Other Games 21/22: Talk about Actual Football

Ayatollah Hermione

2 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

So, someone quote this back at me when Wayne Rooney is in the dugout for the February friendlies 

Oof. That's far too plausible.

I wouldn't rule out Potter being willing to jump, mind.

• Like 1

:lol:

I see his legion of defenders are blaming tiredness (as if the Hungarian players are immune to it) and that the game is meaningless. 

I’ve said for a while now he’s not a good enough manager to take the team forward. He played his role well (along with people like Ashworth), but it’s time for him to go as his tactics hold the side back. He’s got attacking weapons like Grealish, Kane, Abraham, Mount, Foden, Saka, TAA, Trippier, Reece James, Chilwell, Sterling, Sancho, etc and yet we don’t create any fucking chances and never have under him. At the WC basically all of the goals come from set pieces, the Euros we were again very low scoring, in both instances we didn’t exactly face the top sides until we were knocked out (and in those games we were absurdly negative). It’s also worth noting that shit managers like Di Matteo have won trophies like the CL, so I don’t understand why constantly bringing up where we finished in tournaments is seen as some bullet proof defence - he has a very high standard squad available to him. 

I think that’s now 6 games without a goal from open play, and we’ve not created many clear cut chances. I keep seeing comments like “maybe the players aren’t as good as people think” sorry but that’s bonkers, these are players managers like Tuchel, Guardiola, Mourinho, and Klopp play and aren’t looking to replace. I’m not suggesting we should win tournaments, or walk in as favorites, but have a fucking go man, and the team absolutely should be playing better football than this. 

Where’s Shaw, is he injured? I know reputation-wise he’s quite marmite but there’s no doubt we are massively missing something at LB. 

And whilst Southgate and Kane have been magnanimous in defeat, we’ve got to move away from this ‘look what we achieved 12 months ago’ mantra. We can’t keep existing on the achievements of the last 2 major tournaments. If anything the warning signs around our lack of goal scoring was their during the Euros. We haven’t seen much experimentation in that area over the past 12 months, and it shows.

As much as I’d love to take the piss out of England they have a squad of players playing meaningless matches after a gruelling season preceded by a short pre-season break. Of course they’re not going to play to their best. Southgate has surely earned the right to take them to the WC. Judge him after that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Howay said:

I think that’s now 6 games without a goal from open play, and we’ve not created many clear cut chances. I keep seeing comments like “maybe the players aren’t as good as people think” sorry but that’s bonkers, these are players managers like Tuchel, Guardiola, Mourinho, and Klopp play and aren’t looking to replace. I’m not suggesting we should win tournaments, or walk in as favorites, but have a fucking go man, and the team absolutely should be playing better football than this. 

This boils my piss as well. These are the best managers in the world, managing the best teams in Europe, who are regularly making the last 4/2 of the best club competition in the world and players like Mount and TAA are key components. The latter especially has to be the deadliest wing back in England in terms of his deliveries and I think he’s better defensively than he’s given credit for. He is completely impotent for England. Mount has hit double figures for goals and assists this season, I believe and he looks like a competition winner in an England shirt. It’s not like they don’t play for teams that don’t control possession either. England regularly have 60-70% of the ball, similar to the likes of Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool, and they do fuck all with it. The lack of movement is criminal. Even Bowen has been dragged into the mire with it. The major crime with Southgate, and, to be fair, the mechanical nature of it has seen us have good tournaments, is that these great creative players, who should be let off the leash, even if only sporadically, are locked into these very small areas of the pitch. There’s very little interchange of positions, too much sideways passing, players aren’t encouraged to dribble and take that chance because it’ll concede possession. I’d love to be proven wrong but I think the pragmatic stance will fall at the first hurdle this time because we’re going to be up against two sides who are going to disrupt us, beat us to the physical side of things and, if the USA are anything like their previous WC appearance, be loaded with the lethal mix of unreal athleticism and USA USA patriotism that is genuinely potent for the first two weeks. Wales and the USA are simply not going to let us have things our way and Southgate has shown that he struggles to react when his plan gets ripped up 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

As much as I’d love to take the piss out of England they have a squad of players playing meaningless matches after a gruelling season preceded by a short pre-season break. Of course they’re not going to play to their best. Southgate has surely earned the right to take them to the WC. Judge him after that.

