Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Yeah they'll want at least some money for him, but perhaps he's nervous about moving just before the World Cup and not getting in the Spain squad. Then again if he's not getting regular game time for Madrid he likely won't anyway. 

Some of our less sensible fans aren't taking the Ekitike news well.

Im disappointed too, but it's not hard to understand why a young French lad would want to play in the Champions League and win Ligue 1 alongside Messi, Neymar and Mbappe 

8 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Some of our less sensible fans aren't taking the Ekitike news well.

Im disappointed too, but it's not hard to understand why a young French lad would want to play in the Champions League and win Ligue 1 alongside Messi, Neymar and Mbappe 

Whats wyki saying? 

• Haha 3

Chris Waugh reckons we have about £30-40mins left to spend. Broja was attractive because we could loan him and spend the rest of our budget on a RW. Our options seem to be thinning out now. 

If we end up with no attacking reinforcements you need to question the wisdom of dropping £40mins on a CB and GK, which were fairly low on our list of positions needing strengthening 

• Like 2

Glass half full maybe we've made some progress on another target, and so didn't feel the need to go back in for Broja again. You would hope by the end of next week we'll see some substantial movement on someone. Of course it's also likely that moving to West Ham was just the most convenient option for Broja if he's only going to be going on loan. 

Edited by Polarboy

55 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Chris Waugh reckons we have about £30-40mins left to spend. Broja was attractive because we could loan him and spend the rest of our budget on a RW. Our options seem to be thinning out now. 

If we end up with no attacking reinforcements you need to question the wisdom of dropping £40mins on a CB and GK, which were fairly low on our list of positions needing strengthening 

Aye, it’s possible that the amounts are true, I agree it would be a bit mad buying a CB for that when we desperately need midfielders and attackers. They could be happy consolidating I suppose but with this lack of attack it’s a bit of a momentum killer. 

The thing that makes me seriously doubt it is that firstly it’s not really how FFP works, so when these journalists say “there’s only £35m left” it’s not accurate it’ll depend on timing of payments, agent fees, player contract etc etc. Secondly I don’t understand going for the players we’ve been after - how were we ever going to sign Diaby and Ekitike together? Surely the plan was never to only bring in Ekitike. If this is the budget then why aren’t we in for Sarr, Dennis, Cornet, maybe even working on Toney and Harrison earlier to try and get their valuations lower. It just all seems a bit off for me. 

The other angle could possibly be that they’re saying £40m for FFP in the same way they said £60m to Edwards early in the window. Which could be accurate? As if you say Botman was £35m over 5 years plus wages of £4m a year he’d be £11m against that £60m (obviously oversimplified everything as there’ll be other things involved I’m sure). 

Edited by Howay

Best case scenario is that most stuff you see in the papers is almost pure speculation, and Ashworth and co will sign two or three players in a very short space of time, one or two of which will comes as a nice surprise, perhaps not have even been mentioned as possibilities. Chris Waugh and few others have hinted that we're trying to buy someone who hasn't been reported on as of yet. 

So they're after Broja and Scamacca, and already have Antonio obviously vying for one spot up top? Seems unlikely, but I suppose with Antonio's fitness concerns, and the fact that Broja can play wide it's not totally out of the question. I'd have to admit I'd be more than a little envious if West Ham pulled off both those transfers given our current position in the market. 

• Like 1

Well, don't expect much. I already tell it.

Scamacca played in youth time at Roma. A couple of years ago, his father, to settle pending accounts, entered the Ciutat Esportiva de la Roma with a baseball bat and an iron bar and destroyed the cars of several bosses.

His grandfather has been arrested several times in his town, on one occasion, when the police arrived, he was in a bar with a knife threatening normal people.

Eddie Howe ready to gamble on fitness of Callum Wilson this season and rely on forward for 20 goals | Daily Mail Online

Hope is saying that we're going to spend all our remaining money on a winger, and rely on Wilson up front, with Howe drawing up a special training plan for him to hopefully keep him fit the majority of the season. On the other hand Howe was interviewed recently and he said that he wants another couple of players. Howe a few days before that interview was talking about getting at least one, and perhaps having to alter our plans in terms of position we were going after. So maybe I'm reading too much into it, but perhaps things have shifted a bit in the market and we'll be getting two attacking players instead of just spending all our remaining money on a right winger. 

looking on oddschecker the bookies still have us as 7th favourites to win league, finish top four and top six. was a bit surprised at that,  thought we mightve drifted a bit with not having reinforced the attacking area. 

personally think it's unlikely we'll maintain the momentum of the 2nd half of last season without strengthening up front.

I'm taking comfort from this on account of them being rich and me being a pauper.  :)

In fairness there's over six weeks until the window closes, so it's not time for the pampers yet. I'm trying to take my own advice by saying this as opposed to pointing fingers 😂👍

Edited by Polarboy
  • Haha 1

Wilson and Wood to get us through the first 18 games until the window reopens then. After that it's Joelinton or ASM up top.

I appreciate it's been a difficult window but we've known the front 3 is where we needed to strengthen since last season. Chuck the kitchen sink at Diaby and see if he can chip in with 10 goals.

"Gamble" is the right word...

F175F0C9-D310-4847-A0B9-A5BC55637009.thumb.jpeg.a930ac638cc60a9006a9b4b2b2da7491.jpeg

Edited by Kid Dynamite

Worst comes to the worst I do believe we'll get a few on loan towards the end of the window, with the likes of Hudson-Adoi, Pulisic, players from abroad etc, becoming available once other teams have done their business for the window. If that's what happens it will be a reality check of where we still stand in the pecking order for any of those that need it. 

We'll get what we need imo. And eventually the walking away when people take the piss will start to pay off. 

You have to walk away a few times before people realise you're serious. We're still in the walking away phase and the selling clubs are still in the trying it on phase. But in time the selling clubs will learn and start meeting us halfway. It'll get easier, I'm sure. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

We'll get what we need imo. And eventually the walking away when people take the piss will start to pay off. 

You have to walk away a few times before people realise you're serious. We're still in the walking away phase and the selling clubs are still in the trying it on phase. But in time the selling clubs will learn and start meeting us halfway. It'll get easier, I'm sure. 

Bang on. I'd rather we didn't get bent over for players, it makes us an easy target and appear amateur. I think aside from Wood, who was clearly overpriced, we've done pretty well out of our transfers so far. I don't think there's any doubt we need more attackers who can chip on with goals but that's what everyone else is after too. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season