Other Games 21/22: Talk about Actual Football

Ayatollah Hermione

28 minutes ago, Alex said:

Agreed, they can fuck right off. The Guardian, for all its right on, moral affections, is particularly guilty of the kind of regional prejudice HMHM mentioned recently. Trendy Man City are sound (as were Chelsea) but it’s a different matter if the Geordies want nice things too. I’ve already gone over the reasons why the relationships between Russia and the UK and our country and the Saudis are not remotely analogous but how I still don’t condone the atrocities of the latter in any way. Did I mention the Guardian can fuck right off? 

Pep is king as is Klopp. Chelsea's Tuchel is revered but Howe is simply not in their league so is easy meat. I would say that Howe would be fucking lauded to the hilt if he was doing shit and our fans weren't impressed with his performances but I fucking love the ignoring of the money abramovich spunked on Chelsea or the tetchy Guardiola getting a free ride. There absolutely is regional prejudice at play and it isn't limited to football, it fucking stinks and needs called out far more vigorously as it goes totally under the radar anywhere else in the country.

• Like 3

Yeh as soon as they need access to a top club the issues will become a footnote. 

“Football Joe” were having a pop at us only for it to be pointed out that A. They’re profile picture is a PSG player B. A large part of their finance is Russian money. 

There’s always a tweet.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Howay said:

:lol: Oh that game was the moral nadir of the sport, not things like awarding a World Cup to Qatar who the proceeded to build all the stadiums using basically slaves in appalling conditions? Or countless other examples. 

Alex is spot on btw, they can scream hypocrisy about the Saudi relationship v Russian one, it is to a degree of course but that’s how foreign policy works. Countries align with certain other countries and have rivalries (for want of a better word) with others that’s ambitions encroach on theirs. Putin regularly calls out things the West does but is more than fine with the shit places like China and India do, hypocritical? Yes, but things just work like that and there won’t just suddenly be some moralistic impartiality taken for the sake of football. Do they not stop to think of the fucking embarrassment and insult SA would take to effectively being told by a bureaucratic body in the UK that they’re scum and their money is no good, while at the same time the UK government is openly encouraging them to do the exact thing they’re trying to do? Of course people can say they don’t give a fuck but the UK government, and general UK foreign policy would. They’ll sit on this moral high horse until we are up there with Manchester City tbh, maybe the regional point HMHM brings up will keep us as a lightening rod for it but it’ll slow down. 

Absolutely, man. The bit about the moral  nadir. :lol: Apart from everything that went on at Fifa under Blatter (and before) you have the next World Cup in Qatar (as you mention) and the last one was in FUCKING RUSSIA ffs! :lol: 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Alex said:

Absolutely, man. The bit about the moral  nadir. :lol: Apart from everything that went on at Fifa under Blatter (and before) you have the next World Cup in Qatar (as you mention) and the last one was in FUCKING RUSSIA ffs! :lol: 

I know I'm basically repeating both of your points here, but... 

The WC Final was held in the Luzhniki Stadium, on the exact same turf where Putin held his batshit pro-war rally the other day. 

And there are thousands of workers in Qatar living 4 to a room in what amount to prison cells, who've had their passports taken from them, and who aren't getting paid the wages they were promised to send home to their families. All to build stadiums for a World Cup. 

Maybe Newcastle United being owned by Saudis isn't even CLOSE to football's actual moral nadir. 

• Like 3

The Gary Neville thing on Amazon Prime about Qatar is worth a watch. There's bits with him talking to the workers and then talking to the agent bloke about the fact that they're all telling him they've had their passports removed, etc. Clearly lots of appalling shit going on, and it's not even like it's a secret. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Right, time to open up that doping investigation for last summer. A fucking preposterous anomaly. Throw that 100m sprinter in as well, that was dodgy as fuck

And those fuckin ponces who won Eurovision 😑

31 minutes ago, Alex said:

Start putting pineapple on pizza again 

Why would you ever not ??

I also think a WC without Italy, ain’t a World Cup, would say same for Germany, Brazil and Argentina.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Well they weren't at the last one either....

Very noble of them to boycott these despotic regimes 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

nope but my view still stands

I know what you mean. They've had a rubbish record since they won it in 2006 though. Failed to get out the group stages in 2010 & 2014, then haven’t qualified for the last one or this one. It’s not like they haven’t had good players available in that time either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toonpack said:

I also think a WC without Italy, ain’t a World Cup, would say same for Germany, Brazil and Argentina.

I don't subscribe to this. If you're not good enough to beat North Macedonia, you have no right being there. Whoever you are. 

It'd be like say the Premier League without Manchester United or Liverpool isn't the Premier League. 

• Like 1