Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

2 minutes ago, Craig said:

You see I would, and whilst I disagree with your view, I recognise it's shared by a fair number. I don't think large sections of our fanbase realise what a bloody good keeper we have signed. Many are uttering the line: "he can't be that good, Burnley were relegated." Well yes they were, but they only conceded 53 goals over the course of the season. Only 9 teams conceded less. And to get him for £10m is an utter steal.

Again though the attitude towards him is worse on mainstream social media. This week I've seen comments stating he's utterly shit at distribution, not fit to lace Dubravka's boots, will definitely be a bench warmer, etc. All this before a competitive ball has even been kicked. 

Make no mistake, Pope was a huge statement signing. 

I don’t doubt he’s a good keeper but I don’t think he’s the kind of buy that’ll make other clubs or supporters sit up think, woah they mean business. 

Pope might turn out to be a brilliant signing and it’s clearly good business at the price but he’s the sort of signing you’d expect we were capable of making.

Bruno, Tripper and Maddison are proper statement signings. 

I know it's how it works but my concern is not getting any more/all of the signings in before games are played - being harsh we're playing 4 or 5 games in a kind of twilight zone of possible dropped points but for 1 or 2 better players. 

I know those games include 2 which are probably write-offs anyway being pessimistic but still....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Is that just because he's white?!

Maddison would be a great signing. So would Diaby. Or Sesko. 4 weeks left Gloomy. 

More that he’s English with proven PL experience.

Yup Diaby and Sesko would also be great. As would Paqueta. Particularly at the latest price quoted. But it’s hard not to be excited by what seems to be a genuine attempt to get someone of Maddison’s class. The links to Paqueta and Diaby never progressed this far.

I’ve said repeatedly on here that I expect our remaining business to go to the last week of the window. The danger there though is by trying to drive a hard bargain you end up paying more. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Bruno, Tripper and Maddison are proper statement signings. 

As is Nick Pope, who I don't see a signing I expected us to make. 

Love how much Gloom and wykiki are insistent that "Look I am very clear that NO ONE is pissing their pants round here ok. Just to be absolutely crystal clear, this is a dry pant zone."

I picture them sat together in a hot tub making these declarations. :lol:

• Haha 4

Just now, Craig said:

As is Nick Pope, who I don't see a signing I expected us to make. 

Well I wasn’t that shocked we signed him.

And I doubt many fans of other clubs - or even most Newcastle fans - were surprised to see us sign him from relegated Burnley. 

Taking Trippier from Athletico, who just won the title and were still in the CL.

Persuading  a player of Bruno’s class to come here rather than Arsenal.

Potentially breaking our transfer record to pinch England international Maddison from a side which has consistently finished above us and who we hope to compete with directly for top 8 this season.

Those are proper statement signings.

Suspect we’re going to have to leave it there and agree to disagree or before we head down a St James’ bore-athon.

• Like 1

Just now, Gemmill said:

Love how much Gloom and wykiki are insistent that "Look I am very clear that NO ONE is pissing their pants round here ok. Just to be absolutely crystal clear, this is a dry pant zone."

I picture them sat together in a hot tub making these declarations. :lol:

That trip to the dry cleaners is being kicked down the road for now. 

I won’t rule out a change of avatar if the window closes and we haven’t got a new striker in. 

15 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Slam £40m (in fifty pound notes)  + Dubrvaka  on the table and see what they say.

"No. What else've you got?"

they'll want £60m+ and the substantial portion of it up front.

17 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Slam £40m (in fifty pound notes)  + Dubrvaka  on the table and see what they say.

Make them an offer they can’t refuse and throw a bone-saw on the table too 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, trooper said:

Schmeichel to undergo a medical at Nice within the next 24/48 hours according to SSN

Rogers is on record as saying that he'll trust the two other keepers at the club to fight it out for the leaving Schmeichel's number one spot. Of course if he could get someone of Dubravka's caliber as part of the Maddison deal he may change his mind. 

West Ham are supposedly in for Cornet according to Sky Sports. They reportedly want a loan deal as opposed to buying him outright, so that would likely play in our favour if we pull the pin on going after him. Cue the West Ham melts insisting that we're going after one of their players again, and that we're obsessed, even though numerous teams are after him and all the other decent players that are relatively small in number. 

Edited by Polarboy

Personally I think Maddison would be the biggest statement signing so far. It’s taking the best player from a side that a season ago were miles ahead of us. Bruno obviously is a star and a massive statement, as was Trippier, but I just feel signing probably the best (or close to best) player outside the top 6 from a PL rival is a real statement of intent.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Howay said:

Personally I think Maddison would be the biggest statement signing so far. It’s taking the best player from a side that a season ago were miles ahead of us. Bruno obviously is a star and a massive statement, as was Trippier, but I just feel signing probably the best (or close to best) player outside the top 6 from a PL rival is a real statement of intent.

Donald Trump Republicans GIF by Election 2016

23 minutes ago, Howay said:

Totally agree. 

Bruno, at the time for me was a significant risk - as I think the acquisition of ANY overseas player who's never played in the English game before is a risk so whilst I think he's an absolute star and prove to be a quality acquisition, I didn't at that stage see it as the biggest statement. Trippier was more of a statement signing for me. 

• Like 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season