The dignified cabbage’s 1000th game

Dr Gloom

5 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

When you consider how far backwards as a club Souness took us, for Bruce to be more hated by anyone than him speaks volumes about the bloke.

I think Souness was far more damaging as a manager, but he was kind of honest about himself. It's the lies and manipulative nature with Bruce that annoys me more than him winging it.

A big difference for me was that Shepherd cared enough about the club to stomach the cost of sacking Souness. Ashley couldn't care less. 

What's hilarious is around 10-15 years ago we came in for huge criticism in the media for this absolute bollocks of needing a 'Geordie Nation' running the club and that we somehow had an anti-southern agenda. 

And then Steve Bruce was appointed. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Craig said:

A big difference for me was that Shepherd cared enough about the club to stomach the cost of sacking Souness. Ashley couldn't care less. 

What's hilarious is around 10-15 years ago we came in for huge criticism in the media for this absolute bollocks of needing a 'Geordie Nation' running the club and that we somehow had an anti-southern agenda. 

And then Steve Bruce was appointed. 

This is another thing. The magedia narrative that we only want our own went on for years, there were plenty of examples contradicting this but it was shot to fuck with the appointment of Bruce.

• Like 2

Bruce, and Souness to a degree, could point to the board/Ashley and say their hands were tied and leave it at that and people might be inclined to be a bit more lenient, Souness has piped up enough times about NUFC but the board come after the fans and local journalists in the blame game. I can't remember him moaning as much while in situ but Bruce moaned non stop about all and sundry, obviously not Ashley even when he was here, threw players under the bus, took no responsibility and gave his woe is me, genial bloke act to his media contacts, many of whom were ex-players whilst giving an impression he was hemmed in like fort Apache the Bronx by the pesky fans which a lot of the media were happy to go with.  Souness is a revisionist, Bruce was doing it in real time so heaven help us if sky or BT reinforce the chairs in the studio and get him on. Imagine the patter between him and Souness whenever we played Liverpool or Man U? :lol:

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, tinofbeans said:

wonder what they think of him, the west brom fans. i mean he's turned a team that would be good enough for the playoffs into a bottom 3 club. that really takes some doing. 

Had a glance at their Steve Bruce thread. First 5 pages are largely, 'He's here, I'll back him', some repeating the talkSport horseshit "He's a good bloke, he'll get us playing better football at least", and some predicting it'll go badly. 

Then this page, where Albion 79 pens a tome about how Bruce is a breath of fresh air, how he'll get the confidence back in the team and it's all everybody else's fault anyway. Then about 15 posts later on the same page "What a truly poor appointment", "He's made us worse. At least we were decent defensively under Val (who I agree had to go). We look just as clueless at creating chances and whilst we're the perfect example of how not to build a squad, we shouldnt be as bad as this.".

This was 15 days after his appointment :lol:

Page 30 "He is starting to make Alan Pardew half decent.

Bruce has proved to be tactically useless. Another game tonight in which we have created nothing and been defensively vulnerable. The decision to sack Val mid-season has proved to a disaster."

Page 50 "Even worse than Ismael. 6 defeats in 12. Yes we've beaten both Fulham and Bournemouth and he deserves some credit for that but the defeats have been shocking. We were 6th when he came in and we'll be lucky to hold on to 12th."

Pg 75 "I will happily eat humble pie if I am wrong, but I cannot for the life of me see why we appointed Bruce. Hasn't really had a good season as a manager for what 10 years that I can think of. Back in the days with Hull??
His times at Villa, Wednesday and Newcastle were all average or worse.

I doubt very much he has what it takes to get us promoted, but will be interesting to see. I do know he failed to implement any sort of quality in our play when he came in this season"

Pg 130 "He's had his chance.  Just a potato sack of money now."

