cheese

thebrokendoll

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol:
Every couple of months I go up to Blagdon for a cheese fest, you can get some really nice stuff there. 
I love a really good, nutty Red Leicester, and some of the Northumberland Nettle cheese is amazing. 
Not a great fan of blue cheeses tbh, I’ll have a little snifter now and then but mostly, bleurch. 
As far as French cheese, Comte, Cantal, Mimolette, Yogi , and occasionally a goats cheese ( Picodon de l’Ardeche if you can get it ), that’s been melted and dumped on a green salad- lush. 

To me, Red Leicester is like the ginger bastard love child that everyone hates of the cheese world.  I suggested this to the current Mrs PL who has since described me as "cheeseist" :lol:  obviously if you're reliying on Sainsburys as a source your choice is going to be limited...blue cheese devotees might want to try our local Dorset Blue Vinney which is an unpasteurised treat round these parts with chilli jam on an oatcake....

Edited by PaddockLad

:lol:

The stuff the supermarkets sell as Red Leicester does have its uses mind. 

Recipe

Take 500g of Tesco Red Leicester

Pre-heat oven to 200°c for 5 minutes 

Cut cheese in to thick slices. 
Turn off oven
Bin the fucking lot. 

• Haha 1

Tell you what like, you’d never get these levels of middle-aged/class ponce on N-O. I had a look in the what are you eating? thread and they were arguing about Big Macs 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 7

I have never understood the appeal of McDonalds. 
Even amongst other fast food burger joints, it’s burgers are fucking rank. 

And if you’re in Newcastle, there’s so many places to get a proper, decent burger now that you’re spoilt for choice. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I have never understood the appeal of McDonalds. 
Even amongst other fast food burger joints, it’s burgers are fucking rank. 

And if you’re in Newcastle, there’s so many places to get a proper, decent burger now that you’re spoilt for choice. 

It's no worse than BK or KFC, and it's dirt cheap compared to 5 guys or the like I guess. Actually they had some Angus burgers a while back which were okay. My kids just love the plastic shit you get with happy meals though, so they are "treated" once a month or so. 

Aye, I occasionally take my bairns. Even the breakfasts are shit though. Hash browns are like frozen ones you’d do at home, crappy coffee etc 

25 minutes ago, Sonatine said:

There's a Burger Priest joint in Durham, pricey but the burgers are a level above the other fast food joints.  Their beer battered onion rings are lush too, if also a rip-off <_<

I never knew it was decent I just laughed at the name every time I drove past :lol: 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

The reason I can never go vegan. 

Montgomery cheddar

Colston Basset Stilton 

Mont d’Or

Gorgonzola dolce

Camembert

Morbiet

Gruyère

Coulommiers

etc etc

Aye. A vegan mate was telling me about Sauerkraut based "cheese" alternatives, which weirdly angered me almost as much as hearing my other (non-vegan) mate say he "just didn't like cheese".

• Haha 1

Most recent McDonalds I had was last month, in the small town in Sweden where my mam's from, because it's the only place in town that's (a) affordable and (b) open after 9pm. :lol: I'm pleased to report that, while Swedish McDonalds does have some local variations (bearnaise dip! pear milkshakes!), the cardboard quality of burgers and fries alike is a universal feature.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Tell you what like, you’d never get these levels of middle-aged/class ponce on N-O. I had a look in the what are you eating? thread and they were arguing about Big Macs 

Came for football chat, stayed to talk quinoa 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

This French alternative is a touch of class 

image.jpeg.ce51da50229ed0ead219a8d9ac943d52.jpeg

Pretty sure I used to eat the laughing cow cheese when I was a kid, here in the UK. I fucking love cheese like, I'm not a connoisseur like most on here mind, I'll eat any old shit, as long as its strong. Love cornish cruncher cheddar in particular, and partial to the odd bit of Stilton or stinking bishop. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Renton said:

Pretty sure I used to eat the laughing cow cheese when I was a kid, here in the UK. I fucking love cheese like, I'm not a connoisseur like most on here mind, I'll eat any old shit, as long as its strong. Love cornish cruncher cheddar in particular, and partial to the odd bit of Stilton or stinking bishop. 

cornish cruncher is great. If you like that you’ll love Montgomery cheddar. Super extra mature, hard cheddar with loads of crystals. To die for. 

perfect paired with a punchy full-bodied red 

image.jpeg.16360e50c4187c80bfc040ef63225100.jpeg

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

The reason I can never go vegan. 

Montgomery cheddar

Colston Basset Stilton 

Mont d’Or

Gorgonzola dolce

Camembert

Morbiet

Gruyère

Coulommiers

etc etc

You're not even going veg with all the animal rennet in those cheese TBH.

• Haha 1