The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

16 hours ago, 247 said:

But does it really take that much time given our circumstances? It was reported by Hope on twitter that Wilson would be out for 4-6 weeks on the 29th of December, thats more than enough time to get something worthwhile done given our financial situation means we arnt scraping around for a loan here. How many times have players moved on deadline day in just hours? From the time a bid is put in to putting pen to paper can be done in a day or less than, especially if its a player such as Wood who is down the road in Burnley.. its not like we are trying to play fm here really is it? Also about a CB, yes its also a priority but cant we operate on multiple deals at once? It doesnt necessarily matter what order they come in as long as they come in as we need them. 

Dont worry im going to wash my pissy sheets shortly but I cant help but think it does seem slack that we are going to go into this game with no striker on the pitch. 

Well I think you have to consider the willingness of each party to do a deal. That increases as the window closes. Few teams, if any, are in a particular rush to sell in January. That number decreases when they're selling an important player, and decreases further when they're selling to a league rival. 

The Wood deal looks to have completed fairly quickly because of the release clause. I'm sure, if that didn't exist Burnley would either not sell, or would drag it out for as long as possible, and whack a few extra millions onto the price.

Re: operating on multiple deals. Honestly? I'm not sure. If the contract needs to be looked over by an expert, how many of those have we got on staff? Plus, you have several personalities to deal with. The moneymen, the manager, the scouts, the player, their agent, their club's money men, manager, etc. That mess becomes exponentially messier when you have multiple deals on the go, surely?

Especially when we don't have a technical director, this is the first window for our owners, there are 3 ownership parties, we're in the relegation zone and thus desperate.

25 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I saw this chart and thought we'd really missed a trick not getting Digne then I noticed Matt Ritchie. WTF? Has he played as a winger much in this time?

FI2goYwWUA4qSoU?format=jpg&name=small

Even when he's technically out there as a fullback he's often still playing as a winger given that's what comes naturally to him. Plus it doesn't say that it is from open play.

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

A win for us on Saturday and defeat for Burnley will see us out of the bottom three. Given how we've been playing in recent league games I don't think there's any need to be overly pessimistic. Two wins on the bounce and a good end to the transfer window (when most business is done) and we could be looking at a very different league table come the end of February.

Two defeats this month and it will be very hard to see us staying up.

Wood to score our winner, Tarkowski to bang in an OG to lose the game. Then wave goodbye to the fans, and alight into Staver's helicopter.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Villa are smashing this window tbf. How many of us would have been drooling at the prospect of coutinho and digne?

Well some of us would have been drooling, others would be moaning about how sopping wet their bedsheets are

Just now, The Fish said:

Well some of us would have been drooling, others would be moaning about how sopping wet their bedsheets are

Mine would be on a spin cycle if we’d signed those two 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Mine would be on a spin cycle if we’d signed those two 

Thing is, Wood and Trrippier answer two immediate problems for our team. We lacked strength in depth up front and we lacked quality at fullback/quality in delivery.

We've already solved two issues with 2/3rds of the window left to go. If we keep up this pace we could bring in another 4 players to resolve the issues at CB, CM and LB.

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

If we don't sign a LB, I'm alright with Lewis getting an extended run in the team anyway. 

Aye, that's true enough. Stick him alongside someone who isn't Ciaran Clark and he'll be much better. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Thing is, Wood and Trrippier answer two immediate problems for our team. We lacked strength in depth up front and we lacked quality at fullback/quality in delivery.

We've already solved two issues with 2/3rds of the window left to go. If we keep up this pace we could bring in another 4 players to resolve the issues at CB, CM and LB.

Yes but this Saudi blood money has turned me into Gordon Gekko

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Yes but this Saudi blood money has turned me into Gordon Gekko

I'd love to splash the cash, but all the myriad factors means that this particular window was always going to be difficult. Patience, young grasshopper.

Wilson getting injured when he did is a silver lining because, as others have alluded to, we needed at least one striker and that became two as soon as Wilson was crocked. If we can just get a result against Watford things start looking up a bit and attracting more players becomes a bit easier in theory. 

• Like 1

Just now, strawb said:

I think Coutinho is completely finished, will flop massively 

Actually I’m so confident I will donate £25 to sir bobs foundation if he has more than 6 goal contributions (goals or assists) by the end of the season

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OTF said:

Freedom from the constraints of the mattress protector and the musky redolent stench of nervousness not enough?

We've got a William Shakespee'er here. I'll let myself out.

Edited by Polarboy
  • Haha 1

• Tom locked this topic