:lol: We did try to warn you lads.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Bruce, and Souness to a degree, could point to the board/Ashley and say their hands were tied and leave it at that and people might be inclined to be a bit more lenient, Souness has piped up enough times about NUFC but the board come after the fans and local journalists in the blame game. I can't remember him moaning as much while in situ but Bruce moaned non stop about all and sundry, obviously not Ashley even when he was here, threw players under the bus, took no responsibility and gave his woe is me, genial bloke act to his media contacts, many of whom were ex-players whilst giving an impression he was hemmed in like fort Apache the Bronx by the pesky fans which a lot of the media were happy to go with.  Souness is a revisionist, Bruce was doing it in real time so heaven help us if sky or BT reinforce the chairs in the studio and get him on. Imagine the patter between him and Souness whenever we played Liverpool or Man U? :lol:

I genuinely think I'd switch it off. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Looking back it's hard to comprehend how Souness did such a bad job with the squad he had at his disposal. But if you look at some of the players he shipped out, the likes of Milner, Bellamy, Hughes, Jenas and O'Brien and compare it to his three most expensive signings, Owen, Luque and Boumsong then throw in his complete arrogance and lack of tactical nouse and it begins to make sense.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MMXXVIII said:

This is another thing. The magedia narrative that we only want our own went on for years, there were plenty of examples contradicting this but it was shot to fuck with the appointment of Bruce.

tbf he was the sequel in shit Geordie appointments to Carver taking over from Pardew. 

Amazing how the adoration for Amersham-born Eddie Howe seems to fall under the radar. If he was born in the NE we'd be getting claims that we only back him because he's from the region. 

I fucking hate the media, bunch of cunts.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Craig said:

tbf he was the sequel in shit Geordie appointments to Carver taking over from Pardew. 

Amazing how the adoration for Amersham-born Eddie Howe seems to fall under the radar. If he was born in the NE we'd be getting claims that we only back him because he's from the region. 

I fucking hate the media, bunch of cunts.

@Dr Gloom

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Looking back it's hard to comprehend how Souness did such a bad job with the squad he had at his disposal. But if you look at some of the players he shipped out, the likes of Milner, Bellamy, Hughes, Jenas and O'Brien and compare it to his three most expensive signings, Owen, Luque and Boumsong then throw in his complete arrogance and lack of tactical nouse and it begins to make sense.

Souness was appointed with completely the wrong agenda. The squad was beginning to dysfunction, it needed someone to come in to bind it back together - dare I say it, someone not too dissimilar to Eddie Howe. 

Instead we had the equivalent of a fucking land mine being appointed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Some people are perfect for roles, he was a great captain. Like Roy Keane, he shouldn't have been trusted with keys.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Holden McGroin said:

Dalgleish did the same with keegans team. Just needed a few tweaks but 1 year later and we were a bag shite.

I will always blame the PLC for that one. Make stupid-arsed 'business decisions' without a care in the world for the footballing effect. I don't think it would have mattered who'd followed Keegan (even Robson), at that moment in time football was secondary in the mind of those running the PLC. 

2 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Dalgleish did the same with keegans team. Just needed a few tweaks but 1 year later and we were a bag shite.

Aye I'd say Kenny's year in charge was the most destructive I've seen. I still never disliked him, mind.

• Like 1

Just now, Holden McGroin said:

Nah, you can't blame the PLC for terrible signings.

Barnes, Rush, Pearce, Pistone, Tomasson etc  - All awful.

I blame the PLC for selling players we never should have. And at least one that Dalglish was dead against leaving.

From what I'd heard there was a fuckload of book-balancing needed after we signed Shearer. And whilst I agree about Barnes and Rush, they were past it, Pistone & Tomasson were considered decent prospects that just didn't gel and I think Pearce was unfairly banded in with the 'old fuckers' group. Pearce did a decent job for us and went on to do likewise at West Ham.

• Like 3

The signings listed above all MASSIVELY downgraded the quality of our team.

They are were all shit. I don't think anyone could back them. Tomasson went on to have a good career but the PL just passed him by at the time.  Too physical for him at that age.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trophyshy said:

I bet the fat cunt is test driving a Tesla this afternoon.

This is it. He's a fucking fraud, people don't like phonies.

I openly admit to dreaming of running Greta Thunberg over in a Mustang with Lars Ulrich crouched on the bonnet like a wolf, barking at cyclists. I get no shit despite them believing my mindset will end the world.

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

The signings listed above all MASSIVELY downgraded the quality of our team.

I'm not debating that, what I do debate is the notion it was ALL Dalglish's doing. It certainly wasn't. Even Keegan alludes to PLC meddling being part of the reason he resigned. 

32 minutes ago, ewerk said:

He reckons Luque and Owen were forced on him. Still got to manage them, though. Notices he keeps schtum on Boumsong. 

23 minutes ago, Craig said:

Can't fucking help himself, can he?

:lol: Luke running to tweet about Bruce, desperate to somehow shoehorn a Rafa dig in....

Jose Mourinho GIF by Dream Team FC

• Haha 3