Jump to content

The dignified cabbage’s 1000th game


Dr Gloom
 Share

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

McClaren seemed very hard working and not completely behind the times, he was just useless and exuded absolutely no authority.

 

McClaren is a half decent coach. He's NOT a manager. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just listening to the Athletic weekend preview pod and the Villa fan on there has described things under Gerrard as "very similar to Villa under Steve Bruce". :lol:

 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Just listening to the Athletic weekend preview pod and the Villa fan on there has described things under Gerrard as "very similar to Villa under Steve Bruce". :lol:

 

 

 

I'll be honest and say that I thought Gerrard would be a half decent manager. I detested him as a player mostly because of his sanctimonious stance on diving which was wholly contradictory to his on-field behaviour, but I heard from various sources that he trained very well and was very professional about it, demanding the same from his teammates. Therefore I at least expected that as a baseline for him as a manager; expecting high levels of professionalism from the players. This of course is the opposite of Bruce who is a lazy prick full of excuses who lets the players take it easy, or at least teflons off the training aspects to coaches. So if Villa fans are seeing parallels between the teams performances under Bruce and Gerrard then I'd expect that it's not because they're similar managers but that they're both just not very good managers.

Edited by OTF
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Substitute Keane for Gerrard in the above post and you get the exact same result.

 

That's probably a fair assessment, though I see there being a distinction between the level of self professed hardman based on the height of the waistline.

 

Surprise Pants GIF by Football Australia

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, OTF said:

 

I'll be honest and say that I thought Gerrard would be a half decent manager. I detested him as a player mostly because of his sanctimonious stance on diving which was wholly contradictory to his on-field behaviour, but I heard from various sources that he trained very well and was very professional about it, demanding the same from his teammates. Therefore I at least expected that as a baseline for him as a manager; expecting high levels of professionalism from the players. This of course is the opposite of Bruce who is a lazy prick full of excuses who lets the players take it easy, or at least teflons off the training aspects to coaches. So if Villa fans are seeing parallels between the teams performances under Bruce and Gerrard then I'd expect that it's not because they're similar managers but that they're both just not very good managers.

 

Aye the thing the bloke bangs on about more than anything is a lack of identity. He can't see what it is that they're supposed to be trying to be. 

 

The one thing that gets talked about based on noises coming out of the club is the fact that Gerrard sees himself as a figurehead and puts his assistant manager in charge of training and tactics. He lost his assistant manager at the end of last season when he went to manage QPR, so to all intents and purposes Villa have had a manager change because a brand new person is in charge of training and tactics. 

 

I can understand taking that approach when you've earned your stripes as a manager and know enough to take a step back and oversee/tinker where things are going wrong. But to start your managerial career with "training and tactics are someone else's job".... Well you don't really want to be a football manager, do you? 

 

Maybe his experience of managers at Liverpool reflects this approach, but that's because by the time someone is managing Liverpool they've earned the right to take that step back and become an overseer. But they didn't start their managerial careers doing that. 

 

He's basically got to the same place that Bruce has, where one has done it through laziness and the other through wrong headed thinking about what a manager's job is. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/10/2022 at 05:59, Gemmill said:

 

Aye the thing the bloke bangs on about more than anything is a lack of identity. He can't see what it is that they're supposed to be trying to be. 

 

The one thing that gets talked about based on noises coming out of the club is the fact that Gerrard sees himself as a figurehead and puts his assistant manager in charge of training and tactics. He lost his assistant manager at the end of last season when he went to manage QPR, so to all intents and purposes Villa have had a manager change because a brand new person is in charge of training and tactics. 

 

I can understand taking that approach when you've earned your stripes as a manager and know enough to take a step back and oversee/tinker where things are going wrong. But to start your managerial career with "training and tactics are someone else's job".... Well you don't really want to be a football manager, do you? 

 

Maybe his experience of managers at Liverpool reflects this approach, but that's because by the time someone is managing Liverpool they've earned the right to take that step back and become an overseer. But they didn't start their managerial careers doing that. 

 

He's basically got to the same place that Bruce has, where one has done it through laziness and the other through wrong headed thinking about what a manager's job is. 

 

Says the coward who does this exact thing on Football Manager games.

 

The rank hypocrisy is disgusting.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.