Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

On 19/07/2022 at 15:22, Dr Gloom said:

10 goals in a shite Watford side. Can play wide or through the middle. Might be worth a punt if we don’t manage to get our preferred options.

Cornet, I dunno. I heard or read somewhere that he’s quite like ASM in the sense that he blows hot and cold. 

Both decent defensively as attacking players go, Dennis the better finisher.

Wouldn't be terrifically excited about either, but I wasn't that excited about Burn or Tartgett either so what the fuck do I know? They are definitely both an upgrade on the departing Gayle and arguably on Almiron and Wood too, which I guess is the most important part of the puzzle. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Both decent defensively as attacking players go, Dennis the better finisher.

Wouldn't be terrifically excited about either, but I wasn't that excited about Burn or Tartgett either so what the fuck do I know? They are definitely both an upgrade on the departing Gayle and arguably on Almiron and Wood too, which I guess is the most important part of the puzzle. 

yup. feels like this is the sort of window where we might have to settle for few stepping stone players in the burn/targett mould rather than the £50-60m marquee signings. I still think we could see another player brought in though who will excite in the way bruno did 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, KetteringMag said:

I do worry we won't get what we need because we're fannying about making bids to our valuation, get they don't want to be taken for mugs but eventually we're going to have to overpay 

Sure, but you exhaust lower cost options, before committing to overpaying, right? 

We could have got Botman for, what was it, £50m in January? Or we got him for £34m this summer. Makes sense, right?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Sure, but you exhaust lower cost options, before committing to overpaying, right? 

We could have got Botman for, what was it, £50m in January? Or we got him for £34m this summer. Makes sense, right?

Maybe it's because leaks aren't coming out this summer but it seems we've only gone for players teams don't want to sell and then lowballed them with offers/valuation 

7 minutes ago, KetteringMag said:

Maybe it's because leaks aren't coming out this summer but it seems we've only gone for players teams don't want to sell and then lowballed them with offers/valuation 

There is also the added thing of the world cup this year.

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

yup. feels like this is the sort of window where we might have to settle for few stepping stone players in the burn/targett mould rather than the £50-60m marquee signings. I still think we could see another player brought in though who will excite in the way bruno did 

Honestly, I think it's the revenue issue. If we can get some sponsorship deals through, we'll have more room to manoeuvre. We've got cash for fees, but I think the wages are the issue. Fees and wages are only allowed to make up 70% of our revenue, so if we can get some phat sponsorship deals in play we should be ok, buuuuut those deals will be scrutinised by the PL, the FA and other clubs to make sure they are at 'fair market value', which is surely a purely a subjective position. 

So, in the mean time, it makes sense to move on players like Gayle, Shelvey et al, who, while not on giant wages, are on way more than a 4th choice midfielder or striker should be. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KetteringMag said:

I think we're going after players that teams don't want to lose, and offering a reasonable amount for them. But we're getting quoted inflated prices for those players, then the agents are demanding inflated wages because they're of the belief that Newcastle United are the richest club in the world and can therefore afford it. When, in reality, due to FFP we have to box a little clever. 

Also, the leaks are most likely coming for the other side of the deal to either drum up interest, or force our hand. Look at Ekitike, for example, we agreed a £25.6m fee (+ add ons)  for a young player with potential, he's eventually gone on loan to PSG because his agent was acting the fool. In a years time, unless he somehow breaks into the PSG first team ahead of Neymar, Messi, Mbappe, Icardi, and Kalimuendo, he'll be going back to Reims with his value decreased.

Diego Carlos we were quoted £30m plus add ons, he went for £28m to Villa. We got Burn instead for £13.5m and I don't think Carlos is twice the player Burn is.

Sven Botman, Lille wanted c£45m, we eventually got him for £30m

If we'd spent the asking price for these players, we would be £30m worse off and the impact to FFP that that entails.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Honestly, I think it's the revenue issue. If we can get some sponsorship deals through, we'll have more room to manoeuvre. We've got cash for fees, but I think the wages are the issue. Fees and wages are only allowed to make up 70% of our revenue, so if we can get some phat sponsorship deals in play we should be ok, buuuuut those deals will be scrutinised by the PL, the FA and other clubs to make sure they are at 'fair market value', which is surely a purely a subjective position. 

So, in the mean time, it makes sense to move on players like Gayle, Shelvey et al, who, while not on giant wages, are on way more than a 4th choice midfielder or striker should be. 

There's nothing to stop our owners sticking £1bn in our bank accounts. FFP is about what we spend. Under Ashley our wages to revenue levels were consistently among the lowest in the PL. There's definitely room for a few £150k pw players on our books. I think the club are being very careful to not pay massively above market level for players and that's what is holding things up rather than FFP.

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

There's nothing to stop our owners sticking £1bn in our bank accounts. FFP is about what we spend. Under Ashley our wages to revenue levels were consistently among the lowest in the PL. There's definitely room for a few £150k pw players on our books. I think the club are being very careful to not pay massively above market level for players and that's what is holding things up rather than FFP.

I thought there was a limit on how much the owners can put into the club per year?

As equity I think there is but there's nothing to stop them giving us a £1bn interest free loan. Obviously that doesn't mean that we can spend that money due to FFP but AFAIA there's nothing to stop them doing it. So short term cash flow isn't an issue.

• Like 1

I think not wanting to overspend is part of a long term plan. We don’t want to set the precedent of being prepared to pay way over the odds. It’s frustrating from a fan point of view but sensible. Everything suggests they’re here for the long haul 

• Like 5

Aye, I'd be more concerned about our approach if we we chucking whatever it took to get someone here. It's more than just buying the most technically gifted players however much they cost. 

I don't get the link to Harrison at all.  I'm not saying he's a bad player but as far as I can see he's a left winger/forward.  ASM certainly has his critics but the reality is he's about the last of our attackers who needs replacing.  So why would we be looking to sign someone who plays in the same position?

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I've seen a few places that Gayle is going on a free.  His contract isn't up until 2024 so that won't have been cheap to pay him off.

It'll be less than the 2 years of wasted wages it would have cost us, and he gets the opportunity to play football up until he's 34. 

We can thank Ashley/Penfold/Bagpuss for having to do this. Morons.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I don't get the link to Harrison at all.  I'm not saying he's a bad player but as far as I can see he's a left winger/forward.  ASM certainly has his critics but the reality is he's about the last of our attackers who needs replacing.  So why would we be looking to sign someone who plays in the same position?

He's obviously a talent, but my instinct is he doesn't fit Howe's future plans. I still wouldn't be surprised to see him jettisoned, perhaps in January and therefore I'm not at all surprised we're being linked with potential replacements. 

4 minutes ago, Craig said:

It'll be less than the 2 years of wasted wages it would have cost us, and he gets the opportunity to play football up until he's 34. 

We can thank Ashley/Penfold/Bagpuss for having to do this. Morons.

Absolutely, wise move by the club.

3 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Absolutely, wise move by the club.

Yep, it suits all parties. Us, Stoke and Dwight Gayle. I think he's aware that Championship is his level and he clearly doesn't just want to be a bench-warmer. 

You also have to consider we've taken the hit to open up a squad place for an incoming forward. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season