Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

5 minutes ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

Its reached the point where we need stop shopping in this bracket or at least get it down to 50mil and just pay it

If we can't afford it we won't pay it (FFP etc.) the club (Ashworth and his team) will have a valuation for a player and will offer up to whatever that is, they may (and should) try and get it below that, but definitely just shouldn't pay whatever another club wants out of hand.

Given where we've come from I am so relaxed I am almost comatose about all this transfer malarkey.

• Like 5

Is £60m over the odds for Maddison? I think if you look at what Jesus and Richarlison went for it’s probably about right for a proven PL forward.

We should either pay it - or something closer to it that Leicester might accept rather than throw in another lowball offer before walking away. Or just accept that we can’t afford that calibre of player at this moment and go for Cornet or similar 

58 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

If we can't afford it we won't pay it (FFP etc.) the club (Ashworth and his team) will have a valuation for a player and will offer up to whatever that is, they may (and should) try and get it below that, but definitely just shouldn't pay whatever another club wants out of hand.

Given where we've come from I am so relaxed I am almost comatose about all this transfer malarkey.

Were in August though, we've been doing this all summer, shopping in a certain bracket and then walking away.  If the club due to ffp as you say cant afford it, then can we just stop trying to reach for those players?  Theirs other good players available in the same price bracket as botman and bruno

https://www.transfermarkt.com/spieler-statistik/wertvollstespieler/marktwertetop/plus/0/galerie/0?ausrichtung=Mittelfeld&spielerposition_id=10&altersklasse=alle&jahrgang=0&land_id=0&kontinent_id=0&yt0=Show

https://www.transfermarkt.com/spieler-statistik/wertvollstespieler/marktwertetop/plus/0/galerie/0?ausrichtung=Sturm&spielerposition_id=12&altersklasse=alle&jahrgang=0&land_id=0&kontinent_id=0&yt0=Show

https://www.transfermarkt.com/spieler-statistik/wertvollstespieler/marktwertetop/plus/0/galerie/0?ausrichtung=Sturm&spielerposition_id=14&altersklasse=alle&jahrgang=0&land_id=0&kontinent_id=0&yt0=Show

20 minutes ago, Craig said:

season 1 oops GIF by Dream Corp LLC

Really don't think anyone complaining is in the pissy pant camp. More likely they're just frustrated by our perceived transfer policy at present.

9 minutes ago, MrBass said:

Really don't think anyone complaining is in the pissy pant camp. More likely they're just frustrated by our perceived transfer policy at present.

I haven’t noticed any excessive bed wetting on here either. And I should know - we can smell our own. Twitter is a different story. 

I can see what the owners are trying to do: develop a reputation as tough negotiators so we don’t have the piss taken out of us. Nothing wrong with that in the FFP era - particularly before we sign the big money commercial deals. 

But there will come a point where we have to show our hand and either pay the £50m+ needed for the type of player supporters want or concede we’re not quite ready to shop in that market.  We got Bruno for a great price but I suspect that’s the exception rather than the rule and the likes of Diaby and Maddison will cost more. 

I still think we’ll sign a couple more forward players but we’ll only know how successful the window has been when it closes next month. The annoying thing about it is it doesn’t close before the season starts. I never really understood that. 

• Like 3

Every single post by longtimeadmirer is moaning about transfer policy

I'm with @Toonpack. It would be impoosible for me to be less stressed about the transfer window. I'm pretty confident Ashworth Howe et al have a better idea what's going on than me, and it's possible they might even be a better judge of a player than I am

I'll still be chill if we didn't add anyone else this window

Stay frosty as the departed parky used to say

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Every single post by longtimeadmirer is moaning about transfer policy

I'm with @Toonpack. It would be impoosible for me to be less stressed about the transfer window. I'm pretty confident Ashworth Howe et al have a better idea what's going on than me, and it's possible they might even be a better judge of a player than I am

I'll still be chill if we didn't add anyone else this window

Stay frosty as the departed parky used to say

Not signing another forward player or two would be underwhelming IMO. Maybe I’m greedy but they started with a bang with the window in January. We can probably get through to the next January window with the midfielders and wingers on the books but we’re crying out for a new CF, even if it’s a stopgap loan. Wilson could break down against Forest then we’re stuck with Wood as our only striker for half a season. I don’t think these owners are going to risk that happening. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

I haven’t noticed any excessive bed wetting on here either. And I should know - we can smell our own.

Gloom has gone nose blind.

Does anyone know how much more we can spend under FFP this window. What I'm thinking is if the  budget allowed & we could get Cornett, Werner & Maddison or Barnes. We would have a cracking team. Plus future investment would only probably involve 1 or 2 players in a window. But what do I know 

Think the take away from this thread is that Fofana has signed a new contract with Leicester and as we know Maddison is in the last two years of his, also as someone mentioned they’re not getting 60 mill(?) for him after this summer, add to that they’re apparently only selling one of them ….. I think there’s a good chance he’s coming to SJP… 

Edited by PaddockLad

55 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Not signing another forward player or two would be underwhelming IMO. Maybe I’m greedy but they started with a bang with the window in January. We can probably get through to the next January window with the midfielders and wingers on the books but we’re crying out for a new CF, even if it’s a stopgap loan. Wilson could break down against Forest then we’re stuck with Wood as our only striker for half a season. I don’t think these owners are going to risk that happening. 

Yeah, I don't think it's going to happen either, but if it did I'd just shrug and trust them that it would get sorted soon enough. I'm enjoying having professionals in charge

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

Think the take away from this thread is that Fofana has signed a new contract with Leicester and as we know Maddison is in the last two years of his, also as someone mentioned they’re not getting 60 mill(?) for him after this summer, add to that they’re apparently only selling one of them ….. I think there’s a good chance he’s coming to SJP… 

According to Romano Chelsea have hijacked Man City's bid for Cucurella. Cucurella is a left back of course, but a defensive minded one, so I could easily see him playing on the left of back three given Tuchel favours playing with a three and then wingbacks. So if Chelsea smash 50m on Cucurella I can't see them going after Fofana as well. 

He just tweeted this 

So it looks like Chelsea do actually want Cucurella plus a centre back, so Fofana could be someone they go after. Having said that it's hard to judge who'd be more likely to blink first between Leicester and Leipzig for their star centre backs. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season