Howe's Brazil Black and White Army v Fat Franks Right Wing Red Wall Bluedippers

wykikitoon

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

This paragraph is fucking hilarious, shes a fucking awful writer at the best of times, desperately trying to reach her word counts but it goes to a new level when shes also trying to accomplish something with her writing rather than just reporting on the match

It sounds like she’s still on the payroll at the SOS.

Game number 3 I chose not to watch of the season. Win number 3.

Im missing all the fun but taking one for the team. 

Gary Neville "Ohhhhhhhh, where do you want your statue Holden McGroin"

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Haha 10

I said at the start of the thread that Howe will start to be judged now he’s had all that money to spend. Well, I like what I’m seeing.

The press was well-drilled. They are clearly playing for him. What a contrast in style and application to the start of the season and how refreshing to see a midfield packed with energy play on play on the front foot and dominate an opposition. It’s taken a few weeks but you can see the work that’s gone in on the training ground bearing fruit at last. 

If I’m being hyper-critical I’m still not sure how Chris Wood fits into this side. He just doesn’t seem suited to Howe’s system and style of play. Lacks the mobility to play up front on his own or to press effectively off the ball. The only weak link last night. Even Lascelles had a mostly good game. 

I think Wood is part of the reason we're seeing more of ASM where we should be seeing him, which is enough for me. 

On ASM, I think there's a shelflife with him for a club that wants to win things, but it's gonna be absolutely mint watching him in the meantime in a side that's going places. He was fucking ridiculous at times last night. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I think Wood is part of the reason we're seeing more of ASM where we should be seeing him, which is enough for me. 

On ASM, I think there's a shelflife with him for a club that wants to win things, but it's gonna be absolutely mint watching him in the meantime in a side that's going places. He was fucking ridiculous at times last night. 

Wood is a handful and a real presence in the box.We now need another offensive player to get closer to him and to ‘read’ his flick ons.Nice to see two of our offensive players on the scoresheet last night.Both Shelvey and BUJ7 faded badly in the second half having been average in the first half.Drop BUJ7 and get Bruno in for the Villa game.

I woke up this morning checked my resting HR and it was up by 15bpm on normal :lol: that's how fucking buzzing I was last night.

When I saw Bruno & Burns on the bench it didn't bother me one bit.  After the Leeds game I was confident.

Trippier though wow.  There were so many pundits who said he was an ok buy.  Andy Goldstein is the only one who has said how good he is and what a buy he is.  He was immense again last night.  He is so calming and that ball he took and stopped dead I think from Shelvey was just class.  His attitude is amazing.

Targett.  Great solid debut.  

Willock that second half was superb.  Like I think Howay said.  I would like to see that energy from the off.  But the second half he was brilliant.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Wood needs to stick to the 18 yard box. A couple of times in the first half he dropped deeper to get on the ball and just ended up slowing things down.

yep, he's a flick on to the other big man up front kind of player. wonder how many assists he'd get with a runner ( willock 10 yards further forwards)... 

also he gets offside too much for a "static" forward. if he angled his runs he'd be more potent. 

having said that he did play his part, confidence will come. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

Wood is a handful and a real presence in the box.We now need another offensive player to get closer to him and to ‘read’ his flick ons.Nice to see two of our offensive players on the scoresheet last night.Both Shelvey and BUJ7 faded badly in the second half having been average in the first half.Drop BUJ7 and get Bruno in for the Villa game.

I think it might be Shelvey that makes way for Bruno. I actually think whoever loses out it's gonna feel harsh on them (I know you won't agree 😜). 

• Like 1

That league table is starting to look a bit better like. A bit of a master stroke, which could’ve easily backfired, by Howe to not make it look like we’re totally reliant on the latest signings. Fucking buzzing this morning after an almost perfect set of results. Off work for the rest of the week / up to sunny Alnmouth too. 

• Like 9

makes the most sense. looks like Bruno can do the number 6 role (think of Verrati/ Jorghinho), so the technical control of the tempo of the game. the next step is to get the other defensive midfield position. 

he could actually work with Shelvey i think, but Shelveys not got the engine or defensive capability, he has got a decent long pass when he's on form, which recently he has been.  Shelvey played well yesterday, but we do need that level of control, which he can't bring.... at least not without changing his game big time which won't happen. 

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I think it might be Shelvey that makes way for Bruno. I actually think whoever loses out it's gonna feel harsh on them (I know you won't agree 😜). 

If we’re going to try and press the opposition a bit higher up the pitch then players are going to feel that in the second half. Especially compared to the way we played under Bruce. It’s nice that we’re starting to have some options in midfield to make substitutions / rotate those players. 

• Like 3

Yes, Bruno comes in for shelvey for me. Not that Shelvey has done much wrong but Willock and Joelinton were crucial last night.

Add Bruno to the mix and we have a trio capable of playing at a high tempo . I haven’t seen enough of Bruno to know if we would miss shelvey’s passing but those are the three that that seem best suited to Howe’s pressing game plan. It might also free Willock up to play a little closer to Wood. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

Last night will do wonders for so many confidence issues as well, be that Howe, the players and the fans. 

Howe can see things working as he intended, players like Willock will see they still have those stronger qualities and bedwetters like (you know who you are), can start to actually…..

Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Yes, Bruno comes in for shelvey for me. Not that Shelvey has done much wrong but Willock and Joelinton were crucial last night.

Add Bruno to the mix and we have a trio capable of playing at a high tempo . I haven’t seen enough of Bruno to know if we would miss shelvey’s passing but those are the three that that week best suited to Howe’s game plan. It might also free Willock up to play a little closer to Wood. 

The thing about Shelvey, is that regardless of how well he is playing, he still  has that moment of absolute insanity in him, either a baffling decision in the tackle (as last night which could have seen him walk) or losing possession in some mad way which costs us.

It never matters how on song he is, it is always just there in the periphery waiting to pounce.

• Like 3