Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

4 minutes ago, Craig said:

Yep, it suits all parties. Us, Stoke and Dwight Gayle. I think he's aware that Championship is his level and he clearly doesn't just want to be a bench-warmer. 

You also have to consider we've taken the hit to open up a squad place for an incoming forward. 

Really surprised Boro didn't go in for him.  Unless they did and couldnt afford his wages.

24 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I've seen a few places that Gayle is going on a free.  His contract isn't up until 2024 so that won't have been cheap to pay him off.

2 seasons, on c£50k a week? about £5m.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, craigc said:

Is anyone a bit underwhelmed by this transfer window so far

No.

And if anyone is, they're wrong, stupid and fucking ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Craig said:

He's obviously a talent, but my instinct is he doesn't fit Howe's future plans. I still wouldn't be surprised to see him jettisoned, perhaps in January and therefore I'm not at all surprised we're being linked with potential replacements. 

Replacing ASM would be fine but not when Murphy is one of our most likely starters on the other side of the pitch.  Maxi is miles better than any of the three other wide options so you don't get rid of him for someone who only likely a stop gap option and leave yourself with bottom six players on the other side of the pitch.

If Harrison and Maxi are both left sided players, signing Harrison makes no sense at all.  I'm surprised I've not seen anyone else question this.  The only argument I've seen is that people just don't like Harrison.

Unless I'm completely wrong about where Harrison plays.  I fully admit I've not seen loads of him but I always got the impression he plays on the left and his wiki page seems to back that up.

4 minutes ago, craigc said:

Pope and Botman if that's our lot I'll be a bit disappointed. 

What makes you think that's our lot? We've another six weeks of the window to go.

8 minutes ago, craigc said:

Targett made a perm too.  We have shipped out a lot so far and then we have plenty of time left. A  lot of business is done at the latter end of the window.  This is new territory for us as usually by now we have done fuck all business.  I expect us to be in the mix for business at the latter end of the window.

29 minutes ago, craigc said:

We've got enough bedwetters in here already, don't need any more. 

29 minutes ago, craigc said:

no the three signings so far have been brilliant:

our first choice centre back

an england international goalkeeper

the left back who was one of our best players during his loan spell

the lack of progress on forward players has been frustrating but if we manage to get a couple more of a similar standard it will have been another excellent window 

45 minutes ago, craigc said:

Hang on, you said, 'underwhelmed so far'.  So far we've signed;

1. a top class England intrnational 'keeper who will allow us to play further up the pitch,

2. a dependable, reliable left back of Premier League quality who was player of the season for Villa, then one of the better performers for us in the 2nd half of the season.

3. one of the most exciting young CBs in European football who was courted by the Italian Champions no less.

If you're underwhelmed by that you need to check your yourself before you wreck yourself.

People are getting too greedy too quickly. Weve signed 7 players in the space of 6 months. Ball of time left in this transfer window for more players but if we cant get the right players with the right profile for various reasons then so be it, im happy to wait. 

1 hour ago, David Kelly said:

Replacing ASM would be fine but not when Murphy is one of our most likely starters on the other side of the pitch.  Maxi is miles better than any of the three other wide options so you don't get rid of him for someone who only likely a stop gap option and leave yourself with bottom six players on the other side of the pitch.

If Harrison and Maxi are both left sided players, signing Harrison makes no sense at all.  I'm surprised I've not seen anyone else question this.  The only argument I've seen is that people just don't like Harrison.

Unless I'm completely wrong about where Harrison plays.  I fully admit I've not seen loads of him but I always got the impression he plays on the left and his wiki page seems to back that up.

Didn’t somebody comb THE STATS and find out that Maxi is actually more effective on the right from an assist standpoint? I.E he has to pass with his strong foot rather than cut in and shoot with it

• Like 1

I totally agree having only seen him for about 10 minutes in a friendly.

All joking aside, I don't think we have improved much from the end of the season. Might take Botman time to get upto speed so Burn maybe the better option to start on day 1. Also, Pope is not much of an upgrade on Dubravka.

I think we'll go balls out on a marquee signing and add another 1 or 2 as well so im not worried.

Think about the squad the owners inherited. We’ve come along way in a short time and as ewerk points out there’s over a month left in this window. It wasn’t like building on Leicester or West Ham type side to challenge for CL

places. It was a complete overhaul they needed. Remember when we pretty much would’ve taken their hand off if someone had offered us finishing 4th bottom? 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I totally agree having only seen him for about 10 minutes in a friendly.

All joking aside, I don't think we have improved much from the end of the season. Might take Botman time to get upto speed so Burn maybe the better option to start on day 1. Also, Pope is not much of an upgrade on Dubravka.

I think we'll go balls out on a marquee signing and add another 1 or 2 as well so im not worried.

Yeah. Howay made the point well that signing Botman and Pope didn’t make a lot of sense of we weren’t going to improve the attacking positions this window. Given they’re a greater priority 

Getting rid of the dead weight, and I mean that in the nicest way possible, is probably a lot harder than we even think. It's going to take two or three windows on top of last January to get our squad into decent shape. 

• Like 2

200,000k a week, fucking hell. If there was any doubt that he's only really in it for the money that's been dispelled. I'm glad we steered well clear of him. I'm no fan of those bubble blowing twats in east London, but any player with even a small bit of sporting ambition would have chosen the 'ammers. As for Forest I suppose if he helps keep them up it will be money well spent, but the amount of players Forest are buying and the money spent rarely spells success for promoted sides. Fulham did something similar one of the seasons they came up and they still went straight down. For one thing you lose any camaraderie that was developed in your promotion season, and obviously team cohesion is also lost with so many players trying to gel together. Of course Fulham didn't have anyone of the quality of Lingard in fairness. 

51 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

200,000k a week, fucking hell. If there was any doubt that he's only really in it for the money that's been dispelled. I'm glad we steered well clear of him. I'm no fan of those bubble blowing twats in east London, but any player with even a small bit of sporting ambition would have chosen the 'ammers. As for Forest I suppose if he helps keep them up it will be money well spent, but the amount of players Forest are buying and the money spent rarely spells success for promoted sides. Fulham did something similar one of the seasons they came up and they still went straight down. For one thing you lose any camaraderie that was developed in your promotion season, and obviously team cohesion is also lost with so many players trying to gel together. Of course Fulham didn't have anyone of the quality of Lingard in fairness. 

The link has the correct price lmao

Screenshot_20220721-180748_Twitter.jpg

• Haha 3

Newcastle continue search for attacking reinforcements after Moussa Diaby setback (90min.com)

Our old friend Graeme Bailey at 90 minutes reckons we're biding our time with Calvert-Lewin until later in the window, and are assuming that a) Everton still need to generate money even after selling Richarlison, and b) that they'll be more amenable to giving us a better price later in the window when they're trying to make signings themselves and won't have time to haggle. Well the bit about getting a better price is more my interpretation of it reading between the lines. If correct it would seem that DCL leaving isn't beyond the realms of possibility. Of course if he were available you would assume Man U, assuming Ronaldo goes, Chelsea etc might try and jump in given their problems up front. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season