Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

You'd think that Ashworth would have been privy to any release clause held by Brighton players, and £35m is a steal for Mac Allister. You'd have thought he'd have been all over it.

The contract was signed after Ashworth left and I don't think it was as straightforward as a simple 'you can go to anyone who offers £35m' clause.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I can see he’s a good player. Is he actually better than Willock for example though? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Different, but I think so yeah. Plus, he's foreign, so y'know. 

7 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Apparently that Lavia has a buy back clause to City and they fancy him again.  Maybe @LondonBluecan shed some light on this.

£40m buyback clause in summer 2024, I think. So they're gonna want that minimum for him to go any sooner.

If we could get the players mentioned in that article and then make an inevitable unexpected whopper of a signing (along the lines of Isak), it would be good progress.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Apparently that Lavia has a buy back clause to City and they fancy him again.  Maybe @LondonBluecan shed some light on this.

We let him go because at his age he needs to play. We often do that but throw in buyback and sell on clauses.

I believe most City fans are of the view that he's not good enough for us or that there isn't a spot for him.

I think that when Pep sees something in a player he promotes to the first team squad to see if they can make the next step (Foden, Cole Palmer, Rico Lewis), he doesn't let them leave(we had no choice with Jaden Sancho as he was impatient to play)

Lavia got a couple of cup appearances and, for me, didn't impress.

Some blues would argue that he's better that Kalvin Phillips ( i'm firmly in the give KP time camp. injuries and learning peps way ). Either way KP is in his way.

He does have a cool name mind.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, The Fish said:

You'd think that Ashworth would have been privy to any release clause held by Brighton players, and £35m is a steal for Mac Allister. You'd have thought he'd have been all over it.

The BBC are reporting the figure as £55m. Not sure if this includes a lot of add ons.

City fans had hopes for Bellingham but clearly that ship has sailed. Not too worried given the size of the fee. He's no way worth more than Jack to us. Not too sure who else improves our squad though.

We might go for Gvardiol (if laporte goes), Kovacic (if 20-30m), Veiga (i think his agent is doing a great job of linking him to everyone), Kimmich (if bayern need to raise funds)

We might bring McAtee back from Sheffield 

City play their cards so close to their chest these days. They kept quiet on links to Jude, maybe we were interested maybe he was always too costly.

11 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The BBC are reporting the figure as £55m. Not sure if this includes a lot of add ons.

I've read £35m with £20m of add ons.  Still seems cheap.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I've read £35m with £20m of add ons.  Still seems cheap.

There are different prices for different clubs don't you know. New money clubs pay a levy that the history clubs aren't subject to. I count us, you and chelsea in the new money clubs and the 2 cheeks of the same red arse as the history clubs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

If we are shopping in the relegated bin I'd be happy enough with Maddison and Lavia for our 6 and 8/10 positions. I'm confident Howe could bring out Lavia's obvious potential. Walker Peters I'm not sure is much better than Targett, but I probably haven't watched him closely enough to make that judgement. Being able to play both full back positions is obviously a plus however. As Gemmill said though, I'd hope and expect we'd sign one or two more exciting players outside the relegated ones. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 2

I love this article. be warned it's written by an aging city fan about haaland and city. it does however reference how we could have been just another sunderland.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/inside-no-9-the-berserk-grace-of-erling-haaland/

And then there he was. Erling Braut Haaland. Blotting out the sun but letting in the light.

He’d been somewhere else for a few years, playing for other clubs, belonging to other fans, onlookers and professional observers, a distant rumour that in the few months before he signed for Manchester City became more than a rumour. Beating drums started to sound nearer, as though caused by his bare running feet as he galloped like a young, carefree god across mythical landscapes on the hunt for rare booty and various kinds of tasty new blood. The 22-year-old Haaland was bursting out of the bold, brash yellow of Borussia Dortmund and slipping into the cool sky blue of Manchester City, and an altogether different experience.

I’m a City fan always expecting the worst. I started to fret that Haaland looked grumpy and lost and that he agreed with Carragher when he drifted or accelerated inside a force field that seemed to make him invisible to other City players, even to De Bruyne, who at times could sense Haaland’s presence even when he was in one of his other dimensions – like a Belgian timelord who could send the ball into the future, just as Haaland materialised, built for the moment, capable of changing shape in mid-air.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

If we are shopping in the relegated bin I'd be happy enough with Maddison and Lavia for our 6 and 8/10 positions. I'm confident Howe could bring out Lavia's obvious potential. Walker Peters I'm not sure is much better than Targett, but I probably haven't watched him closely enough to make that judgement. Being able to play both full back positions is obviously a plus however. As Gemmill said though, I'd hope and expect we'd sign one or two more exciting players outside the relegated ones. 

don't fret, the chicken man just likes the negative angle

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

don't fret, the chicken man just likes the negative angle

It makes sense though. If you're looking to stretch your budget there is some very good players in those relegated teams, and they of course all have Premier League experience. The other Champions League teams are also more likely to buy the more fancied La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga players, while we should be able to gazump the other PL teams given what we can offer them in terms of CL football etc. Again though as I said I wouldn't be as negative as chicken nonce in that I'd expect us to sign one or two surprise marquee signings as well. 

Just now, Polarboy said:

It makes sense though. If you're looking to stretch your budget there is some very good players in those relegated teams, and they of course all have Premier League experience. The other Champions League teams are also more likely to buy the more fancied La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga players, while we should be able to gazump the other PL teams given what we can offer them in terms of CL football etc. Again though as I said I wouldn't be as negative as chicken nonce in that I'd expect us to sign one or two surprise marquee signings as well. 

yeah, no harm in picking up a cut-price Barnes or Maddison from Leicester. It won't all be bargain-hunting though - i expect we will pick up one or two from Harrods too

Through DAZN and a colleague who works with them and with Atlético de Madrid, they have told me that they have been able to see a report from Newcastle scouts that they made in February about potential players who could be signed at the club.

They are going to try to get me the entire report, but they have told me that the names of Santiago Mouriño (Young Defender of Uruguay) and Paul Schuurs (Central Defender of Torino and the Netherlands) appeared.

Schuurs was the player who played as a central partner with Botman in the Netherlands Sub21.

And Mouriño is almost closed by Atletico. 

• Like 3

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season