if we do go down, I'm handing out no prizes to the "dude I called it" brigade who had us down in November, because they were just being giant fannies at the time. 

I demand a prize if we go down :lol: 

• Haha 5

Just now, OTF said:

I'd offer that the difference at the other end of the table is that teams are mostly winning games, so 4 points are much easier to obtain and are a much smaller percentage of their points tally for the season. It's more like a 8-10 point lead.

I knew someone would say this, but the relative performance of both sets of teams is the point. The teams above us are there because they can't pull away from the relegation zone, and they'll stay there or thereabouts for the remainder of the season. 

So I'm sorry, but you're wrong. :razz:

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

I demand a prize if we go down :lol: 

Freedom from the constraints of the mattress protector and the musky redolent stench of nervousness not enough?

• Haha 5

Just now, OTF said:

Freedom from the constraints of the mattress protector and the musky redolent stench of nervousness not enough?

I find the stench strangely comforting 

• Haha 3

A win for us on Saturday and defeat for Burnley will see us out of the bottom three. Given how we've been playing in recent league games I don't think there's any need to be overly pessimistic. Two wins on the bounce and a good end to the transfer window (when most business is done) and we could be looking at a very different league table come the end of February.

Two defeats this month and it will be very hard to see us staying up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I knew someone would say this, but the relative performance of both sets of teams is the point. The teams above us are there because they can't pull away from the relegation zone, and they'll stay there or thereabouts for the remainder of the season. 

So I'm sorry, but you're wrong. :razz:

I can’t be wrong, it's simple mathematics.

If we're looking at something like 36-40 points for staying up 4 points is near enough 10% of the tally (assuming you get it, more if you don't). At the other end of the table conservatively you need mid 80s upwards to win, more likely mid 90s in which case you're looking at that similar 10% being 8-10 points.

Also if you knew someone would say it, you wouldn't have said it yourself because it's not a great comparison, I expect better of you. Agree with the rest of your post. 

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

A win for us on Saturday and defeat for Burnley will see us out of the bottom three.

It's going to be a bloody nervous watch, the tough part is if we don't manage to win there will be a very real effect not just on general morale but also on our ability to sign more players in this window. A victory and even a temporary break from the relegation spots is a much easier sell.

3 minutes ago, OTF said:

I can’t be wrong, it's simple mathematics.

If we're looking at something like 36-40 points for staying up 4 points is near enough 10% of the tally (assuming you get it, more if you don't). At the other end of the table conservatively you need mid 80s upwards to win, more likely mid 90s in which case you're looking at that similar 10% being 8-10 points.

Also if you knew someone would say it, you wouldn't have said it yourself because it's not a great comparison, I expect better of you. Agree with the rest of your post. 

Listen up fuckface! I will not have this insolence. 

Ant, put this one in the sin bin. Two days and we'll see if he's ready to apologise. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Gemmill said:

Listen up fuckface! I will not have this insolence. 

Ant, put this one in the sin bin. Two days and we'll see if he's ready to apologise. 

I'm already in a covid isolation sin bin, have at it. Also, fuckface is a term of endearment down here.

• Haha 2

• Tom locked this topic