Other Games 21/22: Talk about Actual Football

Ayatollah Hermione

28 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I was taking the bastard good and proper when you were knee high to a grasshopper 

That's nowt, man. I pinched the rear admiral's hat in the good Friday Tyne Wear riot in 1901.

Here he is before I nipped in.....

0e4fc3b5a3a2d0d10354cb61117e5397.jpg

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

That's nowt, man. I pinched the rear admiral's hat in the good Friday Tyne Wear riot in 1901.

Here he is before I nipped in.....

0e4fc3b5a3a2d0d10354cb61117e5397.jpg

You should have stabbed Rees Mogg’s Granda to death while you were at it and done the world a favour 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I had missed the fact they got pumped today. This fucking div could definitely still take them down. 

He definitely could. People made out like a narrow, undeserved win against what is still a bottom half of the table Newcastle without many of the best players was some kind of turning point for their season. 

Crystal Palace have just shown everyone how to beat Everton. Their wide men had all the time and space they wanted and their central midfield is combative, but aimlessly so. They've got West Ham next, then Burnley. Two organised, combative sides who could easily undo the Everton defence. Then 5 games where it's hard to see them picking up a point, let alone the wins they'll need to really get themselves out of danger. Honestly? I think this could go down to the last day.

Say we're 13th, mathematically safe. Would you rather Burnley win and we finish 14th, if it meant Everton went down regardless of their result at Arsenal?

21 hours ago, Alex said:

That’s nowt, I took the Fulwell End four years before I was born 

Tony Blair remembers standing on the Gallowgate terraces watching Jackie Milburn play. Blair was 4 when Milburn stopped playing for us.

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Yeah I'd take us getting beat and finishing 14th if it sent them down. Absolutely. 

That is not even a decision in my world, fuck the scouse mackems

The write up in the Guardian btw of Lampard's comments after the Palace game. Blaming the players, saying they "don't have the bollocks", blaming his predecessors and saying it's been like this for a while, I don't have a magic wand, etc. 

I think he's had 9 games there (7 in the league, 2 in the Cup), and he's already decided that, whatever happens, it's not his fault. 

Contrast that with how Howe behaved here. Read the below. I really hope he takes them down. He fucking deserves a relegation on his CV for this patter alone. 

Screenshot_20220321-101512_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fc054a68354b08c036c7995b7d50dc6e.jpg

Screenshot_20220321-101557_Chrome.thumb.jpg.26e5b901fa48a1146f6319ae50b760b1.jpg

27 minutes ago, Craig said:

Tony Blair remembers standing on the Gallowgate terraces watching Jackie Milburn play. Blair was 4 when Milburn stopped playing for us.

Tbf, that’s an urban myth. He was a guest on football focus when he was still PM and they played the quote (from a radio interview) and it was something along the lines of his being a fan of Len White and being lucky enough to see him play but Milburn being just before his time 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

Tbf, that’s an urban myth. He was a guest on football focus when he was still PM and they played the quote (from a radio interview) and it was something along the lines of his being a fan of Len White and being lucky enough to see him play but Milburn being just before his time 

By all accounts Len White was a hell of a player.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Craig said:

By all accounts Len White was a hell of a player.

Hes the player Shearer's old man apparently always measured his son's ability & progress against...think he scored a lot in divi 2 early-mid 60s? Lots of top players didn't move on after relegation back then because with the maximum wage there was no point if you were already earning it 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

My dad always tells me he was 

Agreed, they can fuck right off. The Guardian, for all its right on, moral affections, is particularly guilty of the kind of regional prejudice HMHM mentioned recently. Trendy Man City are sound (as were Chelsea) but it’s a different matter if the Geordies want nice things too. I’ve already gone over the reasons why the relationships between Russia and the UK and our country and the Saudis are not remotely analogous but how I still don’t condone the atrocities of the latter in any way. Did I mention the Guardian can fuck right off? 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 4

I detest the Saudis behaviour & will never exalt them. Nor will I justify their capital punishment or war. However if my club have to be associated with them I may as well reap the benefits. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 5

:lol: Oh that game was the moral nadir of the sport, not things like awarding a World Cup to Qatar who the proceeded to build all the stadiums using basically slaves in appalling conditions? Or countless other examples. 

Alex is spot on btw, they can scream hypocrisy about the Saudi relationship v Russian one, it is to a degree of course but that’s how foreign policy works. Countries align with certain other countries and have rivalries (for want of a better word) with others that’s ambitions encroach on theirs. Putin regularly calls out things the West does but is more than fine with the shit places like China and India do, hypocritical? Yes, but things just work like that and there won’t just suddenly be some moralistic impartiality taken for the sake of football. Do they not stop to think of the fucking embarrassment and insult SA would take to effectively being told by a bureaucratic body in the UK that they’re scum and their money is no good, while at the same time the UK government is openly encouraging them to do the exact thing they’re trying to do? Of course people can say they don’t give a fuck but the UK government, and general UK foreign policy would. They’ll sit on this moral high horse until we are up there with Manchester City tbh, maybe the regional point HMHM brings up will keep us as a lightening rod for it but it’ll slow down. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 4