There's not playing your best and then there's being played off the park by Hungary at home.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Agree with the WC bit but this fatigue is only seeming to be hurting England. You could argue France but if they have a bad breakfast, their entire operation is fucked. Every other nation seems to be operating alright 

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Imagine if it was the WC though. That excuse can't be used when it is. 

56 minutes ago, Craig said:

Crowd have turned on him tonight, press will follow tomorrow. He’ll not make the World Cup. We’ve been utterly abject.

that really would be panic stations.  can’t see it happening. He’s got too much credit in the bank. The World Cup might be his last tournament though 

• Like 2

It’s genuinely incredible that he’s played Kane for practically every minute btw :lol: if anything sums up his management, it’s that. “Ah, Harry will get us out of it. He hasn’t been able to sprint for 50 minutes but one chance will fall his way!” As Abraham, Wilson, Watkins and Toney look on in disbelief 

1 hour ago, Craig said:

Crowd have turned on him tonight, press will follow tomorrow. He’ll not make the World Cup. We’ve been utterly abject.

Chill out Ron Tabloid. There is zero chance of this happening. 

3 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Gemmill having a late night just to stick the boot in. You love to see it

:lol: I get notifications when Craig posts and I'd forgotten to turn my phone down. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

It’s genuinely incredible that he’s played Kane for practically every minute btw :lol: if anything sums up his management, it’s that. “Ah, Harry will get us out of it. He hasn’t been able to sprint for 50 minutes but one chance will fall his way!” As Abraham, Wilson, Watkins and Toney look on in disbelief 

I think he made a comment that basically all of Englands goals are Kane or Sterling, he said it as if it’s some mystery and nothing he can change. He’s a pathetic manager tbh, he’s a coach and is probably good at that but his game plans and tactical changes are poor. He plays an incredibly stifling way in tournaments and it basically relies on players like Kane, or Sterling to be clinical and finish the meager chances created - or just draw and claw through the group. As he’s got such a talented group it’s hard for most international sides to break them down, even though the players are clearly struggling with the formation.

Your post mentioning how boxed in our attacking players are is spot on, there’s basically no movement, it’s so stagnant. He constantly brings up the defence basically being poor which annoys me too, firstly focus on your fucking strength rather than basing your entire plan around trying to lessen a perceived weak area, and secondly that weakness is massively overstated - Walker, TAA, James, Trippier, Stones, Guehi, Tomori, Chilwell, even fucking Maguire and then the avalanche of players he never gives a chance are perfectly fine and better than the vast majority of international sides have available to them. 

• Like 1

Now convinced we’re all right with this absolute helmet on the other side of the argument (FWIW I don’t think Southgate deserves abuse, but it’s clear from the rest of the tweet that Holt doesn’t have any issue with Southgate’s tenure). 

8 hours ago, Howay said:

Now convinced we’re all right with this absolute helmet on the other side of the argument (FWIW I don’t think Southgate deserves abuse, but it’s clear from the rest of the tweet that Holt doesn’t have any issue with Southgate’s tenure). 

It's another case of watch the games, don't just follow the results. Getting a relatively easy run and then being soundly beat by the first highly rated opponent flatters to deceive. It's only against minnows that they seem to be able to consistently create chances and defensively there seems to be no cohesion and a lot of reliance on the goal keeper to have standout games in order to get the results. For the quality of players they have he's underachieving IMHO, and as much as he has respect that counts for nothing in a major tournament. Something needs to change, whether that's only team selection or team selection AND the manager remains to be seen.

• Like